ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #4,366 of 12,522
Just got these in today, barely started listening but so far I'm loving the sound on my Modwright Tryst.
verite1.jpg
verite3.jpg
verite2.jpg

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4,368 of 12,522
Very nice color indeed.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,369 of 12,522
Glad to finally join the club :). Granted it’s not one of the brand new stabilized, but this darker stain of camphor burl definitely gives my coco Atticus and coco eikon a run for their money. I may have to list one or both of those.

Interesting to try this after having owned a VO for a year, I honestly figured they would sound quite similar given the shared drivers (and to be honest, I sold my VO because it just could not compete with my Abyss TC setup). To my ears the VC cures quite a bit of the hesitancy I had with the VO - namely it feels more dynamic and punchy. I could see myself keeping these alongside the Abyss as my closed back alternative.

Any pads recommendations beyond lamb auteur and universe solid? I’ve also got some hybrid pads, eikon solid suede and lamb.

Attachments

• 38B7FA21-E562-4E51-B737-D695CE2A0ED7.jpeg
    38B7FA21-E562-4E51-B737-D695CE2A0ED7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 09CAA73E-1E82-4525-A6C4-998F96012ADC.jpeg
    09CAA73E-1E82-4525-A6C4-998F96012ADC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,370 of 12,522
Glad to finally join the club :). Granted it’s not one of the brand new stabilized, but this darker stain of camphor burl definitely gives my coco Atticus and coco eikon a run for their money. I may have to list one or both of those.

Interesting to try this after having owned a VO for a year, I honestly figured they would sound quite similar given the shared drivers (and to be honest, I sold my VO because it just could not compete with my Abyss TC setup). To my ears the VC cures quite a bit of the hesitancy I had with the VO - namely it feels more dynamic and punchy. I could see myself keeping these alongside the Abyss as my closed back alternative.

Any pads recommendations beyond lamb auteur and universe solid? I’ve also got some hybrid pads, eikon solid suede and lamb.

Welcome to the club :wink:

Wow they are beautiful.

Regarding the pads, I have the 2 versions of the Auteur pads and I much prefer the hybrid version. Mostly because of the comfort, but I have also noticed that the mids and treble can be slightly peaky when I'm using the leather version.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #4,371 of 12,522
People talk about various tube amplifiers with the VC. Knowing what great products Zach makes, I'm sure that the Pendant is awesome and would love to hear it some time with the VC. What I don't understand is why I seem to be the only person touting the virtues of the MicroZOTL 2 with these headphones. Have people tried the MicroZOTL 2 with these and not liked it or have they just not tried the MicroZOTL 2 at all with the VC?
I imagine it's more lack of familiarity than anything else...I remember hearing that amp at a meet a while back & enjoying it. At least you found a synergy you really like!!

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #4,372 of 12,522
Got the Auteur Hybrid pads, and WHY aren't these stock?!

The comfort is a step up versus either lambskins, the vocals are more present and tonally correct like the Universes, but it still keeps that deep soundstage and 3D effect of the Auteurs. I'm really enjoying these best of both world-type pads and I don't think I'll be taking them off anytime soon.

Thanks for the recommendations on these!

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #4,373 of 12,522

The comfort is a step up versus either lambskins, the vocals are more present and tonally correct like the Universes, but it still keeps that deep soundstage and 3D effect of the Auteurs. I'm really enjoying these best of both world-type pads and I don't think I'll be taking them off anytime soon.

Thanks for the recommendations on these!

Would you mind posting a photo of the oval size? I’ve got a pair of hybrid solids, I’m trying to figure out if they’re auteur or something else

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4,374 of 12,522
Would you mind posting a photo of the oval size? I’ve got a pair of hybrid solids, I’m trying to figure out if they’re auteur or something else
You can tell by the thickness of the front vs back. The Auteurs are slanted, i.e. considerably thicker at the back end, seen when wearing the headphone. The difference between front and back thickness is very small with the universe pads. I hope I'm expressing myself well enough for you to get my meaning. :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4,375 of 12,522

Hybrids on the bottom, Universe lambskins above.

PXL_20210108_161502550.jpg

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #4,376 of 12,522

I agree with you. I almost sold the VC recently because I was not able to enjoy most of my music when I'm using the Auteur leather pads. With the Auteur leather pads, I can hear a slight harshness in the upper-mids and the treble is also slightly spiky most of the time. (And I'm not talking about albums that are not well mastered/produced.)

I don't know if there is something wrong with my setup, but I had the same issues after swapping different tubes and changing the interconnect cables in between my amp and my DAC. (Tidal exclusive mode → Denafrips Ares II → Liquid Platinum). I got frustrated to the point where I have decided to order a Schiit Bifrost 2 to see if the problem could be related with the Ares II.

In the meantime and since I'm still waiting for delivery of the Bifrost 2, I have decided to give the VC another chance with the Auteur hybrid pads and all the issues that I had with the leather pads have disappeared.

Hence the reason why I also think that the Auteur hybrid pads should be the stock pads for the VC in the future.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #4,377 of 12,522
Hybrids on the bottom, Universe lambskins above.

Thanks guys. I think I may have an Aeolus hybrid pad but not entirely sure. Here are a couple photos of a solid auteur lamb pad (left) against the hybrid pad that I’ve got. The oval looks to be a tad smaller and the front end of the pad is slightly less thick (second photo, the top is the hybrid vs the auteur solid is the bottom pad). Not sure that it really would make a big difference. I’ve also got a Be2 hybrid pad, anybody tried that with the VC?

Attachments

• 76A3B5E3-D370-461A-93C0-30AD94059DE7.jpeg
    76A3B5E3-D370-461A-93C0-30AD94059DE7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4F88FF01-EFBB-467F-957E-9BEA995F90B5.jpeg
    4F88FF01-EFBB-467F-957E-9BEA995F90B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,378 of 12,522
Thanks guys. I think I may have an Aeolus hybrid pad but not entirely sure. Here are a couple photos of a solid auteur lamb pad (left) against the hybrid pad that I’ve got. The oval looks to be a tad smaller and the front end of the pad is slightly less thick (second photo, the top is the hybrid vs the auteur solid is the bottom pad). Not sure that it really would make a big difference. I’ve also got a Be2 hybrid pad, anybody tried that with the VC?

Actually my mistake, the be2 pad is perforated

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,379 of 12,522
A lone Universe pad, hugged by its Auteur brothers... :)

You can see that the Auteurs are thinner at the front.

29B766C3-DEA7-4A1B-BF1F-078F0B8996BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #4,380 of 12,522
Received my Verite Closed a few weeks ago (WOW!)

I got it paired with my Woo WA8 Eclipse and I really enjoy this combination. I’m now wondering if paired with a high impedance amp (OTL / hybrid / SS) will bring a significant stepup vs my the WA8… Anyone have some experience with both the WA8 and high impedance amps?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back