ZMF Verite Open
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,667 of 9,521
To my ears, they are exceptional, my Aeolus (damn spellcheck keeps putting in an extra “I”) arrive tomorrow, looking forward to comparing the two.

Apr 10, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,668 of 9,521
To my ears, they are exceptional, my Aeolus (damn spellcheck keeps putting in an extra “I”) arrive tomorrow, looking forward to comparing the two.

good! let me know your opinion, i am very curious. with aeolus i had that "wow" moment i was looking for in the last 2 years

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,669 of 9,521
Just received mine today. First impressions:

Universe pads - Sounds pretty good (up there with other flagships), but that '3D' effect people keep describing is throwing me off a bit. It's a weird experience that totally explains any mixed review of this headphone. Some people will like this a lot, some will be thrown for a loop. I'm in the latter category so far.

Verite pads - Any description I could give about the Verite with these pads should probably be censored due to sexually explicit content. While this is a more traditional presentation, this is an entirely different category of amazing. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll have a full review out sometime next week, but for the moment, here's a teaser. Spoiler alert for anyone wanting the unboxing to be a surprise.

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,671 of 9,521

Universe pads - Sounds pretty good (up there with other flagships), but that '3D' effect people keep describing is throwing me off a bit. It's a weird experience that totally explains any mixed review of this headphone. Some people will like this a lot, some will be thrown for a loop. I'm in the latter category so far.

Verite pads - Any description I could give about the Verite with these pads should probably be censored due to sexually explicit content. While this is a more traditional presentation, this is an entirely different category of amazing. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll have a full review out sometime next week, but for the moment, here's a teaser. Spoiler alert for anyone wanting the unboxing to be a surprise.

Welcome to the club. I normally don't like unboxing videos but yours is an exception.

:)

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,673 of 9,521

Personally, I think the Verite fitted with Verite pads remind me of the sound of a Focal Utopia, but warmer and organic. Depending on what amp / tube combo I hook up, the universe pads can sound a bit boomy, so I reach for the Verite pads on those occasions. Nice to have real options :)

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,674 of 9,521
Personally, I think the Verite fitted with Verite pads remind me of the sound of a Focal Utopia, but warmer and organic. Depending on what amp / tube combo I hook up, the universe pads can sound a bit boomy, so I reach for the Verite pads on those occasions. Nice to have real options :)

I prefer the Vérité Pads as well, you are spot on with the clarity and dynamics being similar to the Utopia. Where they are superior, in my opinion, is musicality, intonation, and soundstage. My Utopia, Abyss 1266, and Ether 2 are gone, the Vérité and Aeolus have taken their place.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,676 of 9,521
For electronic, jazz and progressive-rock music would you suggest the Verite or the Empyrean ?
I hope someone that listened both could answer...

What will you be using as an amp?

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,678 of 9,521
I will have to choose the amp yet. The dac is Metrum Menuet NOS. As amp I was considering the Violectric V280...but I am opened for recommendations.

I have done reviews of both headphones on my Youtube channel(link in signature below)
In my system they sounded quite similar,with some differences. I suggest you watch my Empyrean review as I compare it to the Verite.
Theyre both excellent headphones and either would work,depending upon what aspects you value the most,and assuming you enjoy warm sounding headphones.

FWIW I bought the Verite prior to hearing the Empyrean,and do not regret that one bit.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,679 of 9,521
I prefer the Vérité Pads as well, you are spot on with the clarity and dynamics being similar to the Utopia. Where they are superior, in my opinion, is musicality, intonation, and soundstage. My Utopia, Abyss 1266, and Ether 2 are gone, the Vérité and Aeolus have taken their place.
Do you still have auteur? Curious because I'm interested in a Verites/Auteur or Verite/Aeolus combo or ... Go full tilt with all 3 opens.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,680 of 9,521

Dis you try empyrean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back