ZMF Verite Open
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,651 of 9,521
That's totally like your opinion man! And yeah the user photos can help give a broader sense of how the headphones look under different lighting conditions.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #1,652 of 9,521
I think they look fantastic,stunning actually,but everyone finds beauty in different things.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,653 of 9,521
Haters gonna hate.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #1,654 of 9,521
I find most late Ferrari models looked quite ugly but i'm sure lots will disagree with me...

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #1,655 of 9,521
I find most late Ferrari models looked quite ugly but i'm sure lots will disagree with me...

I agree. F-Ugly.
This is beauty!

Screen-Shot-2016-05-25-at-3.24.21-PM-940x636.png

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,656 of 9,521
The design on these is beyond ugly, IMHO. I just don't understand the design of these. Has to be one of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen, especially for a flagship.

Edit: Actually, they look pretty good in the user photos in this thread, pictures where the lighting isn't so dark. Why did this company decide to use such horrible pictures on their website to market this headphone? The stock photos are terrible.

54523233-622C-4D4D-B8F1-D91A40281A42.jpeg

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,657 of 9,521
The design on these is beyond ugly, IMHO. I just don't understand the design of these. Has to be one of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen, especially for a flagship.

Edit: Actually, they look pretty good in the user photos in this thread, pictures where the lighting isn't so dark. Why did this company decide to use such horrible pictures on their website to market this headphone? The stock photos are terrible.

Really, I think they look pretty good, and are reflective of the various wood choices.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,659 of 9,521
Had the opportunity to demo Verite for a couple hours this weekend and compare it directly against my HEKse. I’ve wanted to own a ZMF headphone for a while and I’m trying to determine if Verite suits my tastes enough to take the place of the HEKse or if I’ll end up buying a ZMF headphone to add an additional flavor to my headphone stable. I’ve demoed Verite before and enjoyed it, but this time was much more valuable because I had a lot longer with it in an ideal listening environment and I had a chance to try it with my personal audio chain (Qutest/Milo) in additional to other tube amps.

I greatly enjoyed the Verite and would still like to own a pair. It’s got a very refined tonality, the soundstage is huge, imaging is very nicely laid out and the speed truly is fantastic. My favorite two attributes of those are the soundstage and speed. The soundstage is very pleasant, it’s big but somehow intimate at the same time... I think by intimate I mean it’s got a palpability to it so even though it’s large you really get a feel for the space your in. I don’t know if that makes sense, kind of hard to describe. My other favorite attribute is the speed that I’ve read many around here talk about. Wow! There’s something about how the Verite presents each note that makes it feel so incredibly life-like it’s almost strange at first. It actually kind of reminds me of when I demoed the Chord Mscaler... it takes you a second to figure out what is going on, but then you realize the music is being delivered at such a natural speed and feels completely free of any artificial reproduction. It just sounds incredibly real in both timber and tonality and overall delivery. Forgot to mention that the bass is fantastic, reaches deep and is nice and punchy.

So with all that said I did find the Verite sounded just a little veiled compared to the HEKse. Every time I came back to the HEKse it felt like the music was immediately less colored and more transparent and a bit more detailed without being etched. I’m not trying to imply that the Verite is overly colored, warm and not transparent, it’s not. For me personally that’s fine and brings a unique character for a second headphone, just not my #1. I also found it lacking just a little behind the HEKse when I listened to rock and other tracks that needed some stronger energy to it. Verite felt just a little too polite at times.

A simple way of describing the comparison is that the Verite was like listening to a tube amp and the HEKse was like listening to a solid state amp. Not that one was better per se, just different.

Overall I found that the HEKse serves my overall personal taste as an all-arounder better than the Verite. But I would love to have the HEKse as my 1a and Verite as my 1b.

I can absolutely see why anyone who loves the ZMF house sound, who loves tubes, who loves a touch of color and/or warmth, who loves a romantic presentation of music... all while I including lots of details and sounding reference quality, would adore the Verite. I officially want to add one to my stable.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,660 of 9,521
Had the opportunity to demo Verite for a couple hours this weekend and compare it directly against my HEKse. I’ve wanted to own a ZMF headphone for a while and I’m trying to determine if Verite suits my tastes enough to take the place of the HEKse or if I’ll end up buying a ZMF headphone to add an additional flavor to my headphone stable. I’ve demoed Verite before and enjoyed it, but this time was much more valuable because I had a lot longer with it in an ideal listening environment and I had a chance to try it with my personal audio chain (Qutest/Milo) in additional to other tube amps.

I greatly enjoyed the Verite and would still like to own a pair. It’s got a very refined tonality, the soundstage is huge, imaging is very nicely laid out and the speed truly is fantastic. My favorite two attributes of those are the soundstage and speed. The soundstage is very pleasant, it’s big but somehow intimate at the same time... I think by intimate I mean it’s got a palpability to it so even though it’s large you really get a feel for the space your in. I don’t know if that makes sense, kind of hard to describe. My other favorite attribute is the speed that I’ve read many around here talk about. Wow! There’s something about how the Verite presents each note that makes it feel so incredibly life-like it’s almost strange at first. It actually kind of reminds me of when I demoed the Chord Mscaler... it takes you a second to figure out what is going on, but then you realize the music is being delivered at such a natural speed and feels completely free of any artificial reproduction. It just sounds incredibly real in both timber and tonality and overall delivery. Forgot to mention that the bass is fantastic, reaches deep and is nice and punchy.

So with all that said I did find the Verite sounded just a little veiled compared to the HEKse. Every time I came back to the HEKse it felt like the music was immediately less colored and more transparent and a bit more detailed without being etched. I’m not trying to imply that the Verite is overly colored, warm and not transparent, it’s not. For me personally that’s fine and brings a unique character for a second headphone, just not my #1. I also found it lacking just a little behind the HEKse when I listened to rock and other tracks that needed some stronger energy to it. Verite felt just a little too polite at times.

A simple way of describing the comparison is that the Verite was like listening to a tube amp and the HEKse was like listening to a solid state amp. Not that one was better per se, just different.

Overall I found that the HEKse serves my overall personal taste as an all-arounder better than the Verite. But I would love to have the HEKse as my 1a and Verite as my 1b.

I can absolutely see why anyone who loves the ZMF house sound, who loves tubes, who loves a touch of color and/or warmth, who loves a romantic presentation of music... all while I including lots of details and sounding reference quality, would adore the Verite. I officially want to add one to my stable.

Totally agree w/ your perspective, and I feel the same as a Verite + SE owner. Ultimately they have different strengths but the way they contrast each other makes owning both justified I think.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,661 of 9,521
Totally agree w/ your perspective, and I feel the same as a Verite + SE owner. Ultimately they have different strengths but the way they contrast each other makes owning both justified I think.

+1 : I have both the SE and the Verite Ltd Pheasantwood and I agree with what you guys have said in comparing your impressions of both headphones.
The HEKSE would be my all-rounder if I could only keep 1 headphone, the clarity and balance is just so right for my tastes.
But the Verite has a lovely way of presenting music that is non fatiguing, and fun. It's my go-to for all my rock albums now, which can be hit or miss with HEKSE... so bye bye LCD2C lol. I love my Verite :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,663 of 9,521
I am now No. 16 on the list. Lovely picture of my 1966 XKE. The damned trunk would pop open every time I went over RR tracks!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,665 of 9,521
A musical recommendation, which sounds incredibly good on the Vérité, for some serious lounge lizard, very laid back Tucson music...

Howe Gelb (formerly Giant Sand), “Gathered”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back