ZMF Verite Open
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #2,671 of 9,521
I need an Empy to demo. Somebody send me one! :wink:

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #2,672 of 9,521
Interesting, I didn't get analytical from them...just goes to show we all hear things differently. =) But I do agree the Verite is a more musical experience. It's part of the fun of this hobby seeing how others here things compared to myself. Why I try to avoid definitive statements about what I hear, and always try to say from my perspective or how I hear/perceived something.

Cheers
Just more analytical compared to the Verite. Not as analytical as my HEK SE.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #2,673 of 9,521
I’m hearing a bit of hardness n the upper kids, lower treble on the Empy that I don’t hear on the Vérité. Soundstage is similar with both on the WA5, maybe just a tad more depth on the Empy, but so close it’s hard to tell. One difference I noted was that once the Empy was in the House I found that I was listening almost all rock, not my usual mix of classical, jazz and rock.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #2,674 of 9,521
Aug 15, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #2,675 of 9,521
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #2,676 of 9,521
There is like a 3 or 4 month or even longer wait for the Glenn's?

I PM him about two weeks ago and the wait was 4 months long

I’m hearing a bit of hardness n the upper kids, lower treble on the Empy that I don’t hear on the Vérité. Soundstage is similar with both on the WA5, maybe just a tad more depth on the Empy, but so close it’s hard to tell. One difference I noted was that once the Empy was in the House I found that I was listening almost all rock, not my usual mix of classical, jazz and rock.

Same with my hifiman ananda and focal elex!

planars excel at the loud volumes of rock, metal and shows soundtracks

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2,677 of 9,521
I PM him about two weeks ago and the wait was 4 month

Thanks. That's a no go for me. I can either pick one up used here in that time or will find another type of amp I will like.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,678 of 9,521
P1030577.JPG

Bocote & Mahogany

Attachments

• P1030585.JPG
    P1030585.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #2,679 of 9,521
Thanks. That's a no go for me. I can either pick one up used here in that time or will find another type of amp I will like.
I think you might have to go with the latter option there friend. I’ve been searching for a Glenn OTL since the beginning of the year and in that time I’ve only seen two or three pop up- all of them with pretty steep markups too might I add.
Last month I just bit the bullet and asked to be put on the wait list, but I also have an atom, MCTH and Bottlehead Mainline to tide me over.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,681 of 9,521
I think you might have to go with the latter option there friend. I’ve been searching for a Glenn OTL since the beginning of the year and in that time I’ve only seen two or three pop up- all of them with pretty steep markups too might I add.
Last month I just bit the bullet and asked to be put on the wait list, but I also have an atom, MCTH and Bottlehead Mainline to tide me over.
As they say
"Be Patient, Good things take time"

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,682 of 9,521
Looks nice @antdroid !

How are the fireflies? I've heard mixed opinions.

Yea, definitely a lot of mixed opinions out there. I think at the full-retail price, you'll be left wanting more. I got them used for less than half the price. I find it rather neutral, but with a slightly warmer sound - slight bass increase, a little smoother treble response, and gentler attack, but that doesn't mean it takes away from the speed of the Verite, which I find is a good pairing with these. The WA7 is really awful for IEMs. The 3.5mm output is just useless and utter garbage. Everything I put through it sounds muddy and overly bassy.

I also admit, 90% of the reason I bought it was because of the sleek modern looks, and 10% for wanting tubes.

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #2,684 of 9,521

The amount of options that one gets on an amp from Glenn will make the prices vary greatly on the OTL amp.
You can get the basic for $750 or you can start adding stuff and get well above twice that price.....so that is probably the differences in the varying prices you have seen.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,685 of 9,521
The amount of options that one gets on an amp from Glenn will make the prices vary greatly on the OTL amp.
You can get the basic for $750 or you can start adding stuff and get well above twice that price.....so that is probably the differences in the varying prices you have seen.
Not to mention that many times tubes are included in the sale,which can dramatically increase an asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back