ZMF Verite Open
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #586 of 9,521
Got a chance to put ears on them at the factory, they are very very resolving, more colored than the Auteur, and have a bigger sound stage. Huge low end and mid bass, more than the Auteur, brighter than the Auteur — think of a mix between the Utopia and the HD800, and you have the Verite.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #588 of 9,521
Only comment that makes me worries is "bright", any sibilance present? that is one thing that turns me off to a can immediately..
It depends on how treble sensitive the reviewer is. I've read more impressions that said they were darker than bright. You'll probably have to hear them yourselves to know if you like the treble.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #589 of 9,521
Got a chance to put ears on them at the factory, they are very very resolving, more colored than the Auteur, and have a bigger sound stage. Huge low end and mid bass, more than the Auteur, brighter than the Auteur — think of a mix between the Utopia and the HD800, and you have the Verite.
Utopia is a colored can now ? im really confused are you describing treble to be hd800/utopia like

Coloured- Having timbres that are not true to life. Non flat response; peaks or dips is this what people are talking about ?? But isnt the verite suppose to sound natural ?? I dont understand whats going on anymore

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #590 of 9,521
Utopia is a colored can now ? im really confuses are you describing treble to be hd800/utopia like
The Utopia is bright/neutral like the Verite and the HD800, and unlike the Auteur which is neutral/slightly dark.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #592 of 9,521
The Verite does not sound like the hd800. Just my $0.02

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #593 of 9,521
The Utopia is bright/neutral like the Verite and the HD800, and unlike the Auteur which is neutral/slightly dark.

Which pads were you using on the Verite? Also what amp?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #594 of 9,521
The Verite does not sound like the hd800. Just my $0.02

I think they’re fairly similar, but the Verite is faster and has more bass presence. Why do you feel they are dissimilar?

I was using vegan pads I think, I forget.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #595 of 9,521
Funny, I would call Utopia (w/ stock pads) somewhat bright, but I wouldn't call my Blackwood Auteur dark. I wonder if this is an amp pairing difference, or just 'your ears, my ears'.

Of course, I've heard impressions of Auteur along the lines of 'dull/boring/lifeless', while I hear them as energetic/exciting/lively.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #596 of 9,521
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #597 of 9,521

We had a Vegan listener come over before you did so my apologies if I left those on for your session, they would make them a touch brighter. There were two sets out there though and I think one had leather pads on it at least?

The Verite frequency response is darker than auteur, but the transient speed makes up for a lot of it. For me, the Verite pads on Verite (flatter pads) is fairly linear in a gentle down-slope kind of way, and the Universe pads are more 3D, bassier/warmer and more forgiving in the treble.

The headphones ship with Universe on them but it's been 50/50 on user preference so far. I don't think anyone has called them sibilant yet!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #598 of 9,521
Sounds like the universe pads are my choice then! I never really placed much attention to comments about pads before the Autuer - their signature changes substantially depending on the pads used with them, was quite an experience for someone new to high end cans to actually experience the differences first-hand. As much as others can describe, measure, or articulate the sound of a headphone it is much like art and so subjective and a personal experience of the listener.

Can't wait to experience these Verite first hand :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #599 of 9,521
Why do you feel they are dissimilar?
The hd800 has an artificially wide stage, that infamous 6k peak, and sounds overly bright and lacking in bass freq to me. Verite has a far better, more naturally correct stage (if that makes sense), doesn't lack in bass freqs, is way faster and presents the music more coherently to my ears.

Now, I did hear a silkwood with Verite pads, and maybe that's where you're coming from. That one sounded bass light and brighter. The pheasant wood with universe pads are way different sounding.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #600 of 9,521
The Verite frequency response is darker than auteur, but the transient speed makes up for a lot of it. For me, the Verite pads on Verite (flatter pads) is fairly linear in a gentle down-slope kind of way, and the Universe pads are more 3D, bassier/warmer and more forgiving in the treble.(Quote)

This is what I am hoping for with the Verite. For the short time I owned the Auteur I found the stock pads too bright and used the Eikon pads. I never got around to trying the suede pads. Sounds like the Universe pads will be my preferred choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back