ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #4,741 of 12,512
@HiFiHawaii808 I'm curious how the measurements vs listening impression has gone for you; I wonder if your experience with the VC has adjusted how you looked at buying headphones at all?
Good question. I learn something new every day as I am relatively new to the world of audiophiles, so I may be changing my opinions more than I will in a few years. I believe that frequency response is the most important determinant of how a pair of headphones sounds. However, there are very fine nuances that I am just learning about and I won't have my own preferences fully understood until I experiment over 1000s of hours more. I experimented with EQ where I tuned the VCs and my HD800S to the exact same curve. They sounded amazingly similar. Too similar as to be boring. When I A/B tested the VCs, the EQed version sounded more balanced to me. But, I felt like I lost the ZMF sound. Then, I turned off all EQ and just played it with the stock pads and I preferred that sound over my EQed version.

So, what is my process for selecting a headphone in the first place? I read a lot and wait until I see something that intrigues me. I read reviews to see what experts say. I take what I've learned about what I like and try to triangulate to see if I will like it. Then, I find a way to hear something for myself. I either audition them in a store or I purchase something that I will sell if it doesn't work out and the cost is the cost of learning. My goal is to try everything so that I can figure out exactly what I like and how everything else related to that. So, have I changed how I select a headphone? I guess not. I use a somewhat systematic approach that leads me to a greater understanding of my own preferences and the frequency response curve is one of the key data points that helps me compare everything I hear to everything else.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #4,742 of 12,512
We have a local head-fi meet in Sydney this Sat and our Australian ZMF representative (Hugo) is bringing all the ZMF headphones except the Atticus for everyone to sample. All kinds of amps and dacs are there too.

I'll sample Verite Close and Auteur this time. Want to give it a good listen. I think Auteur might interest me. Might give the Eikon and Verite Open a listen again... it's been a while.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #4,743 of 12,512
@HiFiHawaii808 I'm curious how the measurements vs listening impression has gone for you; I wonder if your experience with the VC has adjusted how you looked at buying headphones at all?
Check out the Parametric EQ settings I used for the ZMF VCs

Preamp: -7.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 39 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.14
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 107 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 1.14
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 338 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 1.15
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1662 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 2.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3960 Hz Gain 6.7 dB Q 3.11
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 937 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 5.60
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2725 Hz Gain -6.3 dB Q 5.97
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3033 Hz Gain 3.9 dB Q 3.56
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 5823 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 7.14
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 10065 Hz Gain 2.8 dB Q 4.10

That is some wild settings. After I did this, the VCs sounded great, but almost exactly like my HD800S. I'd like to decompose what is going on in sound to understand why this works. I don't have the tuning chops to fully understand what is going on. But, it is unusual. I can only account for it as the ZMF sound that so many love. Now, I've heard it myself and I like it too. Not sure if that's an objective judgement or I have been brainwashed.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #4,744 of 12,512
@ProfFalkin - just checked your last FM link in your bio - you've been listening to some good stuff!

Here's a track that reminds me of Tab Benoit "Medicine," by the Steel Woods, I LOVE Tab Benoit BTW.

People often ask me what I listen to when tuning a headphone - and there's tons of music/genre's that I test headphones with that I also enjoy - but when I'm kicking back and trying not to perseverate over headphone tuning (it's hard) I listen to stuff like this. I know @whirlwind approves!

And just BC I can't help myself and your Last.FM profile made me thick of this one:

I'll stop now...!

Great stuff! Both bands are added to my "to get list" :)
I love Tab Benoit also, great player with a great voice.
A friend here on head-fi has recently turned me on to Chris Stapleton, who I thought was just a country musician.
Turns out I was very wrong as the blues influences here run deep.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #4,745 of 12,512
Great idea. Can someone get motivated and create this thread into existence, and then link to all of the various ZMF threads? Many of us would be eternally grateful.

Im a cable believer, but Ive been around long enough to know to keep my mouth shut. I dont need the drama and name calling in my life.

There are four things I do not discuss on Head fi

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. what is "real" heavy metal
4. cables (unless im in a dedicated cable thread)

Ha! You are a wise man :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I love The Steel Woods. They tour often with Blackberry Smoke, one of my fav bands.

@zach915m we really need to discuss bluegrass at some point. I'd like to delve deeper

I would also like to discuss bluegrass sometime....maybe just a recommendation from Zach for a couple of albums that may get someone "hooked"

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,746 of 12,512
I've had these beauties for a week now. First impressions have me very excited. Most of the cans that have similar resolution don't have the type of tonality that I enjoy. It's nice to not have to EQ some sub-bass after a first listen. The cup reverb can be quite addicting too.

th9MVnX.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,747 of 12,512
[Q
I've had these beauties for a week now. First impressions have me very excited. Most of the cans that have similar resolution don't have the type of tonality that I enjoy. It's nice to not have to EQ some sub-bass after a first listen. The cup reverb can be quite addicting too.

th9MVnX.jpg
Beautiful set! love the pattern on the Salire too...congrats!

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #4,749 of 12,512
Ha! You are a wise man :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would also like to discuss bluegrass sometime....maybe just a recommendation from Zach for a couple of albums that may get someone "hooked"

I recently got into progressive bluegrass stuff. I highly recommend all of the works from Punch Brothers (chris thile) and really anything of Chris Thile is amazing.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,750 of 12,512
+1 for the Punch Brothers! I have a bit of a thing for double bass though so I might be a bit biased.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #4,751 of 12,512
Double bass you say? I posted this yesterday in Auteur thread. The bass sounds amazing on Auteur and from what i gather VC close is even more bass capable. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,752 of 12,512
How many people here have stabilized woods? I'd actually be very curious to see them in everyday ordinary settings without attempts at fancy photography hanging on a tree branch over the ocean

Great stuff! Both bands are added to my "to get list" :)
I love Tab Benoit also, great player with a great voice.
A friend here on head-fi has recently turned me on to Chris Stapleton, who I thought was just a country musician.
Turns out I was very wrong as the blues influences here run deep.

Chris Stapleton's voice is incredible. There was too much "just country music" on his release last year for me to love it all, but the rasp he pulls off on this more blues/soul track blows me away:

Speaking of bluegrass, Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson are the two "country for people that don't like country" artists hipsters like to say are saving the industry. Sturgill recently released 2 bluegrass reworks of some of his best songs, both called "Cutting Grass," and Vol. 2 of that may be my favorite thing he's done. Zach might like this one for all the well-recorded natural timbre:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back