ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #11,296 of 12,488
Our headphones are modular and any issues people have are almost 100% of the time due to bolts that need to be checked every once in a while or a rod that needs thread locker. Much of the regular maintenance you can expect to do on our headphones is shown in these video's:

Aside from that you've probably read that the magnesium chassis can chip, this was predominantly on early magnesium sets made in 2018 or 2019, which didn't have a radius to the edges of the metal that made them more fragile to bumps and knocks. That has been remedied and while magnesium is still more prone to chipping than aluminum, it is not a regular issue.

All of the regular parts can typically be user replaced except for the magnesium chassis, and the driver is warranted to the original owner for life aside from abuse.

I'm sure others will chime in with personal experience as well.

Thanks A lot for your detailed response and putting my mind at ease. The lifetime driver warranty is only valid for the original owner? That also valid in EU?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #11,297 of 12,488
Those who have owned the headphones for long term, any issues with the build quality? Read some mixed comments about it.
No issues whatsoever- ZMF build quality is phenomenal, and the modular design makes repairs simpler…

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #11,298 of 12,488
Those who have owned the headphones for long term, any issues with the build quality? Read some mixed comments about it.
I’ve had my stabilized VCs with magnesium chassis for about a year and a half. They look brand new, with the exception of some small scratches on the vertical adjustment rods from playing around with the fit. I don’t travel much with them, and handle them with care always. As Zach said, everything is replaceable, which also means that everything is adjustable, and certain parts can be upgraded. I upgraded to the Crescent Strap, which I’m very happy with. I check the screws and rods from time to time, and wipe down the cups with the ZMF cloth to keep the finger oils from building up. They are not designed to be entirely maintenance free. Zach has great videos on YouTube for maintenance items. I treat them like piece of fine woodwork that takes some care, but interacting with them is part of the pleasure of ownership for me.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #11,299 of 12,488
The only thing I've encountered is with the rod unscrewing from the metal half circle attached to the headphone. Screw it back in and all good. Something I just check periodically to see how threaded in it is. That is nothing against build quality, because it is built phenomenally. Just is a point of mechanics. I guess you could dab some thread locker (vibratite vc-3) or something to make it less likely to happen but again, not a quality issue. Just a routine maintenance check.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #11,300 of 12,488

No issues here. The only problem I have ever had was a squeaky cup and a simple squirt of food grade silicone takes care of that and it takes only a couple of minutes.

The headphones are made with replaceable parts which is very nice.

You should be all good.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #11,301 of 12,488
I own 3 ZMF headphones now (Ori, Aeolus, Verite Open); used to own 3 others (Atrium, Eikon, Atticus). I had a loaner Caldera here not long ago; and several years ago, a loaner VO and VC. In all that time I had one problem: the Atrium developed a loose input jack on one earcup. Sent it back to ZMF & it came back perfect (covered by warranty). That's it.

Beyond the low "incidence of failure," these headphones are robust, hand-built, with very solid design and construction. You almost never hear of driver failures on ZMF headphones, plus they don't use "suspect" parts (undersized/underspec'd, fragile, using failure prone material like thin plastic). Every ZMF headphone I've had in my hands was pretty obviously built to last. Some people grouse about their weight but that weight also yeilds solidity, strength & a long operating life.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #11,302 of 12,488
these headphones are robust, hand-built, with very solid design and construction. You almost never hear of driver failures on ZMF headphones, plus they don't use "suspect" parts (undersized/underspec'd, fragile, using failure prone material like thin plastic). Every ZMF headphone I've had in my hands was pretty obviously built to last.
^^^ I often refer to my ZMFs as “heirlooms” (meant to be handed down from generation to generation). That’s how solidly built they are.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #11,303 of 12,488
Build quality and customer service is top notch. Buy with confidence.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #11,304 of 12,488
I've had my VC for two years now and use them almost daily. No issues with anything at all. They still sound as breathtaking as the day I received them. Even better with a tube amp.

And they still look new too. I make sure that they are only on me, or my headphone stand, at any given time. I also selected the aluminum model after reading that the magnesium was more fragile.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #11,305 of 12,488
I have had 3 ZMF headphones over the last 3 years and I'd just agree with everyone that the headphones are durable and modular so you can replace any part that does need to be replaced and Zach has been great to work with even if I wasn't the original owner of the headphone. I started with a used Verite Open and I actually did have a small issue in that I was hearing some distortion out of one side and I reached out to ZMF and Zach responded directly and pretty quickly suggesting that I check to see if there was any debris on the driver (there was a tiny speck of something on the driver) and he suggested using painters tape delicately to lift the debris off and that resolved the issue.

I also picked up a new Verite Closed Leopardwood and used Atrium Bubinga and haven't had any issues with these but I will say I appreciate that I can upgrade my band to the Crescent Strap because everything is modular. For a lot of headphones like my Diana, when they come out with a new revision and more comfortable band you are SOL unless you want to buy a new headphone so I appreciate the way these are built to be repairable. They also did the same with the Auteur upgrade program where you could send in your headphones and have them upgraded to include the new dampening which I would appreciate if I was an owner of those. I feel like either used or new I don't worry too much about the durability, if something does go wrong ZMF has shown great and personal customer service and if I did have to pay at least the headphones are repairable and I feel like the costs seem reasonable.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #11,306 of 12,488
^^^ I often refer to my ZMFs as “heirlooms” (meant to be handed down from generation to generation). That’s how solidly built they are.
My kids are already arguing over who inherits my headphones when I die. I do wonder if that will happen while I’m reclined in my listening chair with my ZMFs on and my eyes closed. I’m so oblivious to the world in that zone that my kids have taken to sneaking up in me, grabbing my feet, and attempting to scare me straight into the afterlife. I think they are hoping for an early start on their inheritance. It’s a good thing I haven’t inadvertently thrown my ZMFs across the room when they do that. It’s Zach’s fault that the value of my ZMFs has exceeded my perceived value as a father. Gonna have to setup a proximity alarm and wire it into my tube amp and update my will. Maybe I should be buried with my ZMFs, in the beautiful hand made ZMF wood box 😉

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #11,307 of 12,488
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #11,308 of 12,488
My kids are already arguing over who inherits my headphones when I die. I do wonder if that will happen while I’m reclined in my listening chair with my ZMFs on and my eyes closed. I’m so oblivious to the world in that zone that my kids have taken to sneaking up in me, grabbing my feet, and attempting to scare me straight into the afterlife. I think they are hoping for an early start on their inheritance. It’s a good thing I haven’t inadvertently thrown my ZMFs across the room when they do that. It’s Zach’s fault that the value of my ZMFs has exceeded my perceived value as a father. Gonna have to setup a proximity alarm and wire it into my tube amp and update my will. Maybe I should be buried with my ZMFs, in the beautiful hand made ZMF wood box 😉
If you are cremated you could be put in the ZMF wooden box. :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #11,309 of 12,488
LOL This is a running joke in my family. I've told them that in my will I'll request that the ZMF's be on my head in the casket. Kids are like, "noooo"!

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #11,310 of 12,488
LOL This is a running joke in my family. I've told them that in my will I'll request that the ZMF's be on my head in the casket. Kids are like, "noooo"!
You got me ROTF LMAO with this one! Now what am I gonna sit on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back