ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #11,176 of 12,527
The VC is pretty sensitive, so it's not difficult to drive to listening volumes. That being said, you won't be getting "the best from the VC" with the 2GO.

If you got the VC, almost everyone here would recommend powering them with a desktop amp. Bonus points if it's a tube amp, and even more bonus points if it's an OTL tube amp. :wink: Nonetheless, a good solid-state amp will also work great -- especially if they can deliver at least several hundred mW (or more) into 300 ohms. You could use the 2GO as a portable solution for when you're chilling out on your porch, couch, etc., but if you want the best, then you'll want some more [quality] juice.

Outta curiosity, where's this sudden furor coming about?
As expected - thank you confirming my suspicions, just needed to hear it. I don’t want to pull the trigger on a pair of phones I cannot “properly” drive yet. Portable setup is complete with my Hugo2go + Spiral Ear IEMs but the TOTL headphone urge keeps calling - think I’ll stick with lower impedance for the time being, I’ll revisit ZMF when I’ve got a suitable desktop setup to do them justice - thanks again.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #11,177 of 12,527
As expected - thank you confirming my suspicions, just needed to hear it. I don’t want to pull the trigger on a pair of phones I cannot “properly” drive yet. Portable setup is complete with my Hugo2go + Spiral Ear IEMs but the TOTL headphone urge keeps calling - think I’ll stick with lower impedance for the time being, I’ll revisit ZMF when I’ve got a suitable desktop setup to do them justice - thanks again.
In the meantime, check this thread for amping ideas.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #11,179 of 12,527
Yes, Monster did everyone a solid by starting that thread. I'll have to remember to point folks that way next time this question comes up again. :wink:

Btw, I am by no means saying that the Hugo2 won't sound amazing with the VC. The idea of "headroom" can be a bit misleading I think.
If you're looking for a closed back, I would definitely consider the VC -- even paired with the Hugo2.

I've tried a lot of high-end closed backs, and the VC came out on top for me (for a TOTL closed back).

You could just as easily start with the VC now, enjoy its wonderful company, and then obtain a new amp down the road.

But, if your goal is portability I would be less inclined.

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #11,180 of 12,527
I had the Hugo 2 with the VC and it was not my favorite but still pretty great, obviously for travel especially. It can certainly drive the VC without issue. I think you'd be happy with what you have as your setup and then even more happy once you add a tube amp. As a DAC to either tubes or a warmer solid state amp like the iFi iCan I think it's a fantastic pairing.

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #11,181 of 12,527
...in the spirit of this most recent conversation, I finally tried my VCs with my iFi Diablo (portable DAC + amp) and they sound really good, which I'd say is a slight downgrade from fantastic. My experience echoes just about everybody elses' that I've heard - they sound better, maybe best on tubes. While the Diablo/VC combo sounds punchy, dynamic, clean and the soundstage is pretty good - the soundstage isn't as great as on my Woo Wa23 (not a fair comparison, but it's the only tube amp I've got), and sounds just a tiny bit (just a wee bit) sterile compared to hearing it on tubes. Still a really good option though for portable though in my opinion.

I then switched to my Atriums and felt they paired better with the Diablo vs. the VCs and were closer to how they sound on tubes and other amps. It seems the VCs are more picky to get to their full potential.

All that being said, I love both the VC and Atriums and ZMF for that matter.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #11,182 of 12,527
Do ZMF headphones still have issues with paint chips on there magnesium chassis, only asking as i am looking for a pair and can only find ones with mag. chassis.
Really don't like the idea of being careful when adjusting as per ZMF video states, and then using a pen to cover it up .
i have a pair of eikons, i got them a year ago from a distributor but he's likely had it for a bit before selling to me as it's a zebrawood (just to give you an idea of when this was manufactured assuming they've made improvements since. i do know mine was originally made with an older style mesh/grille, as they ended up having to retrofit the new style in rather than it being a simple swap out). anyway, while i haven't been the most careful with it i haven't been careless either and i see some chips/paint coming off. otoh, i could get the gimbals replaced for like $50 + shipping if i do choose to do so (which in retrospect, i should have done when i sent it in for the mesh replacement, but they got done so fast before and I'd initially forgotten), so not a big deal especially if you live in the US unlike me.

unfortunately this does mean it's going to affect resale value, maybe... which sucks, at least unless i get the gimbals replaced.
I have indeed. I ought to keep an eye out on the Classifieds for a good deal. :wink:
define "good deal" btw...

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #11,183 of 12,527
The hybrid pads arrived.
The pads i used before:
Auteur full leather: Thick and warm, very fun and enjoyable
BE2 Suede: Bright, could not stand

The new hybrid pads are indeed in between:
Universe hybrid (non angled): More neutral, less warm than the full leather but nowhere near as bright as the BE2 and still fun, they sound great.
Auteur hybrid (angled): Very hard to tell the difference, website says a bit more open and slightly more W-shaped. Maybe, i don't know after one swap and i won't switch them 5x to find out.

The difference between the hybrid pads seems minor.
I keep the Universe hybrid on for now (so i have the other as a reserve) and if i want a warmer tone i swap to the previous Auteur full leather. BE2 can suck my...

:edit:
Swapped the hybrid pads one more time and yes, the soundstage is a bit bigger on the Auteur hybrid than on the Universe hybrid, tonally they may sound a bit fuller than the other hybrid pads but nowhere close to the full leather ones. I keep these ones on, Auteur hybrid pads.

All in all a fantastic headphone and i will enjoy it a lot with my Echo 2.
i want something less warm and less dark than auteur leather... universe hybrid or auteur hybrid?(speaking of, I've always ended up missing zmf November but want to purchase pads this time... any news on it this year yet?)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #11,184 of 12,527
I already bought Atrium, and was thinking about getting VC either from classified A stock, or 18th for a B stock, which is the better choice since I have no idea of B stock (I know it will be just tiny cosmetic issue, but I mean the resale value).

The reason I am asking is I will only keep one from Atrium or VC after at home comparison for financial reason. Therefore, the VC I got from classified or B stock might end up put on sale in classified if I prefer Atrium.

Right now, my sentiment is I have a higher likehood to keep VC.

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #11,185 of 12,527
I already bought Atrium, and was thinking about getting VC either from classified A stock, or 18th for a B stock, which is the better choice since I have no idea of B stock (I know it will be just tiny cosmetic issue, but I mean the resale value).

The reason I am asking is I will only keep one from Atrium or VC after at home comparison for financial reason. Therefore, the VC I got from classified or B stock might end up put on sale in classified if I prefer Atrium.

Since B-stocks are already sold for and worth significantly less, I find they don't drop as much proportionately as used ones do. They're kind of like new cars where there can be a major price difference between the bottom and top versions of the same model, but once on the used market that gap narrows significantly.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #11,186 of 12,527
Only your ears will be able to tell... But, I can say that I had both and ended up keeping the VC over the Atrium.

I loved the things the Atrium excelled at, and wish the VC was as punchy as the Atrium. I do miss the Atrium from time to time, in tho.
I just found it a bit too forward in the mids/upper mids.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #11,187 of 12,527
I’d keep the VC. There’s just no weak spots. I dug out all my headphones tonight since I was listening to a new album in a genre I don’t usually listen to on a relatively new amp. I was evaluating each for what worked best on a heavily layered, highly detailed recording with wide dynamics. Accuracy of timbre and ability to bring an organic sound was also important.

Anyway, the VC is far ahead of everything else I own. The VC was better in every catagory. It’s hard to believe it’s a closed phone.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #11,188 of 12,527
Great recording which the VC, combined with the Folkvangr OTL, manages to very effectively create a realistic soundstage.

P.S. you won’t get the 3D effect from the YouTube video. I listen to it on tidal.

https://tidal.com/album/208627395

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #11,190 of 12,527
If I had to keep only one headphone then it would be the VC.
Agreed. I've managed to whittle my collection down to only the HD800S & VC. Well, and my origin story: HD650

The VC and 800S are great complements. I mainly use the 800S with my gaming desktop, tho, and sounds great with some EQ applied. Also looking forward to Zach's new 8xx pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back