ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3,947 of 12,510
Did somone listen VC with WyWires Platiunum?
The Wywires platinum are spectacular cables! Very neutral and open. I use the RED because they have a slight emphasis in the bass region along with amazing transparency. The uptick in the bass region is the reason Focal has used the RED at shows.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #3,948 of 12,510
In a classic zero to hero, upgraded from a Bose QC35 to the VC Camphor Burl, which I just received an hour ago. Did this based on what folks have said / reviewed here. Monsterzero - thank you for your video reviews which convinced me to pull the trigger. All that said, these headphones are unbelievable. Breathtaking looks and sound. Hearing all kinds of bass and spine tingling depth of sound. Know they'll get better with some burn in, but am so blown away right now. Thank you ZMF. Thank you everyone.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,949 of 12,510
Monsterzero - thank you for your video reviews which convinced me to pull the trigger.
Thank you for the thanks. I just report what I hear. The credit belongs to ZMF. Glad you're diggin' em!

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #3,950 of 12,510
They have arrived! They are stunning... will burn them in and give my impressions.

Attachments

• 251219FF-3CCB-4A00-B21F-FD4D89B61FC5.jpeg
    251219FF-3CCB-4A00-B21F-FD4D89B61FC5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A82FEF5-05DD-4F23-84DF-E036086E9A4D.jpeg
    5A82FEF5-05DD-4F23-84DF-E036086E9A4D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2B33394F-07EF-4B17-96B7-7A3D0F90EAD4.jpeg
    2B33394F-07EF-4B17-96B7-7A3D0F90EAD4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,951 of 12,510
I want to thank Zach and Bevin. What a work of art! I also want to thank you Monster, not only did your video review convince me to get the vérité woody but also completely reevaluate the direction I was going with amps, headphones and sound in general. It’s time for me to get back to the music....

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #3,952 of 12,510
I have received numerous PMs asking my opinion on how my Camphor Burl sound so...
I will report back every 25 hours as they burn in. What I like to do is listen every 25 hours for no more than 10 min to avoid “brain burn in” I take some notes and put them away. I will be using the Utopia exclusively for the next six days. Some may think this a little obsessive but it has become a ritual that I enjoy. I also have a BH Mainline with Audio Research ref 10 preamp coupling caps arriving Monday so at the end of the burn in I will be able to compare Tubes with my Master 9.
The BH mainline is only temporary until Zach gets The Pendant in stock.

Day 1
Best unboxing ever!
They fit the head beautifully and distribute the weight evenly throughout the band and the cups. The isolation is fantastic.
Right out of the box they sound BIG and BOLD but the sound stage is constricted with slightly rolled off bass. They are detailed but the highs feel constrained. The mids are clear and articulate but accentuated beyond neutral. I am also picking up some slight stridency in the upper mids. You may think that this doesn’t sound great so far but I would disagree, overall they actually sound quite good. After reading this entire thread this is exactly what I had expected before burn in. I believe anyone making a snap judgment of these right out of the box Is doing themselves and ZMF a disservice. From what I am currently hearing and based on 35 years experience burning in audio gear, I am confident they are going to substantially improve in all of those areas, be nothing short of spectacular at 100 hours and probably even better at 300 hours.
I am very excited about what is to come!

I also want to reiterate what has been said so many times and that is the pictures do not do them justice. Based on all of the handmade talk, I did not expect a product so elegant and refined.
I have my Wywires RED being re-terminated at the factory and they will be here in a few days. The only complaint I have would be the cables. They seem to be poor quality and there should be a 10 foot cable as I would suspect a substantial number of people would listen in their living room. I would guess the decision came down to investing the money into the headphones Instead of the cables assuming most people would be purchasing a high end cable for a high-end headphone. If that was the indeed the reason then I applaud the decision.

Overall I am very impressed.
Arlan

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3,955 of 12,510
WOW changing pads give huge difference, now they sound more open, airy, like my Fostex TH-900 but on steroids!

Which pads did you change to/from? Universe to Auteur?

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,956 of 12,510
Idk what was before (maybe Auteur Hybrid), now i have Universe Sheepskin and i like them way more.
Before it was too warm to me, to much bass compare to highs.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #3,957 of 12,510
Burn in at 25 hours:
The soundstage is beginning to open up and spread out. Some cup effect that had concerned me and was fairly obvious out of the box seems to be gone. The top end has opened up slightly and the sub bass and definition of the overall bass has begun to substantially improve. One of the tests I do is vocals in movies. I have found headphones like the Hifiman Ananda and Arya to be fundamentally flawed headphones because they do not represent the human voice correctly. Vocals on those headphones sounds like they have ingested a slight amount of helium. The vocal tone along with the overall tone of the vérité woody is the best I have ever heard in a headphone. One thing that is surprising is what has been called 3Dness. The only other headphone I’ve heard that can do this is the Modhouse Argon. In one of my tests on the avengers movie there is an alarm going off on the ceiling and I can actually hear it above my head in these headphones. The mids and vocals are certainly very present and it makes singers, both male and female, sound absolutely beautiful.
The overall sound is remarkably similar to their visual appearance... big, bold and beautiful. It’s already very difficult to stick to my 10 minute time limit and going back to the utopia is becoming less and less enjoyable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back