ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,553 of 12,512
Congrats! I to have a pending order with Norne Audio for a headphone cable for my Verite.

1. Yes, ZMF headphones use a mini-xlr connection at the headphone end. The Eidolic rhodium mini-xlr connections are an upgrade vs the standard Eidolic mini-xlr connections(non rhodium)

2. Both Furutech and Eidolic are premium connection brands. This is really all about personal preference. On my order I wanted my 1/4" plug and mini-xlr connections to match so I went with both ends as Eidolic rhodium.

Hope this helps.

Also check out the Norne Audio thread. Tons of useful information and many many happy owners that have alot more knowledge about Norne Audio then I do.

Thanks for the input. Ended up ordering Norne Silver S3 with Eidolic termination....and the waiting game begins now I suppose....

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,554 of 12,512
What wood is that? Nice! Is it LTE with the resin filler?
It was answered like 2 posts below it. Answer below.
The wood is cocobolo, there happened to be one being made in November so I requested to buy it.

Which wood and hardness will render the longest reverb decay and most expansive overall holographic sound stage?
Here is a quote from ZMF's website about wood: " Woods naturally vary in density. Softer woods have longer decay and natural resonance. Harder woods provide more speed and impact. Preference is subjective and personal, we suggest choosing based on aesthetic desires"

Monkeypod (stock wood) is the softest wood offered at this time I believe.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #5,555 of 12,512
Here is a quote from ZMF's website about wood: " Woods naturally vary in density. Softer woods have longer decay and natural resonance. Harder woods provide more speed and impact. Preference is subjective and personal, we suggest choosing based on aesthetic desires"

Monkeypod (stock wood) is the softest wood offered at this time I believe.
There is a lot of good information on the website, spend 30 minutes there and you can get some great info on pads....maintenance...different woods.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #5,557 of 12,512
I see lot of VC owners have TT2 and Mscalar. How does VC pair with Chord stack? The general consensus is to have higher OI with VC but TT2 doesn't have high OI so curious. Does VC loose any of its magic from Chord stack?
I don't have the M-scaler, but the VC is excellent on the TT2, though I prefer using it as a DAC to a tube amp.

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #5,558 of 12,512
So my Wywires Platinum headphone cable showed up yesterday. Been burning it since then. After 10 hours of burn did some initial listening in Auteurs. Largest soundstage of any headphone cable I have tried other than my Mad Scientist Graphene Carnon Fiber. They are comparable. But i get the sense the Platinum us going to beat it. It already has more pace drive and kick. It is more dynamic and maybe slightly more detailed at this point. Images are more life size. Stilll a hair more grain but it's going away. Tonality has more weight and warmth without being particularly warm on balance. Not quite as sweet neutral and liquid...but that may also change. This cable smokes my Old neotech silver gold and may overall be a bit with only minimal break in then my MadSci. Can't wait for 200 plus hours on it. Running it on my tweaked Blackwood Auteurs. Leopardwood Verite Closed arriving tommorrow. Check out the Tara Labs Freebie Cascade burn jn. Probably best out there right now.

Happy listening,

Jgwtriode

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #5,559 of 12,512
So my Wywires Platinum headphone cable showed up yesterday. Been burning it since then. After 10 hours of burn did some initial listening in Auteurs. Largest soundstage of any headphone cable I have tried other than my Mad Scientist Graphene Carnon Fiber. They are comparable. But i get the sense the Platinum us going to beat it. It already has more pace drive and kick. It is more dynamic and maybe slightly more detailed at this point. Images are more life size. Stilll a hair more grain but it's going away. Tonality has more weight and warmth without being particularly warm on balance. Not quite as sweet neutral and liquid...but that may also change. This cable smokes my Old neotech silver gold and may overall be a bit with only minimal break in then my MadSci. Can't wait for 200 plus hours on it. Running it on my tweaked Blackwood Auteurs. Leopardwood Verite Closed arriving tommorrow. Check out the Tara Labs Freebie Cascade burn jn. Probably best out there right now.

Happy listening,

Jgwtriode
Cool stuff! Those cables look so thin, it is amazing they can pull off such great performance. Must have something to do with the graphene and I imagine the cable is light weight, and easy to manage?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #5,560 of 12,512
My favorite open back headphones for a decent price are the HIFIMAN HEKse. However, for late night listening I need a closed back. Will I be disappointed by the Verite Closed in terms of treble sparkle detail and wide, deep sound stage compared to the HEKse?

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #5,561 of 12,512
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #5,562 of 12,512
Not for discussion (at least not in a ZMF thread) but as information - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-audio-premium-headphone-cable-review.22457/
Just adding info as well.

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe that cables change things because I have yet to use anything "higher quality" than ZMFs OFC cable, but qualities like imaging, instrument separation, detail, resolution, staging, 3Dedness, holographic, slam etc. have not been or rather are not understood in measurements like frequency response (FR) and THD. Maybe the information is there, and we have yet to extract it or there is no way to measure it other than your own ears.

We should expect what Amir measured, and would probably blow my mind if a copper/silver cable changed the frequency response and THD so close to DC.

The same thing applies to dacs, amps, and headphones. We will see flat FR on measured dacs with certain chips or topologies may lean warm or bright but the FR is indeed flat. Class A SS amps usually sound different than non-Class A SS amps but both will measure flat FR. Headphones we see the most measurements so we should already know this if you compared just a FR of Focals Elex, Clear, and Utopia, then you would see they all relatively "sound the same" solely based on the FR. But, we know that is not true with respect to other qualities mentioned above. So those characteristics to the sound, again, are not measurable or we don't understand how to get the information out.
10043027.jpg
10043032.jpg

Measurements are good. But if we don't understand what they tell us, and conversely what they don't tell us, then we do ourselves a disservice to rule them (amps, dacs, headphones, cables) out without listening to them.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #5,563 of 12,512
Don't go by what others say...get a good cable yourself and try it in your system if you have deep pocket. Every manufacturer has return policy. Personally I only have positive things to say for good cable and sonic changes that they bring, right from good power cable to pigtail.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,564 of 12,512
Cool stuff! Those cables look so thin, it is amazing they can pull off such great performance. Must have something to do with the graphene and I imagine the cable is light weight, and easy to manage?
No the graphene reduces the noise floor according to Alex. The performance is in the Litz. 80+ very fine seperately insulated conductors in a unique geometry. They are thin but the stuff works. Yeah it is quite and fairly flexible. A fairly unassuming cable to look at. But when you hear it, all that goes out the window!

Happy listening,,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #5,565 of 12,512
My favorite open back headphones for a decent price are the HIFIMAN HEKse. However, for late night listening I need a closed back. Will I be disappointed by the Verite Closed in terms of treble sparkle detail and wide, deep sound stage compared to the HEKse?

The HEKse is my current favorite open-back as well (without having heard the Susvara). I don't think you'll be disappointed in terms of detail and resolution, but wide/deep soundstage you definitely will not get. The VC certainly has better soundstage than many other closed-backs, but I would describe it as more "3D" than wide and deep. The closed-back nature still limits the total dimensions of the soundstage, whereas the HEKse is very very open, in fact one of the leakiest open-backs I've owned except the Raal SR1a.

Whatever closed-back headphone you get, you may just have to sacrifice that expectation to get a very open soundstage; it just isn't possible by physical design IMO. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like my IEM (QDC Anole VX) has a surprisingly good soundstage, though that may be more from some binaural wizardry. You may want to experiment with some IEMs. I was very surprised after initially writing IEMs off, thinking they couldn't compare to larger over-ear headphones. I am also curious about the HD820 soundstage, despite some poor reviews of the tuning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back