ZMF Verite Open
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6,406 of 9,511
The joke was obvious to me.😛 I would think wood type could be more of a factor in closed headphones if there is any at all. I just completed a cable build using 8 strand extremely pure copper and it has improved the sound on some VO’s I am sampling IMHO.

448A6768-E1FA-467B-9E94-A7B9A2ADC5E9.jpeg
Looks beautiful, too :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #6,408 of 9,511
Looks beautiful, too :)
I used Neutrik four pin mini xlr's, I prefer the way they lock down on the cable compared to other brands but that is just my preference. I pick up little to no microphony with this cable so I preferred not to cover it in any kind of mesh material.

This cable is a gift for @PsilocybinCube for his kindness in loaning me some VO's to sample. :L3000:

9659EC71-DD0F-465F-924A-0E018BEEF52B.jpeg

The braid.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,409 of 9,511
My actual expectation is that whatever sonic differences are there are so minute that they would be imperceptible (or barely perceptible) vs. the other woods.
While that's true, sometimes we audiophile person tend to pick that minute detail to decide which rig suit our ears more. For example: I will never part of my Pheasantwood to change for Silkwood. Not because the cosmetic, but because of the sound difference.

Anyway, after use Topping A90 for the last few days (with chord qutest as dac), I can confirm this amp is steal for the price and have great synergy with Verite. For anyone that look for more budget desktop amp to drive Verite or ZMF in general, A90 get my strong recommendation. Clearly better than smsl sp200.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #6,410 of 9,511
While that's true, sometimes we audiophile person tend to pick that minute detail to decide which rig suit our ears more. For example: I will never part of my Pheasantwood to change for Silkwood. Not because the cosmetic, but because of the sound difference.

Anyway, after use Topping A90 for the last few days (with chord qutest as dac), I can confirm this amp is steal for the price and have great synergy with Verite. For anyone that look for more budget desktop amp to drive Verite or ZMF in general, A90 get my strong recommendation. Clearly better than smsl sp200.
Good to know. I like having a SS and tube amp in the same setup. The A90 seems like it would be a good 'control' amp if the the tube amp is acting as the 'experimental' aspect of the chain. I will listen to a SS amp while the tubes fully heat up to give a nice a/b comparison once I plug into the tube amp. And of course, SS balanced is nice if there are any ground loop/noise issues.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #6,411 of 9,511
Haha, your avatar is a photo I took of the Blackwoods at my house! I had to look twice, thinking to myself "that looks familiar".
You're one lucky dude! African Blackwood is my favorite wood color of all time. I can't wait to finally own a Blackwood Verite.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #6,413 of 9,511
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #6,414 of 9,511
You're one lucky dude! African Blackwood is my favorite wood color of all time. I can't wait to finally own a Blackwood Verite.

Yeah, it's incredibly nice wood and looks great in person. I ended up preferring the sound of silkwood for the VO, so I sold the blackwood. Both are exceptional headphones though. The density of the blackwood really helps take advantage of the driver's speed.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #6,415 of 9,511
That is gorgeous wood and a hard wood to boot!

What put me over the edge and made me want to place an order is the African Blackwood reputation for it's tone. Both guitars and woodwind instruments have a long established and respected history using this wood for it's unique tone.

I actually view ZMFs in general and the Verite specifically as being a sort of musical instrument. I'm hoping the special tonal qualities of this wood shine through. And as a side benefit I'm really excited about the visual appeal. Special wood indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #6,416 of 9,511

yes, the A90 goes quite well with VO, good sound stage, warmer and punchier than THX789.....
my amp roadmap is a tube amp next, so far Cayin HA6A is my target..... then my endgame SS amp Luxman P750u

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #6,417 of 9,511
yes, the A90 goes quite well with VO, good sound stage, warmer and punchier than THX789.....
my amp roadmap is a tube amp next, so far Cayin HA6A is my target..... then my endgame SS amp Luxman P750u
The Luxman is outstanding :). It's by far my favorite SS amp.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #6,418 of 9,511
Since being blessed to have the opportunity to listen to both the VO and VC in my system (Hugo 2 > WA5 > Norne Sliverguard S3-C > VO/VC) I've sold my Abyss 1266, Utopia and I'm experiencing headphone nirvana. For the first time in my HeadFi experience, I have zero desire to buy, or even listen to anything else, I'm absolutely satisfied, no thrilled, with what I have. Not to sound like a spoiled (I am so blessed), materialistic person, I'm really not, but I'm sure many of you can relate in your audio journeys. Where once the ”new toy” phenomenon starts wearing off, I get restless, an itch to try something new, with my current rig, I'm cured of that symptom of audio Nervosa. These headphones are that good, I tend to prefer rock, jazz, and the blues with the VC, they have such incredible immediacy, its like nothing else. Then for classical and opera, the VO’s slightly more relaxed and wins the day!
Since being blessed to have the opportunity to listen to both the VO and VC in my system (Hugo 2 > WA5 > Norne Sliverguard S3-C > VO/VC) I've sold my Abyss 1266, Utopia and I'm experiencing headphone nirvana. For the first time in my HeadFi experience, I have zero desire to buy, or even listen to anything else, I'm absolutely satisfied, no thrilled, with what I have. Not to sound like a spoiled (I am so blessed), materialistic person, I'm really not, but I'm sure many of you can relate in your audio journeys. Where once the ”new toy” phenomenon starts wearing off, I get restless, an itch to try something new, with my current rig, I'm cured of that symptom of audio Nervosa. These headphones are that good, I tend to prefer rock, jazz, and the blues with the VC, they have such incredible immediacy, its like nothing else. Then for classical and opera, the VO’s slightly more relaxed and wins the day!
Are u referring to the 1266 tc? Or the first 1266?

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #6,420 of 9,511
Blackwood and Ironwood are both really hard woods so I doubt there will be much sonic difference between them, especially with the fast Verite drivers.....
So from a pure sound perspective, is it worth getting the better woods for 200 more or the regular one sounds pretty much the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back