ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #7,006 of 12,524
I would also add - if you're looking for something more portable, the Cayin C9 pairs absolutely beautifully with the VC. There's a few other members on this thread who have it, and would, I think, testify to the merits of this pairing. The C9 has more than enough headroom to drive the VC with excellent dynamics and speed.

I'll second this! Only caveat is the C9's price, though for this use case it would be a top-tier option for sure. I loved mine :)

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #7,007 of 12,524
The VC isn't too power hungry. I have to use more volume with my HD650 than I do the VC, if that helps for reference. I've run it on lower power units like the Schiit Vali 2 with good success. What's more difficult is synergy. You can feed the VC gobs of power and have it sound like butt. Or feed it a slight amount and have it sound great. I'm unfamiliar with the dx300, but I did get to demo a Diablo and it had more than enough power to drive it adequately. I thought it was a bit harsh sounding and compressed, but that was more a limitation of the unit vs being underpowered.
Ok thanks. I want to get a really good amp and dac so I will have plenty of power for future headphones. I am wanting an Abyss product too in the future so I want to get something I want have to replacevlater on. I should be good with whatever I get if they aren't too power hungry. I have a dx300 and a mojo do I wonder how they would do for portability. Do you have any suggestions on a portable dac/amp?

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #7,008 of 12,524
What kind of power does the VC need to be driven properly? I want a desktop set up but I also was wondering how a dx300 and a ifi diablo would drive the VC? If anyone could chime in and help me out that would be great. Thx!
Really not very much. Sensitivity is low but impedance is high, so to my understanding, you want an amp capable of providing high voltage swings and likely an output impedance of higher than 1 so as not to overly dampen the drivers.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #7,009 of 12,524
Ok thanks. I want to get a really good amp and dac so I will have plenty of power for future headphones. I am wanting an Abyss product too in the future so I want to get something I want have to replacevlater on. I should be good with whatever I get if they aren't too power hungry. I have a dx300 and a mojo do I wonder how they would do for portability. Do you have any suggestions on a portable dac/amp?
Unfortunately I only use my ZMFs with a big desktop setup. For portable listening I just grab my Dragonfly Red and either my Sennheiser Momentum or Koss PortaPro. I just find it easier to deal with those vs the big ZMFs for portable use. The Mojo is a nice sounding unit, I had one ages ago, it seems, and did like my Auteur on it quite a bit.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #7,010 of 12,524
Going to have a Verite Closed on order very soon. Shout of to my soon to be wife who buying it for me as an engagement gift. Truly shocked last night when she goes, "Why don't you pick out one of those wood headphones you are always showing me and I'll get it for you as an engagement gift" ..she really does listen when I talk. I choose a keeper. Thank you to everyone who has posted a review or impression of this headphone or amps you are using with it. Truly makes my life easier.

Anyway.. time to upgrade my setup into something bigger. Currently rocking a MCTH and a modi 2. They served me well over the years. I've come up with 3 scenarios.

1) Echo Mk2 and a bifrost. I'm also looking into Quicksilver and the MZ2.. my desk is just small so I'd have to see if either of those would fit. The MZ2 with the case could be great since my one cat is very attracted to tubes LOL.

2) Insane Schiit Stack.. Bifrost, Jot2, Lokius. This could be a ton of fun and saves space.

3) ifi Diablo. Would save me some money and I could also get out of the office and listen on my porch or sunroom or in bed. I have a feeling if I go with 1 or 2 I'll still be getting this down the road.
Indeed congrats on both the upcoming marriage and the VC! Not familiar with the Echo, but the Bifrost2 pairs quite well with ZMFs IME. Best of luck!!

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #7,011 of 12,524
Unfortunately I only use my ZMFs with a big desktop setup. For portable listening I just grab my Dragonfly Red and either my Sennheiser Momentum or Koss PortaPro. I just find it easier to deal with those vs the big ZMFs for portable use. The Mojo is a nice sounding unit, I had one ages ago, it seems, and did like my Auteur on it quite a bit.
I do most of my portable listening with myMest Mk2, Andromeda 2020, or Noble K10 with dx300. I am planning on getting a desktop set up but I would still like the option of having portability for when I am gone from home for several days.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,012 of 12,524
Sensitivity is low but impedance is high
Ive seen HPs with a higher sensitivity, but I wouldnt go so far as to say the VC has a "low" sensitivity.
300 ohms w/ a 99 sensitivity.

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #7,013 of 12,524
Ive seen HPs with a higher sensitivity, but I wouldnt go so far as to say the VC has a "low" sensitivity.
300 ohms w/ a 99 sensitivity.
You’re right. I meant they are sensitive (so pretty easy to drive) but high impedance. High sensitivity = easier to drive, got muddled lol

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #7,014 of 12,524
Going to have a Verite Closed on order very soon. Shout of to my soon to be wife who buying it for me as an engagement gift. Truly shocked last night when she goes, "Why don't you pick out one of those wood headphones you are always showing me and I'll get it for you as an engagement gift" ..she really does listen when I talk. I choose a keeper. Thank you to everyone who has posted a review or impression of this headphone or amps you are using with it. Truly makes my life easier.

Anyway.. time to upgrade my setup into something bigger. Currently rocking a MCTH and a modi 2. They served me well over the years. I've come up with 3 scenarios.

1) Echo Mk2 and a bifrost. I'm also looking into Quicksilver and the MZ2.. my desk is just small so I'd have to see if either of those would fit. The MZ2 with the case could be great since my one cat is very attracted to tubes LOL.

2) Insane Schiit Stack.. Bifrost, Jot2, Lokius. This could be a ton of fun and saves space.

3) ifi Diablo. Would save me some money and I could also get out of the office and listen on my porch or sunroom or in bed. I have a feeling if I go with 1 or 2 I'll still be getting this down the road.
The Verite Closed sound absolutely fabulous through the MicroZOTL 2, in my humble opinion.

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #7,015 of 12,524
BE-2 leather is my "default" pad - they slightly reduce mid-bass (but retain sub-bass), and thus generate a little more space for the high-end to come through. Universe is a tad too flat for me, but BE-2 is a good balance between Auteur and Universe. I find the clarity best overall.

Interesting. I guess I'll need to give them a try!

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #7,017 of 12,524
What kind of power does the VC need to be driven properly? I want a desktop set up but I also was wondering how a dx300 and a ifi diablo would drive the VC? If anyone could chime in and help me out that would be great. Thx!
Running my Olive VC Portably via a Fiio M15 and it absolutely sings, despite it not supporting Apple Music, I still have a good portion of my Library in FLACs and my free Tidal Hi-Fi sub and at a Volume of 60 it gets pretty loud 70+ begins to hurt my ears. I don’t think the dx300 is as Powerful as the M15 Spec wise, but It should be able to drive them reasonably well, not only that it probably feel smoother due to the faster SoC.

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #7,018 of 12,524
So i pulled off my Auteur Lambskins and threw on the BE2s lambskin. Interesting maybe a hint more focus, quite 3D, not nearly as musical, Sound staging better than Universe lambskin. Not quite as focused or deep as the Universe, Tonally kind of a mixed bag Sub bass okay, but not nearly the punch of the Auteur or the Universe. Also slows PRAT a bit. Harder to follow the notes and harmonic structure, not as good as the Universe or the Auteur. The Auteur pad is definitely the best on PRAT, notes , harmonics and musical flow. upper mids are a bit more present but I don't really hear the upper frequencies more clearly nor is their any more air and the Auteurs actually have a hint more sparkle in the very top with out being terribly bright, this is very cable and electronics dependent I imagine. Weight and solidity and size of images is definitely Auteur, I think that has a lot to do with Harmonic structure and group delay which is again the domain of the Auteur lambskin. The Universe is better at this as well. This likely is a function of pad thickness, since that seems the most obvious difference between these pads, possibly the larger pad opening on the Auteur as well. I like the staging better than the Universe, but not nearly to the degree of the Auteur. And neither the Universe nor the BE2 really fill up the entirety of their stage the way the Auteur pad does. I find myself saying yeah this is great with either the BE2 or the Universe, but with Auteur I am tapping my feet, singing and bobbing my head and I think that says it all!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #7,019 of 12,524
@Huntersknoll I’ll chime in with a glowing recommendation of the Bifrost 2 > Quicksilver Headphone Amp combo you are considering. It sounds incredible with my VC. I have an SW51+ as well, and it is amazing for the asking price. If you come across one used, I say snatch it up! That being said, the Quicksilver is a step up. I’m currently trying out my hand at tube rolling, but I haven’t found a combination yet that sounds less than stellar.

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #7,020 of 12,524
Running my Olive VC Portably via a Fiio M15 and it absolutely sings, despite it not supporting Apple Music, I still have a good portion of my Library in FLACs and my free Tidal Hi-Fi sub and at a Volume of 60 it gets pretty loud 70+ begins to hurt my ears. I don’t think the dx300 is as Powerful as the M15 Spec wise, but It should be able to drive them reasonably well, not only that it probably feel smoother due to the faster SoC.
Thanks for the info. That gives me a good idea what I can expect with the dx300. The dx300 is actually more powerful than the m15. The M15 maxes 800 mw in 32 ohms and the dx300 maxes 1240 mw in the 32 ohms. I could get the fully balanced amp 12 that has even more power and definitely be good. I will have a desktop setup but it's good to know I will be able to drive it on the go if I need to. Now just gotta do the hard part and save up that money! Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back