ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #3,916 of 12,524
My camphor burl Pendant arrived today to complement the new VC's. Unbelievable! What a difference and huge step up from the Liquid Platinum. The Pendant just has such control over the drivers. I thought the VC's sounded great before, but the Pendant just brings them to another level.IMG_1950.jpeg
Hard to compete with the stabalized wood pair above but my new VC Camphor Burl arrived today.
case.jpg
case 2.jpgcase 3.jpgleft.jpgright.jpgfull.jpg

I am not a great photographer, and as everyone has said before, pictures do not truly do the headphones justice. I love the feel of the burl cups, you can feel the very slight imperfections in the wood which gives them tremendous character and lets the natural beauty of the wood truly shine. Build quality is outstanding.

I have only listened to a few songs, plugged them in right out of the case, and all I can say is wow! For reference my current closed back headphone I am comparing them to is the Sony MDR1Z and these are on a totally different level. Large soundstage, very detailed, good bass slam, and a nice warmth to the music thru my Sonnet Morpheus DAC and Focal Arche amp. Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Tin Pan Alley is one of my audition songs and it sounded exquisite. I spent all day working and listening to the Sony’s, which I like a lot, but they may show up in the classifieds if the VCs improve with burn in. Let me get some burn in time on them and I will give a proper review. Time to get back to listening. :gs1000smile:

It makes me so happy to see you guys finally getting your headphones! I have many more going out this week!

Now tell me about that glass riser for the pendant on the yggy... Where can one find this? Classy!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #3,917 of 12,524
Nov 4, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #3,918 of 12,524
I bought the glass shelf from Amazon to hold a bluetooth receiver and my Liquid Platinum. It just worked out that the Pendant fits perfectly! WALI Tempered Glass Monitor Riser Desktop Stand Height Adjustable Table Top.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #3,919 of 12,524
My Camphor Burl with light mahogany stain arrived last night at 10:20pm. Who knew FedEx delivered that late? I didn't. Anyway, I've been playing music through them for about 14 hours now. They sound just as awesome as the monkey pod I will be selling. The burl are little heavier, but really noticeable on my head. Seems like the burl has a little more bass, especially at low volume and slightly less decay. This may change with more time on them. Other than that, they sound like VC's! I have a camphor burl Pendant coming too. Looks like it should be delivered tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the VC's can do with the amp specifically made for ZMF Headphones.IMG_1938.jpegIMG_1943.jpegIMG_1944.jpeg
Is that stand from ZMF as well? The base and the width of the stand look like the Salire, but without the dip.

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #3,920 of 12,524
No, the stand is home made. I used the Salire as inspiration. There is actually a dip to hold a coiled cable you just can’t see it from this angle. The dip isn’t big enough for a second set of headphones. It’s made out of curly maple. I have another one made out of leopard wood. Zach gave me some advice on what to use for finish (Osmo oil)
CE5449B8-8335-4950-A880-AE8C4B552857.jpeg
on them and they came out beautiful.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,921 of 12,524
No, the stand is home made. I used the Salire as inspiration. There is actually a dip to hold a coiled cable you just can’t see it from this angle. The dip isn’t big enough for a second set of headphones. It’s made out of curly maple. I have another one made out of leopard wood. Zach gave me some advice on what to use for finish (Osmo oil) CE5449B8-8335-4950-A880-AE8C4B552857.jpegon them and they came out beautiful.
Nice work!! You could make a side business making those.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #3,922 of 12,524
No, the stand is home made. I used the Salire as inspiration. There is actually a dip to hold a coiled cable you just can’t see it from this angle. The dip isn’t big enough for a second set of headphones. It’s made out of curly maple. I have another one made out of leopard wood. Zach gave me some advice on what to use for finish (Osmo oil) CE5449B8-8335-4950-A880-AE8C4B552857.jpegon them and they came out beautiful.
VERY nice indeed!

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,923 of 12,524
Read this entire thread and I want to thank you all for your comments...
I picked up a pair of camphor burl from a guy who just got them, used them for 3 hours and decided he liked his Phi better. Didn’t even break them in!! Boggles my mind but his loss is my gain and I’m really excited. They will be here Thursday. I’m currently using the qutest DAC into a master 9. I’m really looking forward to the combination is the master 9 is the single most 3-D solid-state amp I’ve ever used. I’d also like to pick up a tube amp and was looking for a recommendation:
I could pick up a bottle head crack now or a Woo wa2 now or I could save up for a couple monthsor and pick up a pendant?

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,924 of 12,524
The Master 9 is a wonderful amp for the VCs. Gives a lot of heft to the bass punch. You will certainly be pleased.

Nov 8, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #3,925 of 12,524
I just got a Pendant for my VC's a week ago. Unbelievable improvement over a Cavali Liquid Platinum. I've had VC's for a year and read a lot of posts in here and the reviews and felt my set was missing some of the things that were being said about the VC's. Especially about the bass response. I also felt there was something missing in the mid range. After a week with the Pendant, I now fully understand what the reviews and thread comments were about! High end headphones need a high end amp to drive them properly. My 2 cents.

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #3,926 of 12,524
High end headphones need a high end amp to drive them properly. My 2 cents.
`Absolute truth. Dont forget a great DAC as well. The VC scales to dizzying heights.
Sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,927 of 12,524
I just got a Pendant for my VC's a week ago. Unbelievable improvement over a Cavali Liquid Platinum. I've had VC's for a year and read a lot of posts in here and the reviews and felt my set was missing some of the things that were being said about the VC's. Especially about the bass response. I also felt there was something missing in the mid range. After a week with the Pendant, I now fully understand what the reviews and thread comments were about! High end headphones need a high end amp to drive them properly. My 2 cents.

And high end tube amps need some nice NOS tubes to sound perfected, just to get you further down the rabbit hole :o2smile: (thought the Pendant maybe a little less character change with tubes)

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,928 of 12,524
And high end tube amps need some nice NOS tubes to sound perfected, just to get you further down the rabbit hole :o2smile: (thought the Pendant maybe a little less character change with tubes)
TBH that is one of the reasons I’m attracted to the pendant. In the past I’ve had big 2 channel systems, tube pre, tube phono and SET monoblocks and was constantly focused on which tubes sound best for different types of music. That rolling tube obsession really diminished the enjoyment of the music and I don’t want go down that rabbit hole again. For the past six months I’ve been focused on clarity and transparency which has led me to the focal utopia’s. I am a live music guy so that was a WRONG TURN as I found the focal utopia to be the most inaccurate headphone I have ever listened to. I understand why people like The x-ray view into the mastering of the music but, to me, the Utopia sounds nothing like an actual musical instrument. It provided a stunning detailed view but a sterile and non-emotional connection to the music. That’s why I’m excited to get the VC. I want to get back to the emotional instead of the analytical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back