ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 11, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #7,156 of 12,522
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #7,157 of 12,522
Just some subjective impressions of the VC. The VC is noticeably better on live performance, movies, and even youtube browsing than the Stellia. The VC imparts weight and body to vocals, even on "youtube quality" files, which would otherwise sound harsh and very digital. The VC's also do well with well recorded music, but I've noticed that if the vocals on a track was already substantial and weighty, it could be slightly too much. The Stellia could take the weighty vocals and make them ethereal, while still not losing emphasis on the mid-range. When vocals in a track is light and airy to begin with, the VC's are awesome. It adds a touch of weight to the tone without sacrificing the nuances of a delicate track. I've found that the Stellia and the VC, despite both being closed backs, compliment each other. Verite, meaning truth, is really an apt name and descriptor of how the music is portrayed. And to think I almost sold them... would have been a mistake.
I haven't heard the Stellia but I've played around with convolution filters using AutoEq (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq). They're supposed to equalize the VC (along with hundreds of other headphones) and make them sound more neutral. By switching the filter on and off, you then realize how vocal-centric they are. The difference is quite dramatic (and I didn't say it was better!). All that to say they can easily be Eq'ed if you feel the midrange comes too forward. Personally, I like the way they sound.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #7,158 of 12,522
Just some subjective impressions of the VC. The VC is noticeably better on live performance, movies, and even youtube browsing than the Stellia. The VC imparts weight and body to vocals, even on "youtube quality" files, which would otherwise sound harsh and very digital. The VC's also do well with well recorded music, but I've noticed that if the vocals on a track was already substantial and weighty, it could be slightly too much. The Stellia could take the weighty vocals and make them ethereal, while still not losing emphasis on the mid-range. When vocals in a track is light and airy to begin with, the VC's are awesome. It adds a touch of weight to the tone without sacrificing the nuances of a delicate track. I've found that the Stellia and the VC, despite both being closed backs, compliment each other. Verite, meaning truth, is really an apt name and descriptor of how the music is portrayed. And to think I almost sold them... would have been a mistake.
I’m glad you gave them the chance they deserved.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #7,159 of 12,522
I am pretty confident you can easily sell the EL3N amp if you do not like it... I would say just buy it, try it at home for a while, and sell if you don't like it.
Actually you know what? The owner happened to own gotl as well, what kind of luck am I having! And he is willing to let me listen and compare both of them this coming weekend.. I can't wait..

I also own a lcd-x and Gle3n should be more 'versatile' as the ability to drive planar better than gotl? But based on most feedback the gotl seems to be a heavenly match with high impedance headphone. Once again, options, options..

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #7,160 of 12,522
I also own a lcd-x and Gle3n should be more 'versatile' as the ability to drive planar better than gotl?
My GOTL can drive the hell out of planars if I use 6336 tubes, which 99% of amps cant handle.
That being said I believe the Gel3n is better suited for planars as is the Glenn 300B

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #7,161 of 12,522
My GOTL can drive the hell out of planars if I use 6336 tubes, which 99% of amps cant handle.
That being said I believe the Gel3n is better suited for planars as is the Glenn 300B
Thanks for all the wonderful inputs! Guess I will let my ear decide and see how it goes!

While hunting for a tube amp, I still pretty much enjoy the VC, and I find them less picky on dac /amp, as in they will still sound pretty amazing. I was on mojo, they sound fantastic. I switch over to idsd micro black label, they sounds amazing. Now I am mainly on hugo2 and a90 (switch between), and I am enjoying it even more. This has also confirmed that it scales pretty well and it rewards you when you feed them with good quality juice. But when comes to bad recording, I think VC is a bit less forgiving, like I can tell instantly that it is bad recording.

Will report in once I get through this weekend's listening on both Glenn amp!

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #7,162 of 12,522
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #7,163 of 12,522
Actually you know what? The owner happened to own gotl as well, what kind of luck am I having! And he is willing to let me listen and compare both of them this coming weekend.. I can't wait..

I also own a lcd-x and Gle3n should be more 'versatile' as the ability to drive planar better than gotl? But based on most feedback the gotl seems to be a heavenly match with high impedance headphone. Once again, options, options..
Absolutely listen to both if possible....lucky you :relaxed:

Yes, the EL3N is more versatile, but as @Monsterzero said...the GOTL can still drive the easier to drive planars...just not quite as well as the EL3N
Nice fun ahead for you.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,164 of 12,522
Hi guys... got the VC Maple Burl coming next month (just sold my Silkwood VO), and now I've to decide on pads.

For VO, I liked Verite Perforated the best, but have no idea about the VC. I'm not a fan of Universe Perforated on the VO as it sounded a bit weird for me.

Which pad(s) you guys like with the VC?

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #7,165 of 12,522
Hi guys... got the VC Maple Burl coming next month (just sold my Silkwood VO), and now I've to decide on pads.

For VO, I liked Verite Perforated the best, but have no idea about the VC. I'm not a fan of Universe Perforated on the VO as it sounded a bit weird for me.

Which pad(s) you guys like with the VC?
I tried the three below and liking (i) and (ii) depends on the mood, but usually I just stick to the current pad and probably swap it few weeks apart to experience the difference. They are all good except (iii) which perhaps doesn't suit to my listening taste.

i) Universal hybrid - clean, better separation, more 'attack' - currently using, sometimes swap with (ii).
ii) Auteur hybrid - more laid back, more relaxing to listen to.
iii) Auteur solid - Didn't like it, too much bass to my liking.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #7,166 of 12,522
Anyone know if the Stax CPC-1 headphone cover (see below) fits on the Salire stands? I want to start doing some dust protection.

Stax-CPC-1.jpg

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #7,167 of 12,522
Aug 12, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #7,168 of 12,522
I haven't heard the Stellia but I've played around with convolution filters using AutoEq (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq). They're supposed to equalize the VC (along with hundreds of other headphones) and make them sound more neutral. By switching the filter on and off, you then realize how vocal-centric they are. The difference is quite dramatic (and I didn't say it was better!). All that to say they can easily be Eq'ed if you feel the midrange comes too forward. Personally, I like the way they sound.
I’ve also tried this (using crinacle’s profile for the VC + Auteur pads applied in Roon) and experienced similar results. Caveat— I’m still learning the characteristics of the VC, and my listening has been with the Auteur solid pads exclusively so far (to set a mental baseline). But, much to my surprise, I generally prefer Zach’s default tuning over any eq I’ve tried. I thought I was after “neutral”, as I’ve enjoyed characteristics of that objective in my other headphones and IEMs. But I’m finding the VC’s slight warmth with detail and encapsulating dimensionality to be quite captivating. When I switch on the PEQ, the sound characteristics are engaging in different ways: brighter, more forward, with a more obvious distinction between sub and mid bass and deeper front to back soundstage. Then I switch off the PEQ and feel like I’m home again. I can get some of the PEQ’d acoustic experience with my Moondrop Blessing 2. But, for me and my limited collection of headphones, the default VC experience is delightfully unique. The VC doesn’t sound un-neutral to me, though. My guess is that some combination of the physical acoustic space created by the large cups, wood construction, driver size and positioning (and maybe raw driver capability) are doing things with that slight warmth to create a detailed and pleasantly three dimensional soundstage that I haven’t encountered in my other headphone listening experiences. For me it pulls off a magic trick that produces a more “natural”
sounding gestalt. It’s still not like listening to speakers in my dedicated listening room, but it’s deeply pleasurable in its own way. I expect my approach to EQ will change as my understanding of the VC and how it portrays different musical genres matures, but I wouldn’t be surprised if minor tweaks are all that I’ll do for most music, with the occasional pad swap or more dramatic EQ for select listening scenarios.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #7,169 of 12,522
Off topic - Hey I just realize I watched your youtube review on VC earlier, which is really one of the key that made me pull the trigger to get the VC! Nice review whereby you compare both VO and VC!
Same here, Monsterzero. I’ve rewatched your review many times to try and understand the VC without the benefit of hearing them myself. Thanks for putting the effort into that review and this forum.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #7,170 of 12,522
First day photos. Olive wood - gray magnesium chasis - copper rods. Quite pleased with the combination.
Will post impressions listening soon.
20210810_172701.jpg

20210810_172631.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back