ZMF Verite Open
Sep 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #5,071 of 9,534
I would highly recommend Feliks Echo. Dead quiet, elegant and solid build, and quality components. A really solid entry level OTL amp. The head-fi thread on this amp is pretty small and populated by tube noobs like myself and there aren't a huge amount of reviews available, though they are all very positive.

I've read on SABF that Feliks amps push the mids more upfront. I haven't heard their other amps, but I can confirm this does happen with the stock tubes on the Echo. This is a blessing when paired with VO, since it makes up for the VO's slight mids recess. I'm in the process of getting 6922 and 7308 tubes to roll instead of the stock russian 6N1P driver tubes.

You can either buy from upscaleaudio (the US distributor) or from Feliks directly, but possibly be subject to USD to EUR conversion and import/customs fees. These basically never get sold second-hand on head-fi or ebay. Take that for what it's worth.

When you are ready to tube roll. Check out these guides, among many.
https://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html
https://upscaleaudio.com/pages/the-ultimate-guide-to-tube-rolling-introduction

Hope it helps!

Yup. The echo is just an amazing pairing to the VO. I can absolutely vouch for the stock tubes that come with it.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #5,072 of 9,534
I was going in the direction of the Euforia until I rememberd how crazy down the tube rabbit hole some on their tube rolling forum had gone! :money_mouth:

I dunno, I have feliks Elise (driving ZMF Auteur) and learned a ton about tube rolling from the Elise and Euforia threads. You don't have to go all in with, external heaters, anode caps and such but the amps are VERY versatile. I use some simple socket adapters made by a fellow headfier (@Deyan ) which opened up really enjoyable tube possibilities. Feliks are great OTL's and IMO have terrific synergy with ZMF dynamics.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #5,073 of 9,534
you don't have to go all in with, external heaters, anode caps and such but the amps are VERY versatile.
I believe you loryWiv, but I know ME and I would go all the way down that rabbit hole searching for the best Elise or Euforia tubes. I've done it with a basic Vali 2, Garage 1217, Liquid Platinum and now a Pendant!

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #5,074 of 9,534
I believe you loryWiv, but I know ME and I would go all the way down that rabbit hole searching for the best Elise or Euforia tubes. I've done it with a basic Vali 2, Garage 1217, Liquid Platinum and now a Pendant!
Point taken, @nwavesailor. Self-knowledge is a beautiful thing, and healthier for your sanity / wallet. :)

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #5,075 of 9,534
Sep 3, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #5,077 of 9,534

I like going down rabbit holes...it's "proof of life."

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #5,078 of 9,534
I like going down rabbit holes...it's "proof of life."
Don't get me wrong, I like the hunting and searching for the rare gems! Like everyone, I then use the ones I prefer and most go unused. When I move on to another tube amp or player, I have a lot of type X tubes that sit in a box.
I am good at buying and I need to do some selling.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #5,079 of 9,534
My Camphor Burl VO is finally here, and it's time for a burn-in!

I'll let you guys know if I hear any difference between the CB and Cocobolo.
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1797.jpgIMG_1802.jpgIMG_1813.jpg

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #5,081 of 9,534
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #5,084 of 9,534

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back