ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 14, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #3,961 of 12,468
Can somone explain every sound signature?
You can go to the ZMF website and they have a breakdown of the different types of wood. My understanding is the harder the wood the less reverb. One of the reasons I chose the camphor Burl, aside from the stunning looks with the black frame, is it is right in the middle. After reading this thread most people suggest choosing the wood for its looks first and Sound second as the sound doesn’t seem to vary that much but maybe someone with more experience actually hearing them back to back can chime in?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #3,962 of 12,468
Can somone explain every sound signature?
Ask Zach :darthsmile:
From what I understand, the harder and less porous the wood, the sharper the sound and with less decay. But these are very minimal changes, different pads are more evident.
I have your IFI Pro (and D8000), great pairing with the Verité. But the open back one, I think is more a complement to those you have.

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #3,965 of 12,468
Please keep in mind harder the wood,heavier is the set. So do take everything in consideration.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,966 of 12,468
Ask Zach :darthsmile:
From what I understand, the harder and less porous the wood, the sharper the sound and with less decay. But these are very minimal changes, different pads are more evident.
I have your IFI Pro (and D8000), great pairing with the Verité. But the open back one, I think is more a complement to those you have.

Different pad could lead to alter the sound even more than change the driver itself. Pads have significant portion in term of shape a certain sound character because it works like an acoustic room for our ears.

Different wood = different sound that's for sure, especially for closed back headphones where they "reverb" everything onto the wood. Headphones like grado with small cup and really open design, will take much less effect though.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,967 of 12,468
Our wood page is a good page to look for wood info on the site. All the headphones are tuned the same, so the change will be in the attack and decay. I haven't met many people who would like one wood with the same model and not another wood, so usually I push future owners to pick the wood they like the aesthetic of.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,968 of 12,468
I received the Mainline! It is beautiful and dead silent even at full volume. I will test it against the Master 9 with the Vérité after I get them over 100hrs burn in.

Attachments

• 33C4231D-1E0D-4237-A980-42D7B7EA3DAC.jpeg
    33C4231D-1E0D-4237-A980-42D7B7EA3DAC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,969 of 12,468
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #3,970 of 12,468
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,973 of 12,468
I received the Mainline! It is beautiful and dead silent even at full volume. I will test it against the Master 9 with the Vérité after I get them over 100hrs burn in.
Are you still planning to get a ZMF Pendant? If so, I’d be very interested in hearing your sonic impressions given the quality of what you’ve posted so far about the VC.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #3,974 of 12,468
Are you still planning to get a ZMF Pendant? If so, I’d be very interested in hearing your sonic impressions given the quality of what you’ve posted so far about the VC.
I am still planning on getting the Pendant but they wont be available for a while. I may try some other tube amps in the meantime but I have to say that I am blown away by the BH Mainline. I had read it was solid state like in its performance but this is NOT solid state and I mean that in a good way. It is very clear and detailed but with a huge bass and lots of texture. Much more sub bass than the master 9 or my Questyle 600i and that surprises me. I will do a more detailed review of it once I have had a chance to spend some more time with it. I don’t like to do off-the-cuff statements about products as I find my opinion can change after the new toy syndrome wears off. I am also talking to Glenn about building me an amp.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,975 of 12,468
Vérité C 75 hour burn in update:
In my experience the 75 hour mark on any transducer is the low point of its performance. This pattern has been repeated again and again for me with both cone speakers and headphones. The Pattern is, from 0 to 20 hours it sounds very similar to how it’s going to sound in the end but often constricted and tight. From 25 hours to 75 hours the performance is unsteady and inconsistent and actually can take a step back around 75 hours. Every time I get to the 75 hour mark I have to remind myself of this. The most dramatic change is from 75 hours to 100 hours. During this period it settles down and the increase in performance is often substantial. From 100 hours to 300 hours there are small changes in things like smoothness and liquidity.
Regarding my Verite this pattern is continuing. At 75 hours the slight stridency has returned and there is some inconsistency in the upper mids to the highs. This will smooth out as I get closer to 100 hours. There have been other more positive changes like a notable increase in sub bass and a continued expansion in the width of the soundstage. Also, an improvement in dynamics, this headphone now hits as hard as the Utopia and that is the most dynamic headphone I have ever heard. One of the things I love about the VC is the lack of a mid bass hump. That is something I detest and has forced me to sell numerous headphones including the Empyrean and Focal Clear. The vérité woody is the most balanced headphone I have ever heard from 10Hz all the way to 17KHz. Rock solid! This headphone is also very fast. It stops and starts on a dime. Zach has created a headphone that is detailed and dynamic yet smooth and warm... remarkable. On a personal note, I am extremely sensitive to uneven drivers so I appreciate that these drivers are perfectly matched. That shows me a commitment to quality control. I do want to comment on something because I feel it has been a bit overplayed in this thread... the Vérité closed does not sound like an open headphone IMO. I understand, based on the performance, why people would say that. It does an amazing job of avoiding the pitfalls of a closed headphone while providing all the benefits but I would never confuse this with a truly open headphone. This is NOT a problem for me as this is the most enjoyable and emotional sound I have ever heard out of a pair of cans. I’ll check in sometime after 100 hours...
Arlan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back