ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,786 of 12,527
I have the idsd signature and it does have plenty of power on normal mode but I don’t like the way it sounds with vc. I think it’s why initially I didn’t like it. It pairs well with my other headphones but it seemed to muddy up the sound on the vc just my opinion though.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,787 of 12,527
I got the Universe hybrids today, and I'm really liking them. @YtseJamer was raving about them, and now I get it. The soundstage takes a bit of a hit compared to the Auteurs, but the engagement factor goes up. I've been jamming with these all evening!

I'm glad to hear that you like the Universe Hybrid pads.

Enjoy the music and don't get hung up on the rabbit trail of never ending equipment upgrades :wink:

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,788 of 12,527
I am absolutely loving my mobile set up for my VCs. I have a Chord Hugo 2 and the R6 2020. The R6 2020 will drive the VC at moderate to low volume and it sounds great. When I need more power, transparency and detail, I connect the R6 2020 to my Hugo 2 via a Hiby coax cable and it delivers. I still prefer my Bottlehead crack and Bifrost 2 for tethered listening, but this transportable/portable solution is fantastic and works for all use cases I have for travel. Before I got the Hiby, I used a BTR5 for walking around. I used my Mojo/Poly for around the house and I used my Hugo 2/2go as one of my desktops. Now, I don't need the BTR5, the Mojo/Poly or the 2go. I may sell them off.

Edited to note that the biggest problem I have now is figuring out a carrying case for my VCs. Everyone mentions a seahorse case. I see them on Amazon, but I don't know what size would work.
The Seahorse 430 case will fit it...just be sure to get the one with foam inserts. Not all have the foam.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,789 of 12,527
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #4,790 of 12,527
Feb 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,791 of 12,527
Any mobile solutions recommended for VC?
I take my VCs on holiday in the Seahorse case and run it from my phone with a Mojo. Not as good as my Gumby/Mjolnir 2 but still pretty damn good.

I need to closely compare the Universe hybrid versus the lambskin, but I'm more impressed with the hybrid than I initially was with the Universe lambskin. I had moments of listening last night which reminded me of my first impressions demoing the Verite Open back in 2019: Visceral and engaging. While I really like the Auteur hybrids, they feel a bit disengaged at times.

The only downside so far is with the shallowness of the pads, my ears tend to touch the baffle a bit. And getting the pads on, even with Zach's tutorial vid, is still a little obnoxious (and I feel like I'm getting fingerprints all over the wood!).
I am surprised you find that with the Universal pads, I found they are quite deep. I have been told by several people I have very small ears though... :grin:

I wouldn't worry about the wood though, the finish is pretty tough and fingerprint will wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #4,792 of 12,527
The Woo Audio WA8 sounds amazing with the VC’s. It has plenty of drive and authority while being very musical at the same time.

Man, yeah I bet that sounds great, take the tube sound with you

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #4,794 of 12,527
I take my VCs on holiday in the Seahorse case and run it from my phone with a Mojo. Not as good as my Gumby/Mjolnir 2 but still pretty damn good.

I am thinking of getting myself I used Mojo here on the B/S/T forums this summer....they seem to pop up now and then as people move on or upgrade.
I sure would not mind getting my VC to the porch on some spring/summer/fall... nights.

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,796 of 12,527
Dude - you take holidays? Sooooo retro 2019! #iwantaholiday

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #4,797 of 12,527
Dude - you take holidays? Sooooo retro 2019! #iwantaholiday

It has been a while although we were lucky...

Went to Cornwall February last year before the schiit hit the fan. Managed to get to the Peak District in October last year as well but we stayed in a cottage in the middle of nowhere and stayed the hell away from everyone. Might have been a bit OTT but we even took Clinell wipes and wiped down the whole house on arrival and as we left. Better safe than sorry right?

Honestly, I basically never go on holiday outside the UK anyway so international travel restrictions don't bother me much.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,798 of 12,527
The Woo Audio WA8 sounds amazing with the VC’s. It has plenty of drive and authority while being very musical at the same time.

Always wondered what the WA8 sounds like. How close does it come to a desktop tube amp and is it something you could use in a plane or hotel when traveling?

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,799 of 12,527
Always wondered what the WA8 sounds like. How close does it come to a desktop tube amp and is it something you could use in a plane or hotel when traveling?
I've only heard it a handful of times at shows, but it's a damn engaging amp IMO. (Edit: it does seem really powerfull, I heard it with a Utopia of all things and was quite surprised how listenable it is) If I was downsizing or looking for a transportable (not portable) solution, that would be a serious contender for me.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,800 of 12,527
Hey all, wanted someone's opinion. I have an Audeze LCD-4 and am looking for a warm/musical closed back. I was considering the Verite closed back or just getting another Audeze like the LCD-2c or LCD-Xc. As I really love the bass and speed of a planar driver, would the Verite be something that I would enjoy? Anyone had both sets of cans and can compare them?

LCD-4 was my favorite thing I'd ever heard by far until getting the VC. I might have kept it if not for the price and warranty worries. It's been too long for me to make detailed comparisons. But honestly I think these kinds of comparisons are too confounded by the fact that we have differently shaped ear canals, different tastes in music, different volume levels, and so on to be as useful as anyone wants to think they are anyway (nevermind that terms like speed and soundstage don't have rigorous definitions). I'm also happy enough now to stop listening to gear and focus on listening to music again. What I can say is the VC didn't click with me immediately, but now it's the only headphone I use (for hours every single day) and I've sold the LCD-4. The VC is deceptive IMO at not blowing you away with some exaggerated trait right off the bat, but just being lowkey perfect for everything and that being something you come to appreciate more and more over time.

I liked with the LCD-4 how much I could crank guitars on extreme metal or hear the rhythm section clearly in jazz without shrieking vocals or loud sax sounds (cough, Pharoah Sanders) piercing my ear drums. I've come to realize a lot of my favorite music just hurts and isn't something I'd enjoy much through a lot of music sources :sweat_smile: I used AutoEQ to make an "LCD-4" profile for my VC as an experiment... over time I gradually toned the values on it down until I now have a -1.2dB pre-amp setting that I only switch on occasionally when I'm getting piercing notes here and there on something at the volume I want. Tiny ~1dB cuts around 2.4, 2.7, 5, and 8.3kHz and actually a small boost in the "mudrange" around 200Hz that increases perceived "note thickness."

FWIW though, as much as I loved the LCD-4, and the old Rev. 2 LCD-2 I had, and the LCD-3... the LCD-X's and LCD-2C's I heard all sounded terrible to me. Whatever was going on in the treble there sounded like straight-up malfunction to my ears, like some kind of weird distorted static sound over everything. The fact that I heard this across multiple X's and 2C's convinces me that this is one of their "house sounds" and wasn't a broken pair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back