ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #5,341 of 12,522
Mainly a Pendant SE when in the mood for tubes, and a Phonitor E for when in the mood for solid state. Then Pendant is used about 75% of the time, if not more.
Nice! I’m shopping for a tube amp. Currently looking into the cayin cs-55a or Mcintosh mha200. Can anyone with more knowledge help point me towards the other? Pendant SE looks interesting.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #5,342 of 12,522
Nice! I’m shopping for a tube amp. Currently looking into the cayin cs-55a or Mcintosh mha200. Can anyone with more knowledge help point me towards the other? Pendant SE looks interesting.
Worth a look would be any of the Feliks amps, the Decware CPS3 (the older CPS2 also sounds great), DNA amps (Donald North Audio), and pretty much any of the Ampsandsound amps. Lastly, the venerable Bottlehead Crack w/speedball is also a really fun amp with ZMF. Those are the ones I have experience with.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #5,343 of 12,522
Yesterday, I got to hear my VC with a Primaluna EVO 400 paired with the EVO 100 tube DAC. It was literally the best thing I've ever heard come out of a headphone. It was 3D and holographic sound that was outside of my head an all around me. The owner of the Hifi shop said that the EVO 100 headphone Amp comes close to that presentation. IF it does, I am going to buy it. But, I first want to hear the ZMF Pendant SE to see if it has the same effect. It was so good that I can't stop thinking about it.

As an aside, I did get to audition the Chord Hugo TT2 and M Scaler. The VC did not sound good with them, but it did sound great with all of my IEMs. It really gave me an appreciation for how well my IEMs scale up.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #5,344 of 12,522
What amp is everyone using?
FiiO M15> Topping D70 > La Figaro 339i > ZMF VC (Rock/EDM/Hip Hop/Etc.)
> SPL Phonitor Xe > Focal Utopias (Classic/Folk/Jazz)

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #5,345 of 12,522
The McIntosh looks interesting, but I dont think its even out yet. I have one of their vintage solid state receivers from the 1970s. If the new amp sticks with the MAC house sound, then it will have bass for days, with a warm-ish sound.

Ive heard a lot of good things about the Pendant, and im supposed to get a loaner from ZMF for review purposes, where I would bounce it off of my Glenn.

PSA: For those wanting to get into a tube amp and are on a budget, the La Figaro 339i went live on Drop today. I used to own one...warm ( tubes used play a large part ) sound, only 4 sockets so its a good amp for tube noobs. Very nice amp for the $

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #5,346 of 12,522
What amp is everyone using?
Currently using a Rogue Audio RH-5 and have a Pendant SE on the way. The RH-5 drives them to perfection, and I can't wait to hear the Pendant SE.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #5,347 of 12,522
The McIntosh looks interesting, but I dont think its even out yet. I have one of their vintage solid state receivers from the 1970s. If the new amp sticks with the MAC house sound, then it will have bass for days, with a warm-ish sound.

Ive heard a lot of good things about the Pendant, and im supposed to get a loaner from ZMF for review purposes, where I would bounce it off of my Glenn.

PSA: For those wanting to get into a tube amp and are on a budget, the La Figaro 339i went live on Drop today. I used to own one...warm ( tubes used play a large part ) sound, only 4 sockets so its a good amp for tube noobs. Very nice amp for the $
I am looking forward to that comparison with the Pendant SE and your Glenn.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,349 of 12,522
Currently using a Lyr 3 from a Bifrost 2, or an iFi Micro BL. Haven't tried anything fancier and am afraid to expand my horizons too much. Plan on building a Bottlehead crack later this year which will be my first non-hybrid tube amp.
Debating between bitfrost 2 and topping d90. How did you decide?

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #5,350 of 12,522
Debating between bitfrost 2 and topping d90. How did you decide?
I wanted to try R2R and Schiit had b-stock at the time. Plus it stacks so nicely with the Lyr 3 which I already had. And what's the point if it's not aesthetic? Honestly I would still like to try a D90 or similar for comparison, but I have been quite happy with the Bifrost 2 so I haven't had upgrade-itis in a while.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #5,351 of 12,522
As an aside, I did get to audition the Chord Hugo TT2 and M Scaler. The VC did not sound good with them, but it did sound great with all of my IEMs. It really gave me an appreciation for how well my IEMs scale up.
I have the HMS/TT2 and also have the VC and a tube amp (probably A&S Mogwai SE) on my radar. Did you audition using the TT2's HP amp or as DAC connected to another amp?

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #5,352 of 12,522
I have the HMS/TT2 and also have the VC and a tube amp (probably A&S Mogwai SE) on my radar. Did you audition using the TT2's HP amp or as DAC connected to another amp?
VC direct to TT2. It will probably work if I EQ it, but I couldn’t on the set up because it was in a hifi store

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5,353 of 12,522
VC direct to TT2. It will probably work if I EQ it, but I couldn’t on the set up because it was in a hifi store
Thanks. From what I've read, it does seem that the VC will be best served by a tube amp partner. I'm primarily looking to get the VC for classic rock and blues listening. I have the SR1a and LCD-4 now with the 1266 TC coming in but I get the sense these are just a little too analytical, clear, pristine and transparent for these genres. They are great for classical, jazz, acoustic, and electronic but I think I want qualities like grit, warmth, balls, juice, smoky, grind, bite and other such intangibles added for rock/blues, if you get my drift. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #5,354 of 12,522
Well. . .it is now 3:30am and I am still up listening with my new to me Verite C. :astonished: I might as well stay up, keep listening, and then go to work, and it is going to be hard to leave my babies for 8 hours. I freakin love these headphones and they have taken me on a journey through my playlist this evening and early morning, like never before. Listening to the VC on this setup, really is like hearing everything for the first time and I just can't get enough (hence the all nighter). :wink:

The imaging and speed of these drivers combined with spot on tonality and timbre is stunning. The 3D effect is killer, and I am transported to the venue, with a great sense of the space.
Reading this I am almost tempted to buy the Verite C without even hearing them. It’s driving me crazy...at the end of April I am getting a them to test for 4 days from my a dealer who is about 700km away. The sensible guy in me is saying “wait until you’ve tried them before you order some new ones” but the little boy in me, who has to read all of your comments, is saying “what are you waiting for“.
(I currently have Roon->Chord 2Go Hugo2->Ether-C Flow 1.1)

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #5,355 of 12,522
Reading this I am almost tempted to buy the Verite C without even hearing them. It’s driving me crazy...at the end of April I am getting a them to test for 4 days from my a dealer who is about 700km away. The sensible guy in me is saying “wait until you’ve tried them before you order some new ones” but the little boy in me, who has to read all of your comments, is saying “what are you waiting for“.
(I currently have Roon->Chord 2Go Hugo2->Ether-C Flow 1.1)
Sorry for making your wait a little harder. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back