ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #7,097 of 12,522
Untitled.png

just a humble burson 3xp for now but definitely looking to get tubes next !

totally !
What a beauty! I think I ordered the same rod color with you, hope mine will look as good as yours

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #7,099 of 12,522
I almost sold my pair. Glad I didn't. Thankfully figured it out before making a big mistake :sweat_smile:. At the moment, I'm enjoying the lambskin auteur pads.
Must be how different pads changing the sounds I guess? 😬

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #7,100 of 12,522
Figured what out?
Swapped some cords around, specifically the power cord from my headphone amp. I had put a new power cord right before the VC's arrived. Sounded bloated, harsh, etc (common fare for cables needing burn in, in my experience), so I waited for it to burn in for about 100 hours and the VC were sounding cleaner and better. But there was still some slight excess energy in the mids, so I decided to connect my well used power cord instead and it sounds great, even with the Auteur pads that I couldn't stand before. (I understand some people don't believe in burn in or in power cords, it's just my observation).

Must be how different pads changing the sounds I guess? 😬
Yeah, I like how the Autuer Lambskins sound for me now.

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #7,101 of 12,522
I am using Auteur Hybrid (lambskin & suede) and am loving it.. Will try back the autuer lambskin, kind of forgot how do they sound.

Anyone tried BE solid before on VC? Wonder if I should give them a try.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #7,102 of 12,522
I have similar finding - the VC is extremely easy to listen to while retaining the details and resolutions. They are not as 'bitey' which I think sometimes you need the extra attack on certain notes.

With that being said, I still find it potraiting the emotion fairly well. Usually at those area I will tend to lower down the level from other headphones as they tend to be a tad shouty or piercing to my ear, but on VC it just goes up effortlessly.
That's right, that's it!
I want some notes to be more forward and bitey, also I'm thinking about getting a nicer dac and see if that would help, or consider purchasing some new headphones for jamming out haha.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #7,103 of 12,522
That's right, that's it!
I want some notes to be more forward and bitey, also I'm thinking about getting a nicer dac and see if that would help, or consider purchasing some new headphones for jamming out haha.
Try the BE2 pads; they'll slightly reduce the mid-bass hump and make things a little snappier. But the biggest difference - IMO - comes from the amp as much as the DAC. I find the VC really comes to life on a clean amp with excellent technical performance, be it SS or tubes.

You also have to factor that the overall presentation/timbre of the VC is not as ostensibly energetic as other headphones (esp. TH900/DT1770 etc). So if you've come from something with a distinct v-shape, you'll need to adjust.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #7,104 of 12,522
Swapped some cords around, specifically the power cord from my headphone amp. I had put a new power cord right before the VC's arrived. Sounded bloated, harsh, etc (common fare for cables needing burn in, in my experience), so I waited for it to burn in for about 100 hours and the VC were sounding cleaner and better. But there was still some slight excess energy in the mids, so I decided to connect my well used power cord instead and it sounds great, even with the Auteur pads that I couldn't stand before. (I understand some people don't believe in burn in or in power cords, it's just my observation)
It went from murky to oh, I can relax with these and forget I'm wearing headphones. Btw, what amp are you using? I'm super curious about power cables, power supplies, and anything power related, but I barely know much about it or even if I need it.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #7,105 of 12,522
Try the BE2 pads; they'll slightly reduce the mid-bass hump and make things a little snappier. But the biggest difference - IMO - comes from the amp as much as the DAC. I find the VC really comes to life on a clean amp with excellent technical performance, be it SS or tubes.
Without a doubt, yes.
I've had my eye on tube amplifiers for quite some time, and there are just too many to pick from.
Is anyone here that owns a DNA amplifier?
I'd like to learn more about this pairing.
You also have to factor that the overall presentation/timbre of the VC is not as ostensibly energetic as other headphones (esp. TH900/DT1770 etc). So if you've come from something with a distinct v-shape, you'll need to adjust.
That is why I am a huge fan of the vc.
I don't get tired after just one song, and I can't stop listening once I get started.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #7,107 of 12,522
Swapped some cords around, specifically the power cord from my headphone amp. I had put a new power cord right before the VC's arrived. Sounded bloated, harsh, etc (common fare for cables needing burn in, in my experience), so I waited for it to burn in for about 100 hours and the VC were sounding cleaner and better. But there was still some slight excess energy in the mids, so I decided to connect my well used power cord instead and it sounds great, even with the Auteur pads that I couldn't stand before. (I understand some people don't believe in burn in or in power cords, it's just my observation).

Everything in your chain makes a difference. Everything.
Of course you will be mocked, ridiculed and called a fool, but at least your music will sound better.

I almost dismissed my current pair of RCA cables because it sounded slow with faster metal, however once I swapped out a pair of KenRad 6J5s for a pair of Sylvania 6J5s the perceived slowness disappeared.

We just moved into our new house (thanks to @jinxy245 & @Pharmaboy for all of the advice) and im having our electrician install a dedicated 20 amp AC line just for my audio gear. Good clean electricity helps a ton!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #7,108 of 12,522
Everything in your chain makes a difference. Everything.
Of course you will be mocked, ridiculed and called a fool, but at least your music will sound better.

I almost dismissed my current pair of RCA cables because it sounded slow with faster metal, however once I swapped out a pair of KenRad 6J5s for a pair of Sylvania 6J5s the perceived slowness disappeared.

We just moved into our new house (thanks to @jinxy245 & @Pharmaboy for all of the advice) and im having our electrician install a dedicated 20 amp AC line just for my audio gear. Good clean electricity helps a ton!
Yeah, I was contemplating whether or not I should mention power cords at all due to the stigma associated to it. But, it's audible to me. So, thought I should share that.
I completely agree with clean electricity as well. I could swear that there is a noticeable improvement in audio quality late in the night compared to earlier in the day. That's the reason why I purchased a power plant from PSaudio. Clean ac power definitely improved the overall listening experience.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #7,109 of 12,522
I have similar finding - the VC is extremely easy to listen to while retaining the details and resolutions. They are not as 'bitey' which I think sometimes you need the extra attack on certain notes.

With that being said, I still find it potraiting the emotion fairly well. Usually at those area I will tend to lower down the level from other headphones as they tend to be a tad shouty or piercing to my ear, but on VC it just goes up effortlessly.
My experience seems similar. Although they are still burning in, I find the VC relaxing, but with lots of space and detail that I can dive into if I like.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #7,110 of 12,522
Yeah, I was contemplating whether or not I should mention power cords at all due to the stigma associated to it. But, it's audible to me. So, thought I should share that.
Dont ever pay attention to any such comments and criticism. We are all different. We see differently. Hear differently. Experience differently. Period. Thats a fact. Some of us can hear differences, while others dont. Both are fine. I can almost gurantee you that even with absolutely identical setup, we all are gonna hear something varying. Its just that simple. If you feel like your purchase gives you improvement in sound quality, then congrats brother, you are right. If you think that your new high end product, be in cable, power cord, pads or what ever doesnt give you the result that you desire, then congrats again, you are also correct. Everyone will only support claims based on their own experience. No one will ever post here saying that "this guy thinks this thing is good so you should do it too, or so and so hates this cable so you should hate it as well". Wish it was that easy. We all post based on our own research and personal opinion and taste. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with whatever it is that you are claiming to have experience.

The only indisputable fact is PINK FLOYD is the best band of all time. FACT. Case closed LOL.

Have fun on your journey and let us know how we can help enhance the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back