ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #6,991 of 12,469
Thanks for that detailed response! That's the feeling I was getting. So basically the Universe pads are pretty close to the Auteur?

I wonder if the BE-2 pads are worth any consideration.
The universe are kind of Similar but they emphasize mid and lower bass. Are not as tonally or harmonically rich. They highlight upper mids a bit and are generally a bit brighter. Not nearly as even as either Auteur pads. They are bit thin tonally and are less harmonically correct then either of the Auteur pads. As I tune my system more effectively I find the Auteur Lambskin really show off this quality. Instruments have so much bloom and body. Fundamental and overtones are much more evident. Much like what good Triode amplification does. It's magic!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #6,993 of 12,469
Pairing my VC Olive with the Sparkos Aries and Bifrost 2. Loving it so far!

20210721_000329.jpg

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #6,995 of 12,469
I started lusting after this little beauty after listening to Justin Weber on the Headphone show! Going to load up the piggy bank fast as I can 6 to 9 months is the goal. Starting now. I should consider a Go Fund Me for needed musical therapy. LOL! ampsandsound Rockwell! 6B4G9(similar to 2A3 with different voltage) and 6SL7. Massively oversized iron and reasonably modern styling for this approach. 3.5 Watts conservatively rate. Absolutely gorgeous. Imagine what the VC's would do with this baby!

Happy listening and dreaming,

jgwtriode

Rockwell__8052_5000x.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,996 of 12,469
Going to have a Verite Closed on order very soon. Shout of to my soon to be wife who buying it for me as an engagement gift. Truly shocked last night when she goes, "Why don't you pick out one of those wood headphones you are always showing me and I'll get it for you as an engagement gift" ..she really does listen when I talk. I choose a keeper. Thank you to everyone who has posted a review or impression of this headphone or amps you are using with it. Truly makes my life easier.

Anyway.. time to upgrade my setup into something bigger. Currently rocking a MCTH and a modi 2. They served me well over the years. I've come up with 3 scenarios.

1) Echo Mk2 and a bifrost. I'm also looking into Quicksilver and the MZ2.. my desk is just small so I'd have to see if either of those would fit. The MZ2 with the case could be great since my one cat is very attracted to tubes LOL.

2) Insane Schiit Stack.. Bifrost, Jot2, Lokius. This could be a ton of fun and saves space.

3) ifi Diablo. Would save me some money and I could also get out of the office and listen on my porch or sunroom or in bed. I have a feeling if I go with 1 or 2 I'll still be getting this down the road.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6,997 of 12,469
Going to have a Verite Closed on order very soon. Shout of to my soon to be wife who buying it for me as an engagement gift. Truly shocked last night when she goes, "Why don't you pick out one of those wood headphones you are always showing me and I'll get it for you as an engagement gift" ..she really does listen when I talk. I choose a keeper. Thank you to everyone who has posted a review or impression of this headphone or amps you are using with it. Truly makes my life easier.

Anyway.. time to upgrade my setup into something bigger. Currently rocking a MCTH and a modi 2. They served me well over the years. I've come up with 3 scenarios.

1) Echo Mk2 and a bifrost. I'm also looking into Quicksilver and the MZ2.. my desk is just small so I'd have to see if either of those would fit. The MZ2 with the case could be great since my one cat is very attracted to tubes LOL.

2) Insane Schiit Stack.. Bifrost, Jot2, Lokius. This could be a ton of fun and saves space.

3) ifi Diablo. Would save me some money and I could also get out of the office and listen on my porch or sunroom or in bed. I have a feeling if I go with 1 or 2 I'll still be getting this down the road.
Wow! What a catch you got there...you have a keeper. Congrats on both the soon to be wife and the headphone :)

As far as what you should do, that all depends on the budget and if it is just the three options listed above ...I have no idea...but someone here will.

As far as the headphone goes, it is superb.

I have been listening to these guys a lot lately....with the VC it sound like there may be one or two more musicians playing :wink:

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #6,998 of 12,469
Wow! What a catch you got there...you have a keeper. Congrats on both the soon to be wife and the headphone :)

As far as what you should do, that all depends on the budget and if it is just the three options listed above ...I have no idea...but someone here will.

As far as the headphone goes, it is superb.

I have been listening to these guys a lot lately....with the VC it sound like there may be one or two more musicians playing :wink:

Thanks! I'm not as much as asking what I should do but more just laying it out for myself. I know whichever way I go I'll get happy. Just something I'll be researching too much into in then next few months lol.

Also, that is a sick song. I'll be adding into a playlist of first songs to listen to.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #6,999 of 12,469
Thanks for that detailed response! That's the feeling I was getting. So basically the Universe pads are pretty close to the Auteur?

I wonder if the BE-2 pads are worth any consideration.
BE-2 leather is my "default" pad - they slightly reduce mid-bass (but retain sub-bass), and thus generate a little more space for the high-end to come through. Universe is a tad too flat for me, but BE-2 is a good balance between Auteur and Universe. I find the clarity best overall.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #7,000 of 12,469
Going to have a Verite Closed on order very soon. Shout of to my soon to be wife who buying it for me as an engagement gift. Truly shocked last night when she goes, "Why don't you pick out one of those wood headphones you are always showing me and I'll get it for you as an engagement gift" ..she really does listen when I talk. I choose a keeper. Thank you to everyone who has posted a review or impression of this headphone or amps you are using with it. Truly makes my life easier...

I'll congratulate you on the new VC, but more than anything congrats on your wonderful fiancee, that's amazing :)

My one suggestion on an alternate #3 option would be to go with a Phatlab Chimera portable/hybrid (selectable between solid/tube modes), it has plenty of juice for the VC and a sweeter flavor than the Diablo, and will give it some of the tube flavor ZMFs crave. I have the Phatlab Sassy GT (no longer in production) and it pairs excellently. There's also an option that includes a DAC if you wish.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #7,001 of 12,469

Wow, congrats on everything!

I just ordered an MZ2 myself following glowing reports here of the synergy with VC. Ditto on the casing for tube protection but in my case for a toddler rather than a cat 🙀

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #7,002 of 12,469

I would also add - if you're looking for something more portable, the Cayin C9 pairs absolutely beautifully with the VC. There's a few other members on this thread who have it, and would, I think, testify to the merits of this pairing. The C9 has more than enough headroom to drive the VC with excellent dynamics and speed.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #7,003 of 12,469

IMO option# 1 all the way. ZMFs and tubes have tremendous synergy. The Bifrost is all the dac you'd need, and the Echo is a great sounding amp. I've not heard the Jot 2 yet, but so far I'm just not loving my VC on any solid state amps. I've tries quite a few too! The Phonitor is the best i've tries so far and it still cannot compete with tubes with the VC.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #7,004 of 12,469
What kind of power does the VC need to be driven properly? I want a desktop set up but I also was wondering how a dx300 and a ifi diablo would drive the VC? If anyone could chime in and help me out that would be great. Thx!

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #7,005 of 12,469
What kind of power does the VC need to be driven properly? I want a desktop set up but I also was wondering how a dx300 and a ifi diablo would drive the VC? If anyone could chime in and help me out that would be great. Thx!
The VC isn't too power hungry. I have to use more volume with my HD650 than I do the VC, if that helps for reference. I've run it on lower power units like the Schiit Vali 2 with good success. What's more difficult is synergy. You can feed the VC gobs of power and have it sound like butt. Or feed it a slight amount and have it sound great. I'm unfamiliar with the dx300, but I did get to demo a Diablo and it had more than enough power to drive it adequately. I thought it was a bit harsh sounding and compressed, but that was more a limitation of the unit vs being underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back