ZMF Verite Open
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #6,887 of 9,521
The answer is a demo. Try to demo Elise somewhere and find your answer. Indeed, prices increased for Elise since the revision 2021 but you can find a decent one on Classifieds for a much lower price. I sold my Elise for 700 EUR in almost perfect condition...

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #6,888 of 9,521
Elise was on my radar for a while, but it's $2k I'm hesitant to spend. It's steep for me as far as amps that I haven't heard go, plus I may need to upgrade the tubes. I already use an Aeolus when I want a warm/laid back listen. I can either hold onto my Aeolus and use them with my neutral SS Soloist 3XP and also pretty neutral Quicksilver Tube Amp, (Do I even keep both of these??), or sell my Aeolus and buy an Elise for my Vérité for that warm eargasmic euphony? Is the Elise too warm? That's my dilemma.
Having 2 headphones will definitely provide more variety in terms of flavor than say 2 amps and 1 headphone. Unless you have some qualms about the Aeolus its best to stick with what you have.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #6,889 of 9,521
Solid state amps I've enjoyed with the Verite--iFi Micro Black, especially with the 3D+ enabled (which I didn't like with most headphones), Hugo 1, Hugo 2, TT2, and iFi Pro iCAN. In other words, every SS I've had since owning the Verite seemed to be a great match. I prefer tubes but sometimes use SS when I don't feel like waiting for tube warm up or for a bit of difference.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #6,891 of 9,521
@Pharmaboy Have you watched this yet...??
Yes, I have.

It's great to see MonsterZero back at it again (the man knows headphone audio).

IMO this is a case of "attention must be paid" considering who makes this new amp & who made this video.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #6,892 of 9,521
Hi,

Most of you, including Zach, recommend tube amps for Verite, and do any of you use a solid-state amplifier and think this solution works perfectly as well? I have Verite Closed and I also ordered Verite Open African Blackwood. I love these headphones. Now I have to buy an amplifier for them, but also for Abyss 1266 Phi TC.

Thanks,

Michal.

I've heard Verite Opens on a wide range of high-end solid state and tube amps at shows...it sounds rather amazing on big tube amps. In my system, I've heard my VO with 5 solid-state amps, the best of which is the Violectric V281.

The VO and its stablemate, the Aeolus, are among the least amp-picky headphones I've ever heard. I can't get either one to sound less than terrific on any amp.

The VO sounds fantastic on the V281 and the Liquid Carbon v2; it also sounds pretty fine on my OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3. Other people have bigger/badder amps for their VOs, but you needn't go nuts with amps to get great sound out of the VO.

Oct 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6,893 of 9,521
The VO sounds fantastic on the V281 and the Liquid Carbon v2; it also sounds pretty fine on my OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3. Other people have bigger/badder amps for their VOs, but you needn't go nuts with amps to get great sound out of the VO.
Totally agree with that statement @Pharmaboy, the VO and VC sound fantastic on my Euforia and I wouldn’t see a need to go bigger, but I haven’t heard the Airmid yet either. 🙂

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #6,895 of 9,521
I just ordered the Blackwoods with brass. My only concern is that the brass will tarnish over time - does anyone have experience with this? I would expect the rods are easy to clean if needed, however the grille looks tricky to shine up with all of its complexities. (I believe they're non removable, correct?)

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #6,896 of 9,521
I just ordered the Blackwoods with brass. My only concern is that the brass will tarnish over time - does anyone have experience with this? I would expect the rods are easy to clean if needed, however the grille looks tricky to shine up with all of its complexities. (I believe they're non removable, correct?)

Brass will turn darker over time (unless it's sealed). Really nothing you can do about it in this case other than try to apply a sealant. Most people prefer the look of patina over new brass.

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #6,897 of 9,521
I've heard Verite Opens on a wide range of high-end solid state and tube amps at shows...it sounds rather amazing on big tube amps. In my system, I've heard my VO with 5 solid-state amps, the best of which is the Violectric V281.

The VO and its stablemate, the Aeolus, are among the least amp-picky headphones I've ever heard. I can't get either one to sound less than terrific on any amp.

Kind of agree with this statement, even simple topping a30pro sound sublime with Verite Open.

Has a little drawback though, for example I don't think Chord TT2 worth the price until I use Diana Phi on it. Sure Verite still sound awesome on TT2, easily better than Hugo 2, but the "step up" is definitely less significant compared to Diana Phi. Could be matter of synergy/preference too of course.

My most favourite amp fpr VO now goes to Oblivion, so wideee staging, with solid and dense tone.

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #6,900 of 9,521
That is interesting. Could You elaborate more on this pairing (especially with comparisons to some other amps)?

Some other amps were alo studio six, wells milo kozmo, and formula s. Milo produce hiss (as background noise) on Verite, so that's bad synergy for me even though actually they sound engaging, warm, fast pace, and retain full body sound.

Formula s is kind of neutral, fast decay, clarity, and nice imaging structure. Alo studio six is really nice actually, netral-warmish kind of sound with big soundstage, and sweet vocal, but never too syrupy.

Oblivion, on top of them, produce the biggest soundstage, most structured imaging, not just being full, but being solid and dense for each notes. Neutral-warm kind of like Studio Six, but decay is faster on Oblivion. Both tube amps are pleasing smooth sounding while still giving sparkle and airy feeling on top. Oblivion offer more kick and impact on bottom.

Other amps tested were singxer sa-1, topping A90 and topping a30pro. Singxer is my top choice in this chifi comparison, and a30pro has the strongest value/performance ratio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back