ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 25, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #5,266 of 12,488
The DT880 holds the record for shortest time a headphone has lasted in my collection. I plugged it into my Glenn, listened to it for less than one minute, unplugged it, handed it to my stepson and never looked back. He uses the DT880 for practicing guitar.

A friend, who is in the high end audio business, refers to cable mfgs as being in the money printing business.

Hey folks! I have some amazing news and I am so excited to share it. I have been dreaming of owning a pair of VC since they were first released, and I finally have a pair on the way. I should have them by next week, and I am so excited that I don't know what to do with myself! :smile:

Lovely. Congrats dude!
Congratulations on the VC’s.
Funny I listened to the DT880’s back when I was in college and spent a bit more to get the HD600, the DT didn’t make it past the demo wall in J&R Music in NYC.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #5,267 of 12,488
Mar 25, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #5,268 of 12,488
I have been dreaming this week of a higher end headphone system that looks a lot like yours. Chord Mscaler, Chord Hugo TT2 and either a ZMF Pendant tube amp or another Ampsandsound tube amp like a Mogwai. Can you share your experience with these products for configuring it for optimal future proofing? In other words, I'd like to enable it to drive full sized speakers like you have. Plus, I'd like to be able to drive other high end headphones like Hifiman Susvara or Focal Utopias along with my ZMF VC and HD800S. TY.
I use my m scaler with Dave with Pendant for my VC, LCD 4. The Pendant is a newer edition so haven’t pulled out my Utopia or HD800S in a while, probably should. I’ve preferred the LCD4 and Stellia then VC’s sound signature more recently. I will say the Pendant does not match up that well with my Stellia’s, there’s definitely a little background hum. But the Stellia’s are low ohm and very efficient, so they run right out of the Dave well. I also use the m scaler and Dave for my two channel set up, B&W Nautilus(older predate diamond tweeters) and that DAC has worked amazing with them for years now. I thought of trying another DAC since I’ve had it for a while but adding the m scaler a bit ago really makes it amazing again. Chord makes some great DACs, I’ll probably not replace it until the Dave 2 comes along. I’ve had the Dave for 5-6 years now.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,273 of 12,488
@YtseJamer Any input on how the hybrids (Universe and Auteur) change the sound from their respective Lambskin varieties?

Unfortunately I never tried the Universe Lambskin pads, so I will not be able to compare them with the Universe Hybrid pads. To my ears, the VC lack a little bit of engagement and forwardness with the Auteur Lambskin pads, and on my setup the sound was slightly bright with a bit of harshness in the upper-mids. With the Universe Hybrid pads the sound is more forward, punchy, engaging and I have never had any issues with the mids and the treble.

Now regarding the Auteur Lambskin pads vs the Auteur Hybrid pads, the sound is obviously a bit similar, but I never noticed all the things that I don't like about the Auteur Lambskin pads with the Hybrid version. So you are getting all the benefits from the Auteur Lambskin pads (Wider soundstage, more presence, better treble) mixed with some of the qualities of the Universe Hybrid pads. I would say that the Auteur Hybrid pads sit right in-between the Universe Hybrid pads and the Auteur Lambskin pads.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #5,274 of 12,488
The Auteur hybrid pads shave off just a little bit of the high end and enhances the mids a little more. I find it to be the best of both worlds as well like @YtseJamer. These, to me, add a little more mid bass as well while maintaining the same 3d airy soundspace of the lambskin version. I have not tried the universe hybrids myself, would love to though.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #5,275 of 12,488
I may need to order some Verite pads in suede.
They actually don't sell them, just BE-2 in suede. Perhaps because the suede pushes toward neutral which would be the main difference between leather BE-2 and leather Verite, such that a suede Verite would be too much? There must be some reason. I'm just happy they have suede BE-2 in perf and solid versions.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,276 of 12,488
I have been dreaming this week of a higher end headphone system that looks a lot like yours. Chord Mscaler, Chord Hugo TT2 and either a ZMF Pendant tube amp or another Ampsandsound tube amp like a Mogwai. Can you share your experience with these products for configuring it for optimal future proofing? In other words, I'd like to enable it to drive full sized speakers like you have. Plus, I'd like to be able to drive other high end headphones like Hifiman Susvara or Focal Utopias along with my ZMF VC and HD800S. TY.
I'll let you know when my Pendant SE arrives (connected to TT2). Hopefully they'll eliminate the testing requirement for vaccinated people (like me) for inter-island flights and you can come hear it!

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #5,277 of 12,488
I absolutely love the TT2 with the M-scaler...
In the last couple of years I have been on a quest to build the most “live music” sounding headphone system I could. That has led me down many paths ultimately ending with Chord audio gear and the ZMF Vérité closed. Rob Watts post on how to listen to audio gear changed everything for me.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/#post-12457933

I believe Rob is leading the industry in reproducing realistic “live music” audio sound from a digital source. I have owned or tested 26 headphones in the last few years. I’ve had some great experiences but it wasn’t until the ZMF Vérité, Chord dacs and an OTL tube amp that I have come to understand that a headphone system can sound like a live musical event. My current system is nothing short of astounding in accomplishing that. About 40% to 50% of the time I can honestly say that it sounds like I am in a room with live musicians.

The TT2 has an exceptional headphone amp but it is solid-state with very low output Impedance. I don't like it with the VC. I find it to be overdamped with a reduced soundstage. As a matter of fact every headphone I have sounds better out of my Eddy Current but your Susvara will not be driven out of a tube amp. A lot of the people find that using an XLR adapter from the XLR outputs of the TT2 sound great driving headphones and at 18 watts will certainly drive your Susvara. I suspect what is happening, aside from the power increase, is that the XLR outputs have a higher output impedance then the headphone amp and that’s one of the reasons some people prefer the sound.

In my system the benefit of the tube amp is huge in the area of soundstage, realism, holographic imaging and separation. If I were to go with something other than the Eddy Current it would be the new ZMF Pendant SE, that combined with the outputs on the TT2 would give you everything you need for the future. As far as future proofing, everything I’ve read from Rob states pretty clearly that he has maxed out what he can do with the M-scaler and the Dave. His current focus seems to be more on digital amps and the recording side of the industry so there may not be much else coming down the line regarding DACs.

A lot of my equipment is now battery powered to eliminate RFI. A lot of people confuse RFI with high frequency extension and air around instruments both of which are inaccurate representations of musical instruments. In switching to battery power everything smoothed out, warmed up and became substantially more realistic.

My entire system started with the vérité closed and everything has been built around that headphone. As I have upgraded my system the ZMF Vérité have scaled magnificently.

As far as driving my Martin Logan ethos speakers, I have just re-purchased the Red Dragon S-500 amp. That amp is one of the few unicorns I’ve ever found in this hobby and it is the only piece of audio gear that I have ever sold, regretted selling and re-purchased. I run the RCA out of the TT2 to the Eddy Current and the Vérité and the Balanced out to the Red Dragon and the Martin Logan‘s.

I don’t want to get too far off topic so if you do end up purchasing the M-scaler and the TT2 or if you have any other questions please feel free to DM me as I have learned quite a bit and can help you get the most out of them.

Arlan

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #5,278 of 12,488
I absolutely love the TT2 with the M-scaler...
In the last couple of years I have been on a quest to build the most “live music” sounding headphone system I could. That has led me down many paths ultimately ending with Chord audio gear and the ZMF Vérité closed. Rob Watts post on how to listen to audio gear changed everything for me.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/#post-12457933

I believe Rob is leading the industry in reproducing a realistic “live music” audio sound from a digital source. I have owned or tested 26 headphones in the last few years. I’ve had some great experiences but it wasn’t until the ZMF Vérité, Chord dacs and an OTL tube amp that I have come to understand that a headphone system can sound like a live musical event. My current system is nothing short of astounding in accomplishing that. About 40% to 50% of the time I can honestly say that it sounds like I am in a room with live musicians.

The TT2 has an exceptional headphone amp but it is solid-state with very low output Impedance. I don't like it with the VC. I find it to be overdamped with a reduced soundstage. As a matter of fact every headphone I have sounds better out of my Eddy Current but your Susvara will not be driven out of a tube amp. A lot of the people find that using an XLR adapter from the XLR outputs of the TT2 sound great driving headphones and at 18 watts will certainly drive your Susvara. I suspect what is happening is that the XLR outputs have a higher output impedance then the headphone amp and that’s one of the reasons some people prefer the sound.

In my system the benefit of the tube amp is huge in the area of soundstage, realism, holographic imaging and separation. If I were to go with something other than the Eddy Current it would be the new ZMF Pendant SE, that combined with the outputs on the TT2 would give you everything you need for the future. As far as future proofing, everything I’ve read from Rob states pretty clearly that he has maxed out what he can do with the M-scaler and the Dave. His current focus seems to be more on digital amps and the recording side of the industry so there may not be much else coming down the line regarding DACs.

A lot of my equipment is now battery powered to eliminate RFI. A lot of people confuse RFI with high frequency extension and air around instruments both of which are inaccurate representations of musical instruments. In switching to battery power everything smoothed out, warmed up and became substantially more realistic.

My entire system started with the vérité closed and everything has been built around that headphone. As I have upgraded my system the ZMF Vérité have scaled magnificently.

As far as driving my Martin Logan ethos speakers, I have just re-purchased the Red Dragon S-500 amp. That amp is one of the few unicorns I’ve ever found in this hobby and it is the only piece of audio gear that I have ever sold, regretted selling and re-purchased. I run the RCA out of the TT2 to the Eddy Current and the Vérité and the Balanced out to the Red Dragon and the Martin Logan‘s.

I don’t want to get too far off topic so if you do end up purchasing the M-scaler and the TT2 or if you have any other questions please feel free to DM me as I have learned quite a bit and can help you get the most out of them.

Arlan
As a Chord HMS and TT2 owner eyeing the ZMF VC sometime down the road, this is very helpful info. Thanks!

Currently, I own the SR1a, LCD-4, HD800S and will receive the 1266 TC in about a week. I've had extensive time with the Susvara although I decided to opt for the TC. I've also owned the LCD-3 in the past. The ZMF VC will very likely become my next headphone and it really does seem that a tube amp partner will need to come with it based on all the information I've been absorbing.

I have a very strong feeling that the ZMF VC will fit in nicely and be complementary to what I have. I mainly listen to classical, jazz, acoustic, and electronic so what I have now are virtually perfect for my current rig but I also love rock, blues and metal and I find what I have is a little too detailed, analytical and resolving for such genres. I'm hoping that the ZMF VC and a matching tube partner will fill that "void", so to speak.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #5,279 of 12,488
As a Chord HMS and TT2 owner eyeing the ZMF VC sometime down the road, this is very helpful info. Thanks!

Currently, I own the SR1a, LCD-4, HD800S and will receive the 1266 TC in about a week. I've had extensive time with the Susvara although I decided to opt for the TC. I've also owned the LCD-3 in the past. The ZMF VC will very likely become my next headphone and it really does seem that a tube amp partner will need come with it based on all the information I've been absorbing.

I have a very strong feeling that the ZMF VC will fit in nicely and be complementary to what I have. I mainly listen to classical, jazz, acoustic, and electronic so what I have now are virtually perfect for my current rig but I also love rock, blues and metal and I find what I have is a little too detailed, analytical and resolving for such genres. I'm hoping that the ZMF VC and a matching tube partner will fill that "void", so to speak.
I think you will really enjoy them! The combination of the HMS, TT2 and tube amp is creating a sound like nothing I’ve ever heard before. It’s difficult to describe, like real instruments coming out of the black vacuum of space and from all directions. One of the most amazing things I have heard is Muddy Waters Folk singer. I am literally sitting in a room with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Clifton James and Willie Dixon. It is an extraordinary experience...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #5,280 of 12,488
I think you will really enjoy them! The combination of the HMS, TT2 and tube amp is creating a sound like nothing I’ve ever heard before. It’s difficult to describe, like real instruments coming out of the black vacuum of space and from all directions. One of the most amazing things I have heard is Muddy Waters Folk singer. I am literally sitting in a room with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Clifton James and Willie Dixon. It is an extraordinary experience...
Oh, man... My ears are salivating down the neck reading this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :L3000: I love Muddy Waters and the blues masters in the same way I love Miles in jazz and Beethoven in classical. But having been a guitar player myself for 40+ years, I know that only tube amps will do for a certain sound. Please, no more before I start incurring even more debts! :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back