ZMF Verite Open
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #4,531 of 9,518
That is I think an underrated aspect of headphones disappearing sonically is when they are so comfortable on your head that you forget you are really wearing them. I think the Verite Open with Silk wood and Magnesium parts is so light and the design of the headband and cup adjustments are so good that it just disappears on your head which also helps it disappear sonically and the ergonomics help the audio. (and I don't think Silk wood is the only type of ZMF headphone that does this more that they seem to exemplify it in a great way).

I wouldn't necessarily call them light. "Light" to me is something like ATH ADX5000 or the Ether 2 at under 300g. Although I wouldn't call Verite a slouch. Far from it actually compared to cans like Audezes and Heddphone. At weight comparable to Verite, I think Meze Empyrean is the most comfortable to wear for long sessions.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #4,532 of 9,518
I wouldn't necessarily call them light. "Light" to me is something like ATH ADX5000 or the Ether 2 at under 300g. Although I wouldn't call Verite a slouch. Far from it actually compared to cans like Audezes and Heddphone. At weight comparable to Verite, I think Meze Empyrean is the most comfortable to wear for long sessions.

I don't think the Silk wood ZMF are light in comparison to other headphones on the market more that they are light compared to other ZMF headphones and still bring that well rounded and dynamic sound. Then overall they are light enough that they do seem to disappear on my head. I listen to them for 3-4 hours straight sometimes and I think the main thing is I don't end a session thinking that they are heavy headphones or wishing they were built differently.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #4,533 of 9,518
I don't think the Silk wood ZMF are light in comparison to other headphones on the market more that they are light compared to other ZMF headphones and still bring that well rounded and dynamic sound. Then overall they are light enough that they do seem to disappear on my head. I listen to them for 3-4 hours straight sometimes and I think the main thing is I don't end a session thinking that they are heavy headphones or wishing they were built differently. I have lighter headphones but they trade off other things.

Gotcha. I typically listen for several hours in one sitting, and at the end of the day, in my opinion, no matter how comfortable and ergonomic your HPs are, less weight is still the 'king.' That makes me want to gravitate toward speakers when able to, which equals to zero on top of my head. If only Zack would hurry up and send my package, I can test how comfortable verites are 🙄

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #4,534 of 9,518
If the tube does that more than once you'll likely want to replace it, but pops when tubes are warming up are fairly normal, it'd always safe to let the amp warm for about 10 minutes to make sure the tubes are warm and fully "popped."

Thanks @zach915m fair enough; I knew pops were reasonably common but that spooked the hell out of me; in the five years or so I've had other tube amps I've had a few minor pops but absolutely nothing like that.

Re ten minutes to warm up - I assume you're saying don't plug in the headphones for the first ten minutes or so - and then plug them in the with the volume all the way down?

Similarly when unplugging, is it a reversal - volume all the way down, headphones out and then amp off?

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,535 of 9,518
Similarly when unplugging, is it a reversal - volume all the way down, headphones out and then amp off?

Best practice would be to turn the amp off before pulling the connector.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,536 of 9,518
To be fair, I've not had any headphones from ZMF that weren't beautiful.

My original Pheasantwood set were rather nice:

ZMF Verite - Colors (1024).jpg

And I love my Ziricote pair:

Verite - Ziricote - QnD (1024).jpg

And then he's a quick PS job to show what the Cocobolo ones would like for whoever it was who was pondering doing Cocobolo with polished steel:

Verite (Cocobolo) - Cups Flat (PS Steel) 1024.jpg

I really like the look above, but one thing I am particularly looking forward to with the copper hardware is that, being uncoated, it's going to oxidize and should result in a lovely patina (ultimately becoming quite green), and it'll be interesting to see how that turns out and whether I decide to keep them that way, or just to periodically polished them.

In my journey to collecting pictures of limited Verite from this thread, these are among of the best photos from them all indeed!

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #4,537 of 9,518
Thanks @zach915m fair enough; I knew pops were reasonably common but that spooked the hell out of me; in the five years or so I've had other tube amps I've had a few minor pops but absolutely nothing like that.

Re ten minutes to warm up - I assume you're saying don't plug in the headphones for the first ten minutes or so - and then plug them in the with the volume all the way down?

10 minutes is just an absolute safest measure amount of time, it won't be done totally warming up as tube amps usually take 20 to 30 mins, but the popping should be done if you have tubes that do it. Some of my favorite tubes pop some or have static as they are warming up but sound great after 20 mins, the amperex 6080s I have right now in my feliks do that.

And yep - always best to unplug the headphones from the amp while still on, and then turn off afterwards. I think safest habit is never doing anything with the power switch while the headphones are plugged in.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #4,539 of 9,518
I couldn't wait anymore.

Just placed an order for a Camphor Burl with stainless steel grills, extra universe perforated suede pads and 2 bocote Salire headphone stands.

Now the long wait begins
Congratulations, welcome to the waiting lounge. It may feel like purgatory, but there is an end in sight.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #4,540 of 9,518
Congratulations, welcome to the waiting lounge. It may feel like purgatory, but there is an end in sight.

Just looked at the waiting list. Wow all the lists grew a lot, since I ordered my Auteurs. Nice to see ZMF sell a lot of headphones.

The daily checking the waiting list is always fun :D

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #4,541 of 9,518
10 minutes is just an absolute safest measure amount of time, it won't be done totally warming up as tube amps usually take 20 to 30 mins, but the popping should be done if you have tubes that do it.
I got a tube from eBay for my GOTL last week that had a TERRIBLE and LOUD noise. I was going to contact the seller and ask to return it for a refund (it was stated in the listing that the tube has been tested for noise!). That was on my sacrificial headphones, of course!!
Long story short, I let the amp run with said headphones for 15-20 minutes, and... viola! Totally quiet (and sound pretty damn good) :wink:
I have had some tubes in the past that made a little bit of noise warming up, but NEVER anything like that! Live and learn...

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4,542 of 9,518
Just looked at the waiting list.

The daily checking the waiting list is always fun :D

Lots of updates coming this weekend on all the wait lists I wish I got to it more often. Shipping V Closed today, lots of leopardwood going out.:gs1000smile:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #4,543 of 9,518
Lots of updates coming this weekend on all the wait lists I wish I got to it more often. Shipping V Closed today, lots of leopardwood going out.:gs1000smile:
I hope my leopardwood VC is in that bunch going out today, but I'm not sure of it. I've been waiting since April 10th .... and waiting and waiting. :beyersmile:

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #4,544 of 9,518
10 minutes is just an absolute safest measure amount of time, it won't be done totally warming up as tube amps usually take 20 to 30 mins, but the popping should be done if you have tubes that do it. Some of my favorite tubes pop some or have static as they are warming up but sound great after 20 mins, the amperex 6080s I have right now in my feliks do that.

And yep - always best to unplug the headphones from the amp while still on, and then turn off afterwards. I think safest habit is never doing anything with the power switch while the headphones are plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back