ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 12, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #5,521 of 12,549
Bad photo I know, but here are my VC's. Info below.

Wood: Olive
Weight: 549g with auteur pads
Density: 2700 lbf per wood-database.com

ao9jEQs.jpg
How is the olive wood sounding to you? It's supposedly more dense than the monkeypod and the stabilized cups (maple) which would mean it helps tame the reverb better. Very curious to see (hear) the effect on sound stage and spaciousness.

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #5,522 of 12,549
Unless Norne is closing shop - that means a delay. I am not too worried about that... :wink:

Well, yes and no. I mean if the consensus (as much as we can reach one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) is that copper is better than silver for VC, or hybrid copper/silver is better than just copper or just silver - then it is an important data point!
@Audioraider was so enthusiastic about his recommendation - that it definitely made me think about it... I remember couple years ago - Dan Clark (formerly Mr. Speakers, now DCA) strongly recommended Wywires Platinum for his headphones. Neither cable is cheap (but neither is the VC)... If the cables were cheaper or had a good return policy - I would have bought both to compare!
Unfortunately, the hybrid I have is discontinued and not all copper cable sounds the same, and same goes for silver and hybrid wires. So, it really depends on to many factors to form a consensus.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #5,523 of 12,549
How is the olive wood sounding to you? It's supposedly more dense than the monkeypod and the stabilized cups (maple) which would mean it helps tame the reverb better. Very curious to see (hear) the effect on sound stage and spaciousness.
I do not have any other ZMF's to compare it to reverb wise. I am currently using auteur pads and amping with 789. I have not gotten my sw51+ yet. This is just for setting up a base line. I will also put a disclaimer out there that I do not (or have not) hear soundstage in headphones as some people describe as being well beyond headphones like the size of room/auditorium/concert hall etc. Everything is very much in my head with maybe slight extension past ears, but not much if any.

I did tone generator samples 0.1s and 0.3s long at 20-100 every 10 hz, 100-1000 every 100 hz, 1000-15000 every 1000 hz. I'm not saying this is a conclusive test or result by any means. I don't hear any reverb. I should probably do this test and compare any songs with my speakers to have a more absolute answer as I am not ABing anything right now.

If you want some specific songs for me to listen to, then I will listen and report back.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #5,524 of 12,549
I just received my VC monkey pod and as I was admiring its beauty, darn! ran into what looks like a chip or something like it..Initially I thought it must be wood characteristic for the discoloration but as I run my finger across clearly it doesn't feel smooth and can feel indent :frowning2:

I am sure its not going to affect the sound but for the $ I was not expecting anything like that...have anyone had similar issue and how was it rectified?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4778.jpg
    IMG_4778.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #5,525 of 12,549
I just received my VC monkey pod and as I was admiring its beauty, darn! ran into what looks like a chip or something like it..Initially I thought it must be wood characteristic for the discoloration but as I run my finger across clearly it doesn't feel smooth and can feel indent :frowning2:

I am sure its not going to affect the sound but for the $ I was not expecting anything like that...have anyone had similar issue and how was it rectified?

Thanks
Email them, they will most likely give you some options.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,526 of 12,549
Has anyone compared/used a Violectric v280 and an SPL Phonitor X with their ZMF’s? If so what are your thoughts on how they compare? Looking for best SS options to pair with a VC and that might add a little warmth

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #5,527 of 12,549
I do not have any other ZMF's to compare it to reverb wise. I am currently using auteur pads and amping with 789. I have not gotten my sw51+ yet. This is just for setting up a base line. I will also put a disclaimer out there that I do not (or have not) hear soundstage in headphones as some people describe as being well beyond headphones like the size of room/auditorium/concert hall etc. Everything is very much in my head with maybe slight extension past ears, but not much if any.

I did tone generator samples 0.1s and 0.3s long at 20-100 every 10 hz, 100-1000 every 100 hz, 1000-15000 every 1000 hz. I'm not saying this is a conclusive test or result by any means. I don't hear any reverb. I should probably do this test and compare any songs with my speakers to have a more absolute anI know swer as I am not ABing anything right now.

If you want some specific songs for me to listen to, then I will listen and report back.
Ah, I see. Subjectively, are you enjoying your headphones, and are there characteristics that you are partial too (like tonality, detail retrieval, etc) that you find your VC's doing well. I myself tend to gravitate towards vocal-centric tracks and string instruments. "Song to the siren" and "Orange trees" by Rose Betts are two songs that I have been listening to on a frequent basis and I would be curious as to how they would sound on the VC's. Postmodern Jukebox's "Alone" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" are two tracks I would be curious about as well.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #5,528 of 12,549
Email them, they will most likely give you some options.
just emailed Zach....May be as simple as some polish that I just need to rub..

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #5,529 of 12,549
Has anyone compared/used a Violectric v280 and an SPL Phonitor X with their ZMF’s? If so what are your thoughts on how they compare? Looking for best SS options to pair with a VC and that might add a little warmth
I use v281 but dont have too much time with VC as I just received it few hrs ago...but I like what I am hearing so far (I know too early to make anything out of few hrs). Coming from HD800s, v281 seems pairs well for my needs with VC. Dynamics are plenty and musical to my ears - bass feels bit bloated for my taste but I am sure it will settle in with some burn-in.

I used to have tube amp but got tired of tube rolling and decided to settle on v281 last year. Most here feel tube amp to be good match for VC though.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #5,530 of 12,549

I own a SPL Phonitor X and a ZMF Verite open. I love the Phonitor X and I love my VO but I don't love them together. For the VO I've settled on a ALO Audio Studio Six- SET tube amp. I also use,though not as often, a hybrid amp, the Rogue Audio RH-5. I realize your looking for a soild state solution but you may also consider a hybrid option. Or as many people also recommend a pure tube design to pair with your ZMFs.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,531 of 12,549
I have the Phonitor E and had the V280. I personally like the Phonitor more, its cleaner sounding with better dynamic range, and lets the inherent warmth of the headphones and my R2R NOS dac shine through. The V280 is also a very fine amp, I don't think poorly of it. But the Phonitor better matches my preferences for a solid state amp. I found the V280 to sound a bit mellow and sleepy with my ZMFs. It is a warmer, smoother amp than the Phonitor. I just found the Phonitor to be the livelier, more engaging sound overall. That being said, if you're treble sensitive, the V280/VC combo is very smooth sounding. The V280 does not lack for dynamic range, so you're still getting a very dynamic and powerful presentation. I think it comes down to personal preference when choosing. Do you want neutral or slightly warm? To me, that's the biggest difference between the two. If you're looking at those two, also keep an eye on the GSX Mini. A few ears I trust who've heard it liked it more than either the Phonitor or Violectric. I have yet to audition it but it's on my radar.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,532 of 12,549
Has ayone compared/used a Violectric v280 and an SPL Phonitor X with their ZMF’s? If so what are your thoughts on how they compare? Looking for best SS options to pair with a VC and that might add a little warmth
If you're looking for SS, I can't speak highly enough of the Sparkos Aries amp - extremely resolving, incredibly fast, with incredible detail retrieval; at the same time, highly musical and yet not in any sense dry or analytical. Everything I put through it sounds superb. It's @zach915m choice for testing headphones, and that should say everything.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #5,533 of 12,549
Ah, I see. Subjectively, are you enjoying your headphones, and are there characteristics that you are partial too (like tonality, detail retrieval, etc) that you find your VC's doing well. I myself tend to gravitate towards vocal-centric tracks and string instruments. "Song to the siren" and "Orange trees" by Rose Betts are two songs that I have been listening to on a frequent basis and I would be curious as to how they would sound on the VC's. Postmodern Jukebox's "Alone" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" are two tracks I would be curious about as well.
Yes I am enjoying the VCs a bunch. Tonal balance and instrument separation are the biggest things I key in on. I play drums, guitar, bass, and piano so I focus in on those instruments. Listening to the texture, realism, how the accents happen, etc.

Alone by Postmodern Jukebox - Piano panned left is soft and delicate and resonates well. Dynamics are good, definitely a ride up and down through the song. Vibraphone ish instrument panned right just sounded fantastic. Drums satisfy me as a drummer. Bass center not too much body, much more tone than body until 1:30 you start to get some body. Vocals always front center main attention.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Postmodern Jukebox - Bass has more body than Alone. Piano more attack due to the staccato play style I think than Alone. Winds come in a little stronger to me than piano but still supporting the vocals. Vocals again front center no issues.

Song to the Siren by Rose Betts - I'm just following the reverb on her voice and can follow it through swells of the strings. Not hearing any attack on the string since it is just swells the whole time. No issues from me. VC just serving it up nicely.

Orange Trees by Rose Betts - Song sounds great. Hot take, I do not like the mix of this song. Song sounds lack luster 1:28-2:59. The bass at 2:59 saves the song for me, driving the melody is the winner in this song for me. Strings are just tucked behind everything on this track compared to the rest of the tracks above. The vocal emphasized sections are great though. I really enjoy what she does with her voice definitely all smiles, makes me forget about the bad mix (to me).

VC handles this type of music well. Would recommend for sure.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #5,534 of 12,549
They're finally here! I freaked out a bit in my first try because I fitted the (Auteur hybrid) pads incorrectly and was getting a very muffled sound. After fitting the pads correctly, they sound really amazing :beerchug:

IMG_4205.jpg

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,535 of 12,549
If you're looking for SS, I can't speak highly enough of the Sparkos Aries amp - extremely resolving, incredibly fast, with incredible detail retrieval; at the same time, highly musical and yet not in any sense dry or analytical. Everything I put through it sounds superb. It's @zach915m choice for testing headphones, and that should say everything.
Thanks! I hadn't seen that one. Is there an option to get an Aries with a balanced out at all? Or just it just the 1/4"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back