ZMF Verite Open
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #2,731 of 9,521
Thanks Hans, long time no speak. :)

The Sansui is not just sweet but incredibly powerful at 160w rms into 8 ohms. Those are conservative watts in 1995. When driving my tower speakers, it has tremendous grip and drive. When the Sansui engineer set out to design this amp, he had in mind the 1st gen Sansui AU-111 tube amp the tone of which he loves. It works really well with my headphones too. Pretty neutral with a touch of tube amp goodness.
http://www.sansui.us/issues_AU111vsAL907MR.htm

Sorry for the digression but Verite sound incredible driven by the 907MR.
Not an intrusion at all... @Monsterzero has said repeatedly that ZMF cans pair well with many receivers (mainly vintage). No surprise there's a good pairing there!

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,732 of 9,521
Not an intrusion at all... @Monsterzero has said repeatedly that ZMF cans pair well with many receivers (mainly vintage). No surprise there's a good pairing there!

Yup. If I didnt have a GOTL I would be using one of my many receivers to drive ZMF headphones,and have zero complaints. There's so much power hiding inside those old beasts!:L3000:

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2,733 of 9,521
Yup. If I didnt have a GOTL I would be using one of my many receivers to drive ZMF headphones,and have zero complaints. There's so much power hiding inside those old beasts!:L3000:

Definitely one of the advantages of 300 ohm drivers. Lots of amping flexibility on these.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #2,734 of 9,521
Just got my Verite today so here is my super early impressions with no burn-in with the universe perforated suede pads running balanced by the monolith THX desktop amp/dac:

Unfortunately I was very disappointed to the point where I could not listen to them because they look so freaking gorgeous!.
I had to hold them with my hand to look at them every two minutes. I guess I need to place a mirror besides my desk so I can finally listen and LOOK! at them at the same time :D

Drooling aside, the build is excellent but a bit heavy tho (ziricote+brass), the headband system is just genius, when I watched ZMF headband bending TY video I thought "damn this gonna be a pain in the *** to adjust" but surprisingly it was not, it's very flexible and comfy and the fact that you can adjust the clamp is why I called them ingeniously designed.

About the sound the first thing that struck me is the SPEED! of their drivers it was immediately noticeable they are a league above my other headphones (hifiman ananda, focal elex).
The mid bass was a bit elevated tho but I like it actually, the mids are well balanced and the highs are a bit dark. Their timbre was very lovely also!.

I am burning them with a pure 30hz signal just -3dB before they clipped (poor drivers :broken_heart:).

a picture of them
20190824-172736.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,735 of 9,521
Just got my Verite today so here is my super early impressions with no burn-in with the universe perforated suede pads running balanced by the monolith THX desktop amp/dac:

Unfortunately I was very disappointed to the point where I could not listen to them because they look so freaking gorgeous!.
I had to hold them with my hand to look at them every two minutes. I guess I need to place a mirror besides my desk so I can finally listen and LOOK! at them at the same time :D

Drooling aside, the build is excellent but a bit heavy tho (ziricote+brass), the headband system is just genius, when I watched ZMF headband bending TY video I thought "damn this gonna be a pain in the *** to adjust" but surprisingly it was not, it's very flexible and comfy and the fact that you can adjust the clamp is why I called them ingeniously designed.

About the sound the first thing that struck me is the SPEED! of their drivers it was immediately noticeable they are a league above my other headphones (hifiman ananda, focal elex).
The mid bass was a bit elevated tho but I like it actually, the mids are well balanced and the highs are a bit dark. Their timbre was very lovely also!.

I am burning them with a pure 30hz signal just -3dB before they clipped (poor drivers :broken_heart:).

a picture of them
20190824-172736.jpg

I'm sure they look wonderful, but your pic didn't post.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2,736 of 9,521
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,737 of 9,521
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,738 of 9,521
I can see the photo no problem. Congrats on your new Verite.

Thanks!.
I hope you get a review sample of that Oblivion hybrid amp, I am still not sure about pulling the trigger and want more opinions about it.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,739 of 9,521
Thanks!.
I hope you get a review sample of that Oblivion hybrid amp, I am still not sure about pulling the trigger and want more opinions about it.

@Phantaminum has one and posted very solid comparisons to the GOTL and others.
Ive PM'd with the builder of the amp several times and he isnt ready to send out loaners yet. If that changes I will let you know.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,740 of 9,521
@Phantaminum has one and posted very solid comparisons to the GOTL and others.
Ive PM'd with the builder of the amp several times and he isnt ready to send out loaners yet. If that changes I will let you know.

Yes I read them with some others's also, still not sure about this "unknown" amp that's why I will wait until I see even more opinions.

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,741 of 9,521
Aug 24, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,742 of 9,521
Aug 25, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,743 of 9,521
Just curious about this... I have zero issues with ZMF bass, but if you were going to compliment the Verites with a bass centric headphone, what would you go with?

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #2,744 of 9,521
Just curious about this... I have zero issues with ZMF bass, but if you were going to compliment the Verites with a bass centric headphone, what would you go with?
Atticus (for closed back) or Aeolus (for open back)!

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #2,745 of 9,521

Atticus (for closed back) or Aeolus (for open back)!

Pretty much this. If you want to go outside the ZMF realm,I highly recommend tracking down an old HD250....ridiculous amounts of bass,especially sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back