ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 9, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #7,126 of 12,469
Anyone compare Auteur pads with Universe pads with their vc? Lambskin or hybrids.

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #7,127 of 12,469
The short answer to whether it feels softer than what I prefer with hard rock would be....NO. In fact think that the transient attack/speed of the VC is better than that of the HiFiMAN HE-1000 (which I still think is awesome), as I've detailed here. If you are still considering a different amplifier, then I would very strongly recommend the MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio. The sound is fantastic. Many people have said that it combines tube smoothness with solid state detail. I agree. To me the sound approaches perfection, especially for a headphone.
I’ve heard good things about the mZotl 2. Hope to hear the actual amp someday.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #7,129 of 12,469
Time to venture back in with some new insights. Wywire cables all nicely burned in, except for the new platinum power cord. Wish I could afford a Diamond, but have to wait for later upgrade. As I have mentioned the diamond USB must be considered a component, it had more effect in my system than what usually changing a component does and that is even comparing it against the platinum I traded in. I swear you haven't heard your digital front end till you throw this cable in the mix. So much money, but you would probably gladly spend three times this much, at Alex's sale price, for preamp or a dac that could make this kind of difference. I didn't know my stuff was this good previously. The Verites are capable of massive stage with the right stuff in front of them and also staggering depth and layering with anchored, substantially grounded images that you can reach out and touch. That last part is what the platinum power cord is bringing to the table. I hear low frequency detail, lower frequency harmonic structure and tone I have never previously heard with a really good Mad Sci cord. On Coco Scott's "Stay"(Blue Coast 11MHZ DSD), I could hear whoever was playing the piano step off the foot pedal at the end of the song and hear them start to walk away. Erie crazy, never heard that before. Matter of fact I barely heard it last night. Now with another 16 hours of refrigerator burn, it's there. I am at 60 hours of burn in on the power cord. Imagine what this thing will do at 200 hours. Tone and harmonic structure are far more evident, sounding even closer to a what a really good triode amp does. Wet rich tonal and harmonic density that integrates and flows with the melody and again is punctuated by clear ringing transient attacks that blend magically with anchored low fequency notes. And the highs resonate, ring and reverbate with even more air and echo. That phenomenal black silent background is like a living breathing thing that encompasses everything, it allows everything to stand out. And dynamics, I wont even go there.

And there at the tail end of it all the Verites just keep scaling, sounding even more like the best open back planars with all the slam whack and kick of great dynamic speakers. With this power cord in the system that visceral aspect of really good large speakers starts to feel much more present then it ever has. But no speaker I have ever heard, articulates low frequency harmonic and tone quite like these VC's do right now. In the next couple days I am ordering a JCAT USB XE so I will be selling off my USB femto. I expect this will be a transformative upgrade. What really excites me is how some of the reviewers indicate that the XE improves tone and harmonic structure of instruments. Oh my gosh.

I can't wait to get my ears on a serious kick ass 2 to 3 watt triode amp. But I am clearing a path and over the next year, hang on for a wild ride.

Very Happy Listening to everyone here,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #7,130 of 12,469
Anyone compare Auteur pads with Universe pads with their vc? Lambskin or hybrids.
I have three of them:
i) Auteur Lambskin
ii) Auteur Hybrid
iii)Universal Hybrid

Among three of them the auteur lambskin is the least favourite for me - bass is too bloomy, which kind of muffle bit of the lower mid.

Universal hybrid is the clearest among the three with best kick and instrument separation. Everything sounds clear and quite energetic to listen to. I would describe them as the most engaging one among the three pads.

Last comes the auteur hybrid, it is more laid back and more relaxing to listen to, but still retains all the details and resolution. If I just want to chill out, probably I will pick this one over the universal hybrid.

I tend to rotate between the auteur / universal hybrid after few weeks of listening and feel the 'ooh..' and 'aah..' again (if you know what I mean). Kind of fun to do that sometimes.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #7,131 of 12,469
Lovely! What a nice combination with that stand. Sound as good as they look?
Ok…after 100 hours of breaking my new VC in I finally put them on and…I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL…I BOUGHT THESE BLIND, SOLELY ON YOUR POSTINGS AND I AM A VERY HAPPY GUY…THANKS

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7,132 of 12,469
btw what pads are you using?
The Auteur Lambskin. I bought 3 others but (embarrassingly) haven't bothered to evaluate them. My setup is detailed here.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7,133 of 12,469
Time to venture back in with some new insights. .......But no speaker I have ever heard, articulates low frequency harmonic and tone quite like these VC's do right now.... (italics added by me)

Very Happy Listening to everyone here,

jgwtriode
That is a profound statement. A stunning testament to how fabulous these headphones really are, assuming you've heard excellent speakers (and if you own the VC and are on this forum, that's a safe assumption imo). :)

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #7,134 of 12,469
Indeed, I used to run Talon Khorus with Kimber Select Silver wiring throughout system on Bottlehead Paraglows modded to run 300Bs. Back when I was working in the industry!

Have since had to scale back quite a bit. But what I have now actually does everything, except sub bass, as well or better and the soundstage is at a similar level, but more 3d!

Very Happy Listening, to everyone here!

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,135 of 12,469
I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this, but metal sounds incredibly boomy/bloomy to distortion at times, and it feels like the driver is too far away?
To get more out of it, I have to crank up my amp on some songs. I'm using the universe leather pads and burson C3xp.
Other songs sound fantastic but still sounds far way but not as bad, but as soon as I try metal, things goes south.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #7,136 of 12,469
I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this, but metal sounds incredibly boomy/bloomy to distortion at times, and it feels like the driver is too far away?
To get more out of it, I have to crank up my amp on some songs. I'm using the universe leather pads and burson C3xp.
Other songs sound fantastic but still sounds far way but not as bad, but as soon as I try metal, things goes south.
I listen to a lot of metal, from old school NWOBHM bands like Angel Witch and Witchfynde, to stoner, doom, speed, pagan, folk, prog, melodeath, viking, etc...
The only genres I really am not into are math, neu, sludge, thrash, screamo and extreme death.

I havent experienced some of the issues you mentioned but I use the default Auteur pads. I can say that due to the piss poor production values inherent in a lot of metal recordings, the VC really exposes the shortcomings. This is the double edged sword that comes with an extremely revealing headphone.

Once you hear well recorded and mastered albums on the VC its very hard to enjoy albums with lesser production.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #7,137 of 12,469
I'm a big metalhead, and do not like metal on the VC much at all. It's too revealing of metal's notoriously poor production quality. Songs that sound decent on the Atticus or Eikon often sound like poop on the VC for me.

is it an issue with the soundstage being too large and diffuse compared to what you're used to? or could it be you're hearing some of the bad production other headphones are smoothing out and hiding? your amp is more than enough for the VC so i don't see it being a power or synergy issue.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #7,138 of 12,469
I listen to a lot of metal, from old school NWOBHM bands like Angel Witch and Witchfynde, to stoner, doom, speed, pagan, folk, prog, melodeath, viking, etc...
The only genres I really am not into are math, neu, sludge, thrash, screamo and extreme death.

I havent experienced some of the issues you mentioned but I use the default Auteur pads. I can say that due to the piss poor production values inherent in a lot of metal recordings, the VC really exposes the shortcomings. This is the double edged sword that comes with an extremely revealing headphone.

Once you hear well recorded and mastered albums on the VC its very hard to enjoy albums with lesser production.
the VC has changed what i listen to quite a bit. i often find myself seeking really high production quality stuff just for the VC. when everything aligns just right, the VC is a magical listen. but man it took a lot of work to get my system and playlist up to snuff for it. it's funny, I find myself seeking my Dragonfly Red and Koss Porta Pro when I want to listen to my most horrible metal stuff. it hides the warts and lets me rock out like when i was a teenager. but put that stuff on the VC and forget it, i want to rip the set off after a minute or so.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #7,139 of 12,469
the VC has changed what i listen to quite a bit. i often find myself seeking really high production quality stuff just for the VC. when everything aligns just right, the VC is a magical listen. but man it took a lot of work to get my system and playlist up to snuff for it. it's funny, I find myself seeking my Dragonfly Red and Koss Porta Pro when I want to listen to my most horrible metal stuff. it hides the warts and lets me rock out like when i was a teenager. but put that stuff on the VC and forget it, i want to rip the set off after a minute or so.
Yup.
I use the sextetts for metal, though some newer metal that has decent production, Amon Amarth, Abbath does sound pretty damn good on the VC

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #7,140 of 12,469
Yup.
I use the sextetts for metal, though some newer metal that has decent production, Amon Amarth, Abbath does sound pretty damn good on the VC
LOVE Amon Amarth, and yes, they have a few albums that do sound really good on the VC. I love them on the Atticus for that thick midrange, makes the guitars and his vocals come alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back