ZMF Verite Open
Jun 2, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #6,391 of 9,511
Thanks go out to @PsilocybinCube for lending me a pair of Verite opens. It is early in my listening and this afternoon I will try them with some music recorded especially for listening and judging equipment. DAC at the moment is a Schiit Gungnir, headphone amp is one of my own design, a class A OTL using a rare Melz 6sn7 equivalent with a Tung Sol 5998.
Enjoy. Interested to hear your thoughts after you get a few days with it.

I'm renewing my love for the Eikon while they are gone. Interested to see where you land on tube combos. I liked the Chatham 6as7g even more than the 421a for whatever reason with those.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #6,392 of 9,511
Enjoy. Interested to hear your thoughts after you get a few days with it.

I'm renewing my love for the Eikon while they are gone. Interested to see where you land on tube combos. I liked the Chatham 6as7g even more than the 421a for whatever reason with those.
I will have to break out a Chatham bottom getter then.😀 Mids are strong no doubt but maybe a change in tubes will dial in the high frequencies.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #6,395 of 9,511
Hi all, if anyone has Vérité Open that they are willing to part with and ship to UK.... Please PM me. Thanks!
good timing.... I think/bet someone will part with their limited wood edition and use your fund to reinvest into Blackwood edition..... I think you should consider which previous limited edition you like....

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #6,396 of 9,511
good timing.... I think/bet someone will part with their limited wood edition and use your fund to reinvest into Blackwood edition..... I think you should consider which previous limited edition you like....
Having chatted with a few head-fiers and seen some more reviews, I've decided to try and pick up a Vérité Closed instead of the VO.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #6,397 of 9,511
Having chatted with a few head-fiers and seen some more reviews, I've decided to try and pick up a Vérité Closed instead of the VO.
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there's no "wrong" answer. It boils down to a matter of preference. I don't get along too well with closed backs, so I went with the VO...the VC is rather awesome as well IMO...enjoy!!

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,398 of 9,511
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there's no "wrong" answer. It boils down to a matter of preference. I don't get along too well with closed backs, so I went with the VO...the VC is rather awesome as well IMO...enjoy!!
I have owned some closed backs but my preference is usually open. I have spent five days listening to the VO compared to Focal Utopias and the VO's offered a nice change of pace and do very well in midrange IMHO. Looks and comfort are superb.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #6,400 of 9,511
Has anyone had the fortune of hearing the new Blackwood VOs yet?!
They probably have a darker sound and blacker background than the Desert Ironwood.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #6,401 of 9,511
The difference between desert ironwood and blackwood should be minimal. Silkwood too blackwood is very small, decay should be faster on the harder woods. You should pick wood depending on what you like imo. Personally I prefer longer decay as it sounds to me more pleasing.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #6,402 of 9,511
They probably have a darker sound and blacker background than the Desert Ironwood.
Blackwood and Ironwood are both really hard woods so I doubt there will be much sonic difference between them, especially with the fast Verite drivers.....

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #6,403 of 9,511
In my head, the sarcasm was obvious...but it didn't translate. Sorry. I was really referring to the blackwood (aesthetically) as being 'darker' and with a 'blacker' background.

My actual expectation is that whatever sonic differences are there are so minute that they would be imperceptible (or barely perceptible) vs. the other woods.

Sorry for the bad wood joke. I'll go back to listening to music now.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #6,404 of 9,511
In my head, the sarcasm was obvious...but it didn't translate. Sorry. I was really referring to the blackwood (aesthetically) as being 'darker' and with a 'blacker' background.

My actual expectation is that whatever sonic differences are there are so minute that they would be imperceptible (or barely perceptible) vs. the other woods.

Sorry for the bad wood joke. I'll go back to listening to music now.
The joke was obvious to me.😛 I would think wood type could be more of a factor in closed headphones if there is any at all. I just completed a cable build using 8 strand extremely pure copper and it has improved the sound on some VO’s I am sampling IMHO.

448A6768-E1FA-467B-9E94-A7B9A2ADC5E9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back