ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,381 of 12,507
I also always try a bunch of different pads, but none of them fix the response gap flaw. I do not understand why anyone likes this headphone

Hey, if you are still following this thread and if you still have the VC, I highly recommend you to give them one last chance with the Auteur hybrid pads.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #4,382 of 12,507
Hey, if you are still following this thread and if you still have the VC, I highly recommend you to give them one last chance with the Auteur hybrid pads.

I just unloaded some pads so I'm inclined to buy a pair of auteur solid hybrids. Has anyone tried the solid Be2 pads with their VC, either hybrid or lambskin? The Be2 lamb perf pads were my favorite with the VO, I'm curious if the same might be true with the VC. I would probably go for be2 lamb to complement auteur solid hybrid

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #4,383 of 12,507
I've had the VC for 2 months and it's been a great experience. Resolution is excellent as expected, soundstage is expansive for a closed headphone and the timbre is natural. The music sounds very, very present without being shouty or fatiguing at all. I couldn't help but smile during my first listen because familiar music sounded surprisingly different but way better. These headphones still elicit such reaction because they're that good even after I've grown accustomed to the sound over time. The only negative for me is the weight - I can't use these for too long as I get a neck cramp. They're actually quite comfortable (more so than my lighter hd58x) but it's the raw weight that's problematic for me and I'll probably just sell them.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,384 of 12,507
I've had the VC for 2 months and it's been a great experience. Resolution is excellent as expected, soundstage is expansive for a closed headphone and the timbre is natural. The music sounds very, very present without being shouty or fatiguing at all. I couldn't help but smile during my first listen because familiar music sounded surprisingly different but way better. These headphones still elicit such reaction because they're that good even after I've grown accustomed to the sound over time. The only negative for me is the weight - I can't use these for too long as I get a neck cramp. They're actually quite comfortable (more so than my lighter hd58x) but it's the raw weight that's problematic for me and I'll probably just sell them.
Might I ask what type of wood is your vc made of ?

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #4,385 of 12,507
Also, any potential weight issue of the vc or any zmf headphone can be easily remedied by adding a zmf copilot or pilot pads. Imo, zmf headphones are really well balanced with almost perfect weight distribution. The copilot pads can certainly help.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #4,386 of 12,507
Might I ask what type of wood is your vc made of ?
Camphor burl
Also, any potential weight issue of the vc or any zmf headphone can be easily remedied by adding a zmf copilot or pilot pads. Imo, zmf headphones are really well balanced with almost perfect weight distribution. The copilot pads can certainly help.
I can attest that they're well-balanced and comfortable on the head but the weight is causing neck pain

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,387 of 12,507
I just unloaded some pads so I'm inclined to buy a pair of auteur solid hybrids. Has anyone tried the solid Be2 pads with their VC, either hybrid or lambskin? The Be2 lamb perf pads were my favorite with the VO, I'm curious if the same might be true with the VC. I would probably go for be2 lamb to complement auteur solid hybrid
I asked Zach about verite or BE2 pads on VC and I told him I preferred universe suede and verite pads on Aeolus and he told me to try auteur and BE2 pads because verite pads get a little too dry.

So if you liked them on the VO, might be good choice on VC.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,388 of 12,507
Did that thing again last night where I ended up listening to music til 4AM and got caught up in "just one more song." I really can't get enough of how engaging this headphone is. It makes you an active listener and it can be an visceral listen, but it doesn't get fatiguing after hours of listening, which is a feat. It's addictive.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4,389 of 12,507
Did that thing again last night where I ended up listening to music til 4AM and got caught up in "just one more song." I really can't get enough of how engaging this headphone is. It makes you an active listener and it can be an visceral listen, but it doesn't get fatiguing after hours of listening, which is a feat. It's addictive.
Im on the same boat. The VC is so engaging. Its the headphone I listen to the most. Whats more crazy is that sometimes after listening to the VC with my Elise, I turn the Elise off due to heat concerns, but then, I immediately plug the VC in my Gsx-mini for another session. The VC sounds just as good, and different coming from two completely different amps. I think its ZMFs best headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,390 of 12,507
And also, im not trying to brag or sound smug, but i like to think i have a very diverse collection of really good headphones. However, no matter what i listen to, I always come back to the VC at the end of the day. My He1000se is the king of details, hands down. Its more detailed than the VC. My Auteur has better vocals than the VC, imo. My LCD-x has better bass slam than the VC. But the truth is, those headphones are excellent or best at one thing. Either detail, or vocals, or bass. The VC is the complete package. It has everything at just the right amount, based on my taste. Additionally, the camphor burl is just so pleasing to look at, while being light and comfortable. Cant say enough good things about it.

However with all that being said, i dont think my collection would be complete until I get a VO lol

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #4,391 of 12,507
Im on the same boat. The VC is no engaging. Its the headphone I listen to the most. Whats more crazy is that sometimes after listening to the VC with my Elise, I turn the Elise off due to heat concerns, but then, I immediately plug the VC in my Gsx-mini for another session. The VC sounds just as good, and different coming from two completely different amps. I think its ZMFs best headphone.

Same here. I will turn off the GOTL after a few hours, switch over to the V280, and it's just as fun, but in a different way.

I think the VC are capable of more than any single amp can take advantage of. This was something I struggled with initially, as I was trying to get the GOTL to do everything I knew the VC could do, and these headphones are just too capable :smile_phones: .

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4,392 of 12,507
I am looking for a pair of headphones to complement my HD800S. I have a Chord Hugo 2 and Bottlehead Crack amp. I have decided I want a ZMF to be those headphones. I doing my research, I ruled out the ZMF Verites early on due to its rather odd tuning. But, so many reviewers I respect really like them a lot. Can someone help me understand why the Verites are so good given that their Frequency Response curve wouldn't predict it? Crinacle gives the Verite a pretty bad tonality score. I am considering the Aeolus, the Auteur and the Verite Open.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #4,393 of 12,507
I am looking for a pair of headphones to complement my HD800S. I have a Chord Hugo 2 and Bottlehead Crack amp. I have decided I want a ZMF to be those headphones. I doing my research, I ruled out the ZMF Verites early on due to its rather odd tuning. But, so many reviewers I respect really like them a lot. Can someone help me understand why the Verites are so good given that their Frequency Response curve wouldn't predict it? Crinacle gives the Verite a pretty bad tonality score. I am considering the Aeolus, the Auteur and the Verite Open.

From what I understand of Crinicle's method of judgment for his list is to sit down in a store and judge the headphone based on whatever pads are on it with an ifi portable amp for a finite period of time. I totally understand why he does it like this and it makes for a great baseline so that each model gets exactly the same input.

While I think his methods and scales are really important and an invaluable asset to the hifi community, our headphones are simply not meant to be used in the way that he is using them, without pad swapping and amp matching to meet subjective taste. Our headphones definitely are different in use than most of what's out there with the different wood densities, pads and impedance, those unique qualities that aren't a "plug and play" may not be for everyone.

Most people who buy or review our headphones live with them for months and find out whether each model is or isn't for their subjective tastes, and find the merits of the high impedance format and earpad swapping. Whether that leads them to like our headphones or not is up to each person!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,394 of 12,507
If you're ever on Big Island I'd be happy to meet up so you can have a listen. I have them all (almost) accept the Aeolus, which I had. Your DAC-amp setup sounds pretty great and I've enjoyed all my ZMFs even straight out of the Hugo 2.

Short of the Orpheus, the Verite Open were the most amazing headphones I've heard until the Closed anyway. Why are they good? Incredibly detailed, large soundstage but not extreme as the HD800 series. Very full and enveloping sound, certainly far more than the HD 800 SDR I have. I think the Auteur is nearly as good, but quite different and more similar to your 800S than any other ZMF. Given the lower price and your uncertainty about the Verite, I'd recommend the universally loved Aeolus as a first ZMF (though I prefer the rest of the lineup, aside from the Eikon, which I've not heard but will before too long). Alternatively a used Verite Open, as you can almost certainly get what you paid if you quickly want to re-sell them.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,395 of 12,507
If you're ever on Big Island I'd be happy to meet up so you can have a listen. I have them all (almost) accept the Aeolus. Your DAC-amp setup sounds pretty great and I've enjoyed all my ZMFs even straight out of the Hugo 2.

Short of the Orpheus, the Verite Open were the most amazing headphones I've heard until the Closed anyway. Why are they good? Incredibly detailed, large soundstage but not extreme as the HD800 series. Very full and enveloping sound, certainly far more than the HD 800 SDR I have. I think the Auteur is nearly as good, but quite different and more similar to your 800S than any other ZMF. Given the lower price and your uncertainty about the Verite, I'd recommend the universally loved Aeolus as a first ZMF (though I prefer the rest of the lineup, aside from the Eikon, which I've not heard but will before too long). Alternatively a used Verite Open, as you can almost certainly get what you paid if you quickly want to re-sell them.
Thanks for the invite! I am definitely going to take you up on your offer. Once the Big Island waives Covid test for locals, I am flying to see you. I'll bring my BHC as I was travelling with it during the summer on the mainland.

I was leaning toward the Auteur, but I was concerned that it might be too much like the HD800S. I want a complementary set of headphones. I am not that big on the V-shape sound signature which is why I have wondered if the Aeolus would be a good fit for me. Everything I've heard about the Verite Open sounds like it's for me. My only concern is its strange frequency response. I am a huge fan of Crinacle since I think he is a tuning master. I own the Blessing 2 Dusk which are the best tuned IEMs I've ever heard and I own a VE8. And, when I loaded the Crinacle parametric presents into my software equalizer, it turned my HD800S into a great all arounder. I love the whole ZMF concept. When you purchase a ZMF headphone, you get a piece of art. I get that. But, I also want s great headphone that complements what I already own. I think it will because so many people smarter than I am think it is. I just need to hear it for myself and somehow get over my cognitive dissonance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back