ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #4,351 of 12,463
Verite Closed is finally in the house! I’ll post some impressions once I’ve had a little more time with them. Here they are:F5BA1942-5E63-4F11-AC39-E9241708769D.jpeg84067648-DA38-4FD8-B896-5D027632754A.jpeg

Those are just killer cups....gotta love ZMF's work.
As far as sound goes, I have listened to about 5 or 6 Uriah Heep albums and I have not listened to this band in years, can't even tell you how many years as it has been that long. As good as these headphones look, they match that with their sound.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #4,354 of 12,463
I usually enjoy reading posts different from the usual praise the VC's gets since it sheds a different light on what we already know.

But your post doesn't provide any insight. All these "flaws" you are pointing out are in direct contradictions to what many of us feel about the headphones, and you don't provide any reasoning other than "wonder what is wrong with my hearing/brain"

Come back to us when you have something actually interesting to share.

Edit:
Just saw this on his flair lol.

Okay, snowflake.

Funny the headphone he now calls endgame, he also wrote this about the Raal in that thread:
OK, I'm going to be returning the SR1a next week. Trying to fix the bass issue is a big headache - it goes beyond just eq'ing out the problem. This is unacceptable. I think a lot of the "detail" I was hearing in the bass was distortion.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #4,355 of 12,463
Cayiin N6ii pairs very well with the VCs!

With the Eikon Suedes, the dynamics and transients are wonderful for some late night bedside listening! :beyersmile:

20210106_12143[1154].jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #4,356 of 12,463
I've had the VC for a few months now, I bought them because I wanted a closed-back headphone that sounded open, I like decay so I chose the Monkeypod wood, which is a softer wood that has more open pores in its structure, and the Auteur pads because you know, soundstage. I use them on a daily 6- 8 hours for work and they're definitely overkill if you're using them as background music lol. I remember a few folks here asking how they sounded with the Feliks Echo so here are my 2 cents with my OP amp rolling.

My desktop setup is a Feliks Echo tube amp (black background no hiss or hum, neutral slight warmish and euphonic) and Aune DAC with a Burson Vivid Op amp (a little more dynamics, soundstage, imaging, and micro details). I've also paired the Echo with the Burson Classic Op amp (more body, mid focus, extra smooth and analog sounding) and the Aune stock OP amp (simple clean), I also use a portable THX dac/amp and sounds great with it (sounds like a THX amp), but the Echo with Aune DAC and Burson Vivid Op amp is my preferred choice, in comparison, with the Echo, the VC sound a little more smooth, has slightly more extended dynamic range, layer separation, sounds more airey and picks up a little more micro details that accentuate the "3Dness" or "surround sound" feel than the Burson Classic Op amp or Aune stock. For fun, I had my friend (not at all in the audio scene) blind test and listen to different config in my setup and he prefers the Echo with the Burson Vivid Op amp. Honestly, the VC with the Auteur pads sounds great with solid-state or tubes, I just ordered the hybrid Auteur pads and I could talk more about this but instead here are some pics!
pic01.jpg
pic02.jpg
pic03.jpg

If you're wondering about how big the soundstage is.... it's kinda like wearing a motorcycle helmet and having sound bathing around and decaying in that void, but also for fun, if I want a relaxed presentation, I combine the auteur pads with the universe pads for BIGGER and WIDER soundstage cus im weird like that :p but I lose the charm of what the VC is lol

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #4,357 of 12,463
I've had the VC for a few months now, I bought them because I wanted a closed-back headphone that sounded open, I like decay so I chose the Monkeypod wood, which is a softer wood that has more open pores in its structure, and the Auteur pads because you know, soundstage. I use them on a daily 6- 8 hours for work and they're definitely overkill if you're using them as background music lol. I remember a few folks here asking how they sounded with the Feliks Echo so here are my 2 cents.

My desktop setup is a Feliks Echo tube amp (black background no hiss or hum) and Aune DAC with a Burson Vivid Op amp (a little more dynamics, soundstage, imaging, and micro details). I've also paired the Echo with the Burson Classic Op amp (more mid focus and analog sounding) and the Aune stock OP amp (simple clean), I also use a portable THX dac/amp and sounds great with it, but the Echo with Burson Vivid Op amp is my preferred choice, in comparison, with tubes they sound a little more smooth, has slightly more dynamic range, layer separation, sounds more airey and picks up a little more micro details that accentuate the "3Dness" or "surround sound" feel. For fun, I had my friend (not at all in the audio scene) blind test and listen to different config in my setup and he prefers the Echo with the Burson Vivid. Honestly, the VC with the Auteur pads sounds great with solid-state or tubes, I just ordered the hybrid Auteur pads and I could talk more about this but instead here are some pics!
pic01.jpgpic02.jpgpic03.jpg
also for fun, if I want a relaxed presentation, I combine the auteur pads with the universe pads for BIGGER and WIDER soundstage cus im weird like that :p but I lose the charm of what the VC is lol

Those are gorgeous! Goes to show you don’t need an LTD VC to have a stunning looking headphone. I’m interested to hear which Auteur pad you prefer once you get the hybrid.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,358 of 12,463
I've had the VC for a few months now, I bought them because I wanted a closed-back headphone that sounded open, I like decay so I chose the Monkeypod wood, which is a softer wood that has more open pores in its structure, and the Auteur pads because you know, soundstage. I use them on a daily 6- 8 hours for work and they're definitely overkill if you're using them as background music lol. I remember a few folks here asking how they sounded with the Feliks Echo so here are my 2 cents.

My desktop setup is a Feliks Echo tube amp (black background no hiss or hum) and Aune DAC with a Burson Vivid Op amp (a little more dynamics, soundstage, imaging, and micro details). I've also paired the Echo with the Burson Classic Op amp (more mid focus and analog sounding) and the Aune stock OP amp (simple clean), I also use a portable THX dac/amp and sounds great with it, but the Echo with Burson Vivid Op amp is my preferred choice, in comparison, with tubes they sound a little more smooth, has slightly more dynamic range, layer separation, sounds more airey and picks up a little more micro details that accentuate the "3Dness" or "surround sound" feel. For fun, I had my friend (not at all in the audio scene) blind test and listen to different config in my setup and he prefers the Echo with the Burson Vivid. Honestly, the VC with the Auteur pads sounds great with solid-state or tubes, I just ordered the hybrid Auteur pads and I could talk more about this but instead here are some pics!
If you're wondering about how big the soundstage is.... it's kinda like wearing a motorcycle helmet and having sound bathing around and decaying in that void, but also for fun, if I want a relaxed presentation, I combine the auteur pads with the universe pads for BIGGER and WIDER soundstage cus im weird like that :p but I lose the charm of what the VC is lol
Nice setup! My Echo arrived today and my VC arrives tomorrow. I also ordered the same hybrid pads. I’m very curious to hear your impressions.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,359 of 12,463

Did you have your cable terminated in female mini-xlr to make it modular? Looks clean!

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #4,361 of 12,463
Those are gorgeous! Goes to show you don’t need an LTD VC to have a stunning looking headphone. I’m interested to hear which Auteur pad you prefer once you get the hybrid.
for sure :) I'll post some thoughts when they arrive, for the hybrid Auteur i have a feeling the suede might slightly lean out the sound a bit and give some air but hoping the leather around it will keep the bass and sub-bass, cus i like to pray to the bass gods sometimes and sometimes they deliver

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,362 of 12,463
Did you have your cable terminated in female mini-xlr to make it modular? Looks clean!
i have the new ends with the ZMF Lektrik C copper cable and a 4.4mm pentacon end to an adapter 3.5mm to 1/4 inch (from amazon).....yeah it's more modular and ergonomic and it's better to go balanced to unbalanced, instead of the other way around. My other stock ZMF cable is 4 pin XLR but i hate how "chunky" it looks lol

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #4,363 of 12,463
Nice setup! My Echo arrived today and my VC arrives tomorrow. I also ordered the same hybrid pads. I’m very curious to hear your impressions.
get ready for late long night listening sessions, it's gonna be awesome! I'm not sure what DAC you have but I kinda have a weird DAC OP amp rolling setup where it's more consistent than tube rolling sometimes. I try to buy gear that supports the "3dness" surround sound, generally, the Feliks Echo will provide a little more smoothness, the soundstage doesn't get any wider with the VC because it's still a closed-back headphone. What your paying for, with the Auteur pads is just a little bit more Air in layer separation, decay, and depth where you can listen to louder volumes without destroying your eardrums, no graininess, no harshness, more "analog" than "digital" sounding. The bass is toned down a tad bit with the Echo but you can always EQ the sub-bass if your a bass head and oh boy does the VC respond well to EQ. However, when I use the Burson V6 Vivid Op-amp in my DAC with the Echo, the bass is present and the treble sparkle is extended (dynamics) and welcomed without punching me in the face. These are just small improvements and aren't required to enjoy the VC but sometimes a little goes a long way. I'll post up some thoughts when the hybrid pads come in.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #4,364 of 12,463
get ready for late long night listening sessions, it's gonna be awesome! I'm not sure what DAC you have but I kinda have a weird DAC OP amp rolling setup where it's more consistent than tube rolling sometimes. I try to buy gear that supports the "3dness" surround sound, generally, the Feliks Echo will provide a little more smoothness, the soundstage doesn't get any wider with the VC because it's still a closed-back headphone. What your paying for, with the Auteur pads is just a little bit more Air in layer separation, decay, and depth where you can listen to louder volumes without destroying your eardrums, no graininess, no harshness, more "analog" than "digital" sounding. The bass is toned down a tad bit with the Echo but you can always EQ the sub-bass if your a bass head and oh boy does the VC respond well to EQ. However, when I use the Burson V6 Vivid Op-amp in my DAC with the Echo, the bass is present and the treble sparkle is extended (dynamics) and welcomed without punching me in the face. These are just small improvements and aren't required to enjoy the VC but sometimes a little goes a long way. I'll post up some thoughts when the hybrid pads come in.

I use a Schiit Gungnir multi bit that I really like. It also feeds my Mjolnir.
Good info. I’m not big on EQ but it may be a good idea.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,365 of 12,463
People talk about various tube amplifiers with the VC. Knowing what great products Zach makes, I'm sure that the Pendant is awesome and would love to hear it some time with the VC. What I don't understand is why I seem to be the only person touting the virtues of the MicroZOTL 2 with these headphones. Have people tried the MicroZOTL 2 with these and not liked it or have they just not tried the MicroZOTL 2 at all with the VC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back