ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #4,276 of 12,473
These are gorgeous.

DSC07380 - Copy.jpg

DSC07391 - Copy.jpg

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4,277 of 12,473
Dec 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #4,278 of 12,473
Since my endgame-for-at-least-a-little-while headphone, the RAAL SR1a, is taking a break due to my Jotunheim R frying, I have been spending time listening to my other headphones, including my Monkeypod VC.

It has a very unique quality among all my headphones: I find it infuriating. There is a gap in the frequency response which makes them sound uneven and horrible with most recordings, and they are also just so boring and dead (this is coming from someone who likes the HD 800 S). You might think the problem is that I'm using a THX AAA 789 amp, but I took my Woo Audio WA 6 (tube amp) out of the closet and let it warm up, but it didn't magically make the VC likeable - same problems, but now more muffled. I also always try a bunch of different pads, but none of them fix the response gap flaw. I do not understand why anyone likes this headphone, and the reality seems to be that most people LOVE it, and compare it favorably to other super expensive headphones, even!

And it isn't like I can't appreciate headphones that don't have my preferred signature (brighter than the Harman target, to put it simply). I don't prefer the HD 650 over much besides the VC, but I admit that they sound good and don't have any glaring flaws besides being boring (but more alive than the VC). I have a pre-fazor LCD-2, and it is too dark for me, but at least it has great bass. The Koss KHP30i is warmer than I tend to prefer, but it makes up for it by being involving and euphoric/musical. The VC just sounds like someone took a neutral headphone (depending on the pad, I guess) and ruined it by eq'ing out some of the frequency range. It sounds wrong, it isn't musical, it isn't involving. It just makes me angry and wonder what is wrong with my hearing/brain that I am pretty much alone in thinking this. I just don't get it, at all.

It's bad enough that I have sometimes thought that maybe I just got a bad one - but that is unthinkable, given the way these headphones are caringly handmade and tested.

Dunno what my point is in posting this (I'm not trolling - the above is accurate to how I think about the VC) except to update and state that I still hate the VC, and to warn that not everyone thinks these headphones are great, or even worthwhile - always listen to a headphone for as long as possible before buying! I went in blind, and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #4,279 of 12,473
Since my endgame-for-at-least-a-little-while headphone, the RAAL SR1a, is taking a break due to my Jotunheim R frying, I have been spending time listening to my other headphones, including my Monkeypod VC.

It has a very unique quality among all my headphones: I find it infuriating. There is a gap in the frequency response which makes them sound uneven and horrible with most recordings, and they are also just so boring and dead (this is coming from someone who likes the HD 800 S). You might think the problem is that I'm using a THX AAA 789 amp, but I took my Woo Audio WA 6 (tube amp) out of the closet and let it warm up, but it didn't magically make the VC likeable - same problems, but now more muffled. I also always try a bunch of different pads, but none of them fix the response gap flaw. I do not understand why anyone likes this headphone, and the reality seems to be that most people LOVE it, and compare it favorably to other super expensive headphones, even!

And it isn't like I can't appreciate headphones that don't have my preferred signature (brighter than the Harman target, to put it simply). I don't prefer the HD 650 over much besides the VC, but I admit that they sound good and don't have any glaring flaws besides being boring (but more alive than the VC). I have a pre-fazor LCD-2, and it is too dark for me, but at least it has great bass. The Koss KHP30i is warmer than I tend to prefer, but it makes up for it by being involving and euphoric/musical. The VC just sounds like someone took a neutral headphone (depending on the pad, I guess) and ruined it by eq'ing out some of the frequency range. It sounds wrong, it isn't musical, it isn't involving. It just makes me angry and wonder what is wrong with my hearing/brain that I am pretty much alone in thinking this. I just don't get it, at all.

It's bad enough that I have sometimes thought that maybe I just got a bad one - but that is unthinkable, given the way these headphones are caringly handmade and tested.

Dunno what my point is in posting this (I'm not trolling - the above is accurate to how I think about the VC) except to update and state that I still hate the VC, and to warn that not everyone thinks these headphones are great, or even worthwhile - always listen to a headphone for as long as possible before buying! I went in blind, and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

Sell them. They go quickly since they are great headphones!

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #4,280 of 12,473
Simply too beautiful for words. Thank you so much @zach915m @BooUrns!! Let the burn in begin :)

These are gorgeous.

Those are stunning set ups.
That Salire is also the most gorgeous looking wood stand I’ve seen so far and the silver ROOMs contrast really nicely with the red.

Also love the chassis on the Pendant. Is that bocote?

I think I’m going to sell off my VO.... the closed backs are too much!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #4,281 of 12,473
Your name and post sounded familiar so I went and checked my PMs, I sent this PM to you last time you posted something similar to this, this was on May 5th:

"Hey I wanted to check in after seeing your post. I'm happy to get you a set of Verite pads to try since it sounds like that would be your preferred sound signature. I just feel bad that it sounds like you haven't gelled with the Verite closed.

I would just feel bad if you sold the headphones while not getting to hear them with the pads you might prefer.

Can you just confirm your order number and address so I can get them to you?"

---

You never replied to my message, and now I see you're saying a similar thing. Do you want to try the verite pads since it sounds like you want the headphones to be brighter? Did you not get my PM for some reason? I am trying to help but am a little confused.

I am willing to go to any length to help you, including get you a free pair of pads or check your headphone out to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Please let me try to help.

Screenshot_20201227-230132_Chrome.jpg

@ferraro25

Based on the above posting and PM I sent you, and your lack of response to either I have to believe you have some other prerogative that I am unaware of. My offer to help you still stands but I am really confused, as usually when someone doesn't like a headphone as much as you don't like the verite closed, they sell it since it's valuable to others.

Were happy to help in any way, but you've ignored multiple messages from me at this point both public and private.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #4,282 of 12,473
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #4,283 of 12,473

it is clear you don’t like this headphone. I certainly understand people having different tastes in sound. For me, I know that a lot of people love the Utopia but my tastes lend me to the opinion that the VC beats it like a cheap mule. You posted on this thread numerous times way back in March trashing the VC and repeatedly pointing out to everyone here how horrible it is. My question for you is... why would you keep a headphone that you hate for more than a year when you could easily sell it and upgrade your midfi amps? I hope this doesn’t sound sarcastic as I am truly curious. I am also confused as to how purchasing the VC is “one of the worst decisions I've ever made” when you can sell it for virtually the same amount you paid for it?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #4,284 of 12,473
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,285 of 12,473
Were happy to help in any way, but you've ignored multiple messages from me at this point both public and private.

Read his sign: " Due to strong social anxiety, I do not read a thread once I've posted in it, nor do I read my PMs." :beerchug:
I don't understand why he doesn't sell it and stop, he's probably a little masochist (or a troll?).

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #4,286 of 12,473

Like the guy above says, ZMF retain much of their value on the second hand market - my advice is to sell, move on, and to continue enjoying your $6 Panasonic RP-HT21.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,287 of 12,473

You’ve posted about disliking the VCs plenty already... we get it. They are not for you. You’re just hitting a dead horse at this point.

I have a THX789 and I love the VCs.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #4,288 of 12,473
Read his sign: " Due to strong social anxiety, I do not read a thread once I've posted in it, nor do I read my PMs." :beerchug:
I don't understand why he doesn't sell it and stop, he's probably a little masochist (or a troll?).
That sort of completely defeats the purpose of being in a forum... the purpose of which is to talk about gear + suggestions + solutions.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #4,289 of 12,473

I usually enjoy reading posts different from the usual praise the VC's gets since it sheds a different light on what we already know.
I find it infuriating. There is a gap in the frequency response which makes them sound uneven and horrible with most recordings, and they are also just so boring and dead

The VC just sounds like someone took a neutral headphone (depending on the pad, I guess) and ruined it by eq'ing out some of the frequency range. It sounds wrong, it isn't musical, it isn't involving. It just makes me angry and wonder what is wrong with my hearing/brain that I am pretty much alone in thinking this. I just don't get it, at all.

But your post doesn't provide any insight. All these "flaws" you are pointing out are in direct contradictions to what many of us feel about the headphones, and you don't provide any reasoning other than "wonder what is wrong with my hearing/brain"

Come back to us when you have something actually interesting to share.

Edit:
Due to strong social anxiety, I do not read a thread once I've posted in it, nor do I read my PMs.
Just saw this on his flair lol.

Okay, snowflake.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #4,290 of 12,473

Users who are viewing this thread

Back