ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #4,321 of 12,524
Ok, so I'm eagerly awaiting my pair and thought I'd ask for advice on amplification. I have a Darkvoice with a variety of tubes that I've modded a bit and a Monoprice THX 887 doing main duty at my desk. Is that going to be reasonably proficient, and what would you consider a decent step up from the DV?
Congratulations on your new baby coming! I’m not sure of your budget but I’ve had some experience with the dark voice and I will tell you that a big upgrade would be the bottlehead crack with speedball. In my experience with the VC I would use most midfi tube amps over virtually any hifi solid-state amp that I have heard. Other good choices would be the monoprice liquid platinum as well as the Feliks Echo in that price range. A step up from that would be things like the Feliks Elise and Bottlehead mainline that I’ve had experience with. I may be letting go of my Mainline with upgraded V-caps as I just moved to an Eddie Current ZDS so if you’re interested PM me. Above that you might want to look at the ZMF Pendant as people I trust tell me it’s exceptional! The Pendant is in my future but coming across the ZDS, since only around 146 were made and it is an OTL I snatched it up and I couldn’t be happier. I’m sure others will have good suggestions but that’s about as far as my knowledge currently extends.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #4,322 of 12,524
Tried swapping pads today, and it's a little nervewracking to not touch the cups too much while getting the cloth over the lip (which kept pulling off...). Got the Universes Lambskins on and listened for the day.

They're okay. I feel a bit brighter, a bit more punch and speed, and make the cans sound a bit more...."normal"? Not in a bad way! But there's something about the signature of the Auteur Lambskin pads that are so inviting and a bit unique, so might just head back to those.

Also had a moment where I got the pads mixed up and had to compare to see which were which...Time to put them in a ziploc and label them.

Any other pads to check out?

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #4,323 of 12,524
Tried swapping pads today, and it's a little nervewracking to not touch the cups too much while getting the cloth over the lip (which kept pulling off...). Got the Universes Lambskins on and listened for the day.

They're okay. I feel a bit brighter, a bit more punch and speed, and make the cans sound a bit more...."normal"? Not in a bad way! But there's something about the signature of the Auteur Lambskin pads that are so inviting and a bit unique, so might just head back to those.

Also had a moment where I got the pads mixed up and had to compare to see which were which...Time to put them in a ziploc and label them.

Any other pads to check out?
If you enjoy the Auteur lambskin, then you ll most definitely love the Auteur Hybrid pads. They have the same magical sound as the Auteur lambskin pads but with more controlled and refined low end. I keep coming back to these no matter which pads i have on. These should be the stock pads for the VC, imo

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,324 of 12,524
If you enjoy the Auteur lambskin, then you ll most definitely love the Auteur Hybrid pads. They have the same magical sound as the Auteur lambskin pads but with more controlled and refined low end. I keep coming back to these no matter which pads i have on. These should be the stock pads for the VC, imo
I agree the auteur hybrid should be stock too

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,325 of 12,524
I'll 3rd this. Not to mention the hybrid pads are extra comfortable which really adds to the experience.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,326 of 12,524
Fantastic, thanks for the suggestions! Just ordered some Auteur Hybrids. The comfort gain is welcomed as well.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #4,327 of 12,524
I was about to but @heliosphann’s review mentioned the isolation being the worst of all pads (on par with Eikon suede).

I’ll have to forego the suede comfort and rely on EQ for any tweaking 😢

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,328 of 12,524
A little update..

Ever since my post early this morning, I have been using the universe lambskin pads on my VC and so far i really enjoy them. Some of the minor treble spikes/harshness from the auteur pads were all but gone and the bass increase a few db. However, the soundstage was narrowed a lot. The Vc was missing the pseudo open back feel that the auteur/auteur hybrid pads deliver. Before i started writing this post, I went to my old faithful auteur hybrid pads and voila! the soundstage is back, so are the crisp airy treble and mids.The bass punch is slightly muted but the mids and trebel cleanness is hard to beat. I might give the universe pads another shot when i get more treble/mid friendly driver tubes in my elise. Let me know what you guys think.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #4,329 of 12,524
A little update..

Ever since my post early this morning, I have been using the universe lambskin pads on my VC and so far i really enjoy them. Some of the minor treble spikes/harshness from the auteur pads were all but gone and the bass increase a few db. However, the soundstage was narrowed a lot. The Vc was missing the pseudo open back feel that the auteur/auteur hybrid pads deliver. Before i started writing this post, I went to my old faithful auteur hybrid pads and voila! the soundstage is back, so are the crisp airy treble and mids.The bass punch is slightly muted but the mids and trebel cleanness is hard to beat. I might give the universe pads another shot when i get more treble/mid friendly driver tubes in my elise. Let me know what you guys think.
It would be interesting what the Universe hybrid would sound like for you. That might hit the sweet spot.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #4,330 of 12,524
A little update..

Definitely makes a difference, I recently added some vintage Sylvania VT-321 and 6SN7WGT drivers to Elise and treble is phenomenal, would probably shine through any but the darkest, most treble dampening pads.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #4,331 of 12,524
I noticed that with my Sylvy VT-231 driver and tungsol 6080 power tubes, the solid auteur pads sound a little too rumbly, so the auteur hybrids are my preferred pads for now. I just wish i had a different set of good power tubes so i can use it to compare additional pads. Any suggestions?

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #4,332 of 12,524
I noticed that with my Sylvy VT-231 driver and tungsol 6080 power tubes, the solid auteur pads sound a little too rumbly, so the auteur hybrids are my preferred pads for now. I just wish i had a different set of good power tubes so i can use it to compare additional pads. Any suggestions?
Don't want to go too far off topic but in the Elise / Euforia threads there are a multitude of suggestions. My standard is Genalex Gold lion KT88 with adapters, really good and neutral to allow assessment for other variables like pad rolling.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #4,334 of 12,524
How are the Auteur Hybrid pads for isolation?
They should be the same the stock auteur pads. Since the flat portion is suede, it should contour to your face a little better than leather, so it should isolate a little better due to better fit. Its also a lot more comfortable and cooler so it wont sweat as much.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #4,335 of 12,524
Is that all that's different - a bit of suede? How does that make such a difference? (not being funny - probably going to order some based on what folk are saying on here!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back