ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #7,831 of 12,469
Is the VC any good for metal music? since I find my hd800 lacks emotion and weight with guitar riffs/drum hits
for me it's a complicated answer. the VC is very revealing of production/recording flaws, which tend to dominate the metal genre. so i personally don't like the VC with a lot of poorly recorded metal. it just highlights the flaws too much for me to enjoy the music. That's where I grab my Atticus, as it's far more forgiving. But on well recorded metal the VC is definitely a treat. It will have much more emotion than the HD800 for sure. Far more bass heft and weight, and warmer mids. You're in a good position to evaluate the potential for the VC though. Do you find the HD800's revealing nature a detriment when listening to poorly recorded metal? The HD800 is easily as revealing as the VC so if you're ok with that much detail on bad recordings, and just want a more engaging tonal shift, the VC is definitely a good choice. But if you find yourself wishing you weren't getting the production flaws thrown in your face as much, then maybe something like an Atticus/Aeolus would be a better choice.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #7,833 of 12,469
You guys should try the remixed edition of Opeth's Damnation with the VC, it's a mindblowing experience!

I don't have my VC at work today but I do have the Atticus, and man that's a great song on it! The mid bass elevation makes the drums really hit hard. The additional air of the VC would be nice for the guitar work, but not a deal breaker on the Atty. Such a mellow and relaxing song for Opeth, i'm so used to their earlier releases like Morningrise, etc.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #7,834 of 12,469
I don't have my VC at work today but I do have the Atticus, and man that's a great song on it! The mid bass elevation makes the drums really hit hard. The additional air of the VC would be nice for the guitar work, but not a deal breaker on the Atty. Such a mellow and relaxing song for Opeth, i'm so used to their earlier releases like Morningrise, etc.

Damnation is such a great album. I just did a comparison with the same song a posted earlier with the VC and the Atticus, and like you said it's also a fantastic experience with the Atticus. But the extra air and bite in the treble with the VC is bringing the song to another level.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7,835 of 12,469
Congrats and nice amp too. Enjoy the music and be sure to stare at them before you put them on every time
The problem is that if I stared at them before I put them on I would see a ton of images...I have a major case of pareidolia. Most people will see images in clouds or wood but I can see it almost anything, but I stop short of selling images in toast. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #7,836 of 12,469
The problem is that if I stared at them before I put them on I would see a ton of images...I have a major case of pareidolia. Most people will see images in clouds or wood but I can see it almost anything, but I stop short of selling images in toast. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Idk I have been staring at my new stabilized headphones when I'm in meetings and can't listen to music.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7,837 of 12,469
Got the Universe suede and hybrid pads in today. I had been using the lambskin ones but wanted something more neutral. I figured the hybrid is what I would like best, but the suede was the jackpot for me on my new VC's (Atoll). REALLY like them.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #7,839 of 12,469
Feeling pretty upset that FedEx decided to not delivery my stabilized VCs and mark it as delivery attempted despite the fact that there was zero attempt and I was sitting out by my living room window next to my door. Hopefully tomorrow's delivery person will actually try and do their job.
I feel your pain! Lost count how many times that happened to me. Working from home shows how many times they lie about attempting delivery haha

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #7,841 of 12,469
Purely aesthetics. There have been many tests where headphone driver output was compared using different cables and in every test the output has been identical. Some people will defend their ego (along with their hearing and amount of damage they've caused to other people's wallets), money they spent on cables that amount to little more than jewelry, or the marketing material of their favorite cable company by claiming that there are properties of vibration that are not measurable (lol).

Here's one such test :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-audio-premium-headphone-cable-review.22457/

Innerfidelity did a test too using a number of cables including stock cables, Cardas, and different price levels of AudioQuest cables and also found zero difference. They even measured the driver's impulse response and found it identical.

People on Head-Fi are an exception to the norm though. While most people would say cables sounding different is absolutely ridiculous, Head-Fi dwellers will tell you all about how more expensive cables alter the sound in dramatic ways and will call people who think otherwise trolls. That's why people here will post memes of people laughing or eating popcorn in response to people saying that cables don't affect sound.

Generally people will shy away from outright saying that they don't affect sound on here because of the near certain harassment that will result and will provide a non-committal answer or add a clause acknowledging that cables may possess magical powers that we can't measure except with our brains.

One of the reasons why it's frowned upon here is that it has huge implications for a ton of companies and sponsors, and even Head-Fi members themselves.

I generally don't buy expensive cables, my upgrade cables except one are reasonably priced and I am not attached to any side of the debate. I just want the best sound at the best possible price.

This said I have noticed a clear difference in sound for some of my HPs and iems with different cables. It might be subjective of course and I respect the measurements. I doubt psychology alone explains it.

I will also say that VC sounded about the same with all cables I tried (stock and two third party cables). With Meze Empyrean and Final D8000 it was a whole different story.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #7,843 of 12,469
For stuff like Gojira and Slipknot though I've been using my Clear OG as they feel a bit more dynamic and quicker; I'm basically hoping the VC will replace my Clear for metal while also providing a more natural timbre than them as well. I know part of the Auteur's timbre is due to its biocellulose driver but I've heard that the VC's beryllium-coated PEN driver has timbre that's closer to the Auteur's than the Clear's (with the Auteur still having the most natural timbre though).

You can get rid of your Focal Clear, trust me :wink:

This song from Gojira is a blast to listen to with the VC.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #7,844 of 12,469
I just got a shipment notification for my VCs! Hopefully I don't have a premature audio-gasm before they arrive.

They'll be joining my SR1a's. I expect the VCs to sound very different, meaning for me, a perfect compliment.

I don't want to derail the thread, but @YtseJamer, I have to acknowledge your nod to DT's first album. IMHO, Dream Theater's best song is Metropolis Pt. 1, but the next best two are both from When Dream and Day Unite: Ytse Jam & Only a Matter of Time.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #7,845 of 12,469
I don't want to derail the thread, but @YtseJamer, I have to acknowledge your nod to DT's first album. IMHO, Dream Theater's best song is Metropolis Pt. 1, but the next best two are both from When Dream and Day Unite: Ytse Jam & Only a Matter of Time.

Haha, it's hard to hide I'm huge fan of DT with my nickname :wink:

I agree with you about Metropolis Pt.1. A Change Of Seasons is also one of my favorite DT songs. I hope the new album will be good, but I'm a bit disappointed by the first 2 singles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back