ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 19, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,976 of 12,522
For a good 3D open soundstage and bass, which pads have you all found to be most preferable? I'm currently with the LTD Olive, so it's a harder wood. So far, I think I like the Auteur solid over the hybrid. Curious about the Universe and BE-2 ones though

Auteur solid will have the largest soundstage of the pads you listed, for sure.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #6,977 of 12,522
After starting with Auteur Hybrids and comparing them to Universe Lambskin. Clearly the Auteur Hybrids were noticeably wider and more balanced as far as staging. The Universe Lambskin are more holographic and have a bit more kick in the bottom but are not as tonally even on the Leopardwood. After seeing that thorough comparison of pads on this forum decided to try the Auteur Lambskin. Wow, tonally they may not be as even as the hybrid but they are very close with more
kick in the bottom, with a touch more extension, more air and clarity in upper mids through the highs. They let the harmonics of stringed instruments really shine in a way that I don't quite hear with the Hybrids. Female vocals are also nicely lit as well. I don't feel any loss on males vocals, but a hint of warmth is not quite there. I think your trading harmonic and improved group delay for a slight loss of tone, but a few tweaks and careful cable choice can bring that right back. The lambskin are right between the Universe Lambskin and Auteur Hybrids in soundstage depth and Focus and 3 dimensionality. They definitely have the most balanced soundstaging. I suppose they could be a bit bright, again, tweaking, tuning and cables can pretty much eliminate that. I use a lot of Mad Sci tuning devices and a few Shun Mook Mpingo Discs. I also shim my cones under my DAC/AMP. I do a combination of 3; two audiopoints brass and 1 black dh ceramic cone. I use a combo of stainless stainless steel, brass and ceramic between each cone and the shelf it sits on. This seems to couple more spurious vibration and energy into the stand. Playing with these relationships also allows you to tune the sound of the DAC and increase the openness, detail and dynamics you hear. And don't forget PRAT as well.

Point is: Find the pad that really does what you want and then start playing with your system. 3D focus, then harmonic structure, next tone, must have staging, I want to breathe the air and be smacked with solid dynamics and kick. Easiest to achieve all of these things with The Auteur Lambskin Solid.

It will take some experimentation, but that's what is so rewarding with the Verite closed. It is easy to hear every little thing you do. And as the Gordon Sumner song goes. "Every little thing she does is magic!"

Happy listening, find the magic,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #6,978 of 12,522
I have the VC and love them with my bifrost2 and bottlehead crack. I decided to upgrade my system once i heard my VC paired with a prima luna Evo 400. That was the beat sound i ever heard out of a headphone. I just bought a TT2 and now i am shopping for tube amp. Thinking about either the forge, pendant se or prima luna evo 100. How did you end up choosing the forge. Anyone have a recommendation?
PrimaLuna Evo was the first tube amp I've ever heard and it was probably the closest to a spiritual experience I've had on a headphone system. The thought of returning to hear it again has stuck with me since I heard it 4 years ago when I started this hobby. The following is part of notes I took on a recent visit to TSAV.

I recently got to hear my VC on a WA33. I wanted to see what all the hype behind the Woo Audio WA33 was all about. The WA33 was connected to the Questyle CAS192D mentioned earlier. Wayne mentioned the WA33 is an upgraded model with internal changes, but not their flagship Elite model. Upon further research, this upgraded unit utilizes JPS Labs proprietary “Alumiloy” wiring throughout the system. Settings used were headphone out, high impedance, low gain, and set to the balanced input. DAC was connected with what appear to be Tributaries Series 8 XLR interconnects (for those interested). Now, to the listening.

Yup. This is the best tube amp I’ve heard. It brought out the best performance I’ve ever heard on the VC. VC kept it’s warm, euphonic qualities but the imaging became incredibly precise, full-bodied and realistic. This thing puts out so much power evidently that there wasn’t a lot of play with the pot even at low gain. Even with the volume a bit louder than I would normally listen at, the VC was able to maintain all control and output sound that was not harsh, something I can’t say for most headphone amps I’ve tried with the VC at this volume. Another thing worth mentioning was the blackness of the background. Somehow the WA33 was able to reject any noise coming from my phone, which was less than 3 feet away (distance recommended by Wayne for tube amp use). All the tube amps I’ve tried prior were not immune to RF noise and picked it up to at least a minimal degree if my phone was within 3 feet of the amp. Another little piece of info I was able to verify after the fact was the amount of power this thing is able to output, 10 watts per channel! Holy.

I got try Kenzie and Mogwai(?). The VC out of the 32ohm on each of them had the synergy of peanut and jelly. Another amp worth looking into that I tried is the McIntosh MHA200. That thing sounds great, has such a compact footprint, and 4-pin balanced out.

One of these days, I hope to try the VC on that PrimaLuna Evo for comparison. My VC had the Solid Auteur Leather pads on for those interested.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #6,979 of 12,522
After starting with Auteur Hybrids and comparing them to Universe Lambskin. Clearly the Auteur Hybrids were noticeably wider and more balanced as far as staging. The Universe Lambskin are more holographic and have a bit more kick in the bottom but are not as tonally even on the Leopardwood. After seeing that thorough comparison of pads on this forum decided to try the Auteur Lambskin. Wow, tonally they may not be as even as the hybrid but they are very close with more
kick in the bottom, with a touch more extension, more air and clarity in upper mids through the highs. They let the harmonics of stringed instruments really shine in a way that I don't quite hear with the Hybrids. Female vocals are also nicely lit as well. I don't feel any loss on males vocals, but a hint of warmth is not quite there. I think your trading harmonic and improved group delay for a slight loss of tone, but a few tweaks and careful cable choice can bring that right back. The lambskin are right between the Universe Lambskin and Auteur Hybrids in soundstage depth and Focus and 3 dimensionality. They definitely have the most balanced soundstaging. I suppose they could be a bit bright, again, tweaking, tuning and cables can pretty much eliminate that. I use a lot of Mad Sci tuning devices and a few Shun Mook Mpingo Discs. I also shim my cones under my DAC/AMP. I do a combination of 3; two audiopoints brass and 1 black dh ceramic cone. I use a combo of stainless stainless steel, brass and ceramic between each cone and the shelf it sits on. This seems to couple more spurious vibration and energy into the stand. Playing with these relationships also allows you to tune the sound of the DAC and increase the openness, detail and dynamics you hear. And don't forget PRAT as well.

Point is: Find the pad that really does what you want and then start playing with your system. 3D focus, then harmonic structure, next tone, must have staging, I want to breathe the air and be smacked with solid dynamics and kick. Easiest to achieve all of these things with The Auteur Lambskin Solid.

It will take some experimentation, but that's what is so rewarding with the Verite closed. It is easy to hear every little thing you do. And as the Gordon Sumner song goes. "Every little thing she does is magic!"

jgwtriode
Agreed

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #6,980 of 12,522

jgwtriode
Well said and I concur! The VC really lets you hear every little tweak to the system.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #6,982 of 12,522
This is good to hear! I'm talking to Wayne about this amp right now. What DAC were you listening through?
It was initially paired with an SPL Director, which sounded impressively balanced and dynamic. Later, I asked about the Qutest, which Wayne offered to connect to the MHA200. This pairing sounded even better to me (closer to my preferences). Makes sense as the Qutest is also my main DAC at home. From my brief listen, it had roughly the same tonal balance and dynamics but with ever so slightly smoother transients as to make everything sound more natural. Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t warmer or more wooly sounding. It just sounded less analytical. The system also benefited from Qutest’s improved image distinction over the Director.

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #6,983 of 12,522
It was initially paired with an SPL Director, which sounded impressively balanced and dynamic. Later, I asked about the Qutest, which Wayne offered to connect to the MHA200. This pairing sounded even better to me (closer to my preferences). Makes sense as the Qutest is also my main DAC at home. From my brief listen, it had roughly the same tonal balance and dynamics but with ever so slightly smoother transients as to make everything sound more natural. Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t warmer or more wooly sounding. It just sounded less analytical. The system also benefited from Qutest’s improved image distinction over the Director.

Your posts are getting better and better for me! That is exactly the combo I am talking to Wayne about: Qutest + MHA200. You're making this decision easier - thanks :beerchug:

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #6,984 of 12,522
You got it
1626798947668.gif

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #6,986 of 12,522

jgwtriode

Thanks for that detailed response! That's the feeling I was getting. So basically the Universe pads are pretty close to the Auteur?

I wonder if the BE-2 pads are worth any consideration.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #6,989 of 12,522
I don’t think there is hype about them, although I wouldn’t listen to his advice about a $25 purchase let alone $2500. I only use suede pads and the Eikon ones are the worst with the VC, and my favorites on Eikon (go figure, it’s almost as if the creator knows which of his own pads go best with each model of headphones 😉). Universe and BE-2 suedes are both excellent.
I’ve primary listened with the stock Auteur pads and the Universe but recently got the BE-2 lamb skins. And they really change the sound signature to more neutral. Will probably go back to the Auteurs for the rich sound but I do like the Be-2s with jazz.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #6,990 of 12,522
I don’t think there is hype about them, although I wouldn’t listen to his advice about a $25 purchase let alone $2500.
Zeos is certainly a character but I will say the Tor Balanced amp he praises does pair very well with the VCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back