ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #4,771 of 12,527
Hey all, wanted someone's opinion. I have an Audeze LCD-4 and am looking for a warm/musical closed back. I was considering the Verite closed back or just getting another Audeze like the LCD-2c or LCD-Xc. As I really love the bass and speed of a planar driver, would the Verite be something that I would enjoy? Anyone had both sets of cans and can compare them?
Obviously, it would be best if you can try before you buy. :) But I would say probably the VC. It is warm and musical. More musical than the XC imo, which to me is also great but more analytical.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #4,773 of 12,527
Hey all, wanted someone's opinion. I have an Audeze LCD-4 and am looking for a warm/musical closed back. I was considering the Verite closed back or just getting another Audeze like the LCD-2c or LCD-Xc. As I really love the bass and speed of a planar driver, would the Verite be something that I would enjoy? Anyone had both sets of cans and can compare them?
I think it depends upon the rest of your system, especially what amp you're using.
Although I'd like to have a good planar headphone in my collection again, my system is built for high impedance dynamic driver headphones, like ZMF. My Glenn OTL can drive most planars with the right tubes in place, but it really isnt meant to do so.

If you have a nice amp, then I would absolutely suggest the VC.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,774 of 12,527
I think it depends upon the rest of your system, especially what amp you're using.
Although I'd like to have a good planar headphone in my collection again, my system is built for high impedance dynamic driver headphones, like ZMF. My Glenn OTL can drive most planars with the right tubes in place, but it really isnt meant to do so.

If you have a nice amp, then I would absolutely suggest the VC.

My rig is Ifi Pro DSD (using as dedicated dac) going into an Ifi Pro Ican. They are balanced hybid switchable solid state or tube..I think I may give the VC a try, especially when the new stabilized woods are released..

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #4,775 of 12,527
Think Aeolus or Atticus, as they seem to be more on the warm and musical side compared to the Verites that (from what I understand) ere neutral and musical.
For reference, when I had the Atticus, I found it darker and more bloomy in the midrange than my LCD3. The LCD4 in combination with an Atticus or Aeolus would probably be deadly, especially given that you have the iDSD.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #4,777 of 12,527
NIce review.

For me, I am a Sennheiser guy. I own the HD600/650/800S. These headphones are definitely different. The term Euphonic is the word I hear most often used in describing the ZMF house sound. I would add that it is rich and full bodied. When you A/B test them against the HD800S and HD600s for instance, the first thing you will notice is their clarity. The ZMF VC are full bodied and rich vs. clear and transparent. Both are great. Just different.

I think this Jazz album "A Time for Love" by Bill Watrous is really great for showing off the ZMF house sound. It's well recorded and mixed. Has instrumentation conducive to the ZMF euphonic sound signature. You can hear the details and separation of the piano, bass, drums and other supporting instruments along with Bill Watrous' sonorous trombone playing all wrapped in a blanket of warmth. Timbre as the instruments sound in real life. Everyone with their own place in the sound stage and highly detailed. If you love the ZMF sound, you may fall in love with this album. If you love this album, you may fall in love with these headphones.

This is what a great Jazz club sounds and feels like.

Just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed this album. Very well recorded.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #4,778 of 12,527
I got the Universe hybrids today, and I'm really liking them. @YtseJamer was raving about them, and now I get it. The soundstage takes a bit of a hit compared to the Auteurs, but the engagement factor goes up. I've been jamming with these all evening!

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #4,779 of 12,527
I got the Universe hybrids today, and I'm really liking them. @YtseJamer was raving about them, and now I get it. The soundstage takes a bit of a hit compared to the Auteurs, but the engagement factor goes up. I've been jamming with these all evening!

Interesting, hopefully I should get a pair of Universal Hybrid by the end of Feb. Using the Lambskin Universal at the moment after using the Auteur Hybrids for a year at there is definitely more energy all around, the stage might be a bit smaller but it is still very accurate.

From my understanding moving to the Universal Hybrid will increase the 3Dness a bit at the slight cost of overall energy which sounds like a good compromise. Definitely prefer the comfort of the hybrid pads which is pushing me more in that direction.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #4,781 of 12,527
Interesting, hopefully I should get a pair of Universal Hybrid by the end of Feb. Using the Lambskin Universal at the moment after using the Auteur Hybrids for a year at there is definitely more energy all around, the stage might be a bit smaller but it is still very accurate.

From my understanding moving to the Universal Hybrid will increase the 3Dness a bit at the slight cost of overall energy which sounds like a good compromise. Definitely prefer the comfort of the hybrid pads which is pushing me more in that direction.

I need to closely compare the Universe hybrid versus the lambskin, but I'm more impressed with the hybrid than I initially was with the Universe lambskin. I had moments of listening last night which reminded me of my first impressions demoing the Verite Open back in 2019: Visceral and engaging. While I really like the Auteur hybrids, they feel a bit disengaged at times.

The only downside so far is with the shallowness of the pads, my ears tend to touch the baffle a bit. And getting the pads on, even with Zach's tutorial vid, is still a little obnoxious (and I feel like I'm getting fingerprints all over the wood!).

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,783 of 12,527
Any mobile solutions recommended for VC?
The Woo Audio WA8 sounds amazing with the VC’s. It has plenty of drive and authority while being very musical at the same time.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,784 of 12,527
I'm also interested in this. i've read of people using micro idsd black label and signature with these and it looks like their new diablo would have enough juice as well.
My Fiio M15 powers my VCs with no issue or loss of power. TOTL AKM chips too.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,785 of 12,527
Any mobile solutions recommended for VC?
I am absolutely loving my mobile set up for my VCs. I have a Chord Hugo 2 and the R6 2020. The R6 2020 will drive the VC at moderate to low volume and it sounds great. When I need more power, transparency and detail, I connect the R6 2020 to my Hugo 2 via a Hiby coax cable and it delivers. I still prefer my Bottlehead crack and Bifrost 2 for tethered listening, but this transportable/portable solution is fantastic and works for all use cases I have for travel. Before I got the Hiby, I used a BTR5 for walking around. I used my Mojo/Poly for around the house and I used my Hugo 2/2go as one of my desktops. Now, I don't need the BTR5, the Mojo/Poly or the 2go. I may sell them off.

Edited to note that the biggest problem I have now is figuring out a carrying case for my VCs. Everyone mentions a seahorse case. I see them on Amazon, but I don't know what size would work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back