ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #3,856 of 12,521
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3KptoLyJk1M

Did not get to see this live, but I will be watching it in the next couple of days. Can't wait to see the new shop tour.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,857 of 12,521
Finally saved up enough, and am finally the proud owner of a camphor burl VC. Next target: a Pendant amp and Bifrost 2 or similar DAC.

I might be getting ahead of myself though – at the moment I’ve only got a Mojo and some low-end DAPs to drive my VCs (Cayin N3 and Fiio M6). Neither the Mojo nor the DAPs are doing much to make the VCs sound great. So I'd like to pick up an inexpensive amp to drive them in the interim before a more serious amp purchase later. I’ll use the Mojo as the DAC for now, into whatever amp I pickup.

To keep costs low (still saving up for the Pendant) I’m looking at low-end SS. One option recommended is the Beyerdynamic A20. Based on reviews and specs it seems the Schiit Asgard 3 should also be a good option – plenty of power available for 300 ohms. Both would fall into roughly the same price range for where I live (in the UK, with the Asgard shipped from the US).

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare these two amps driving Verites? (VC or VO?) Is there an effective difference at all? Or should I just go for the easier or cheaper option?

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #3,858 of 12,521
Finally saved up enough, and am finally the proud owner of a camphor burl VC. Next target: a Pendant amp and Bifrost 2 or similar DAC.

I might be getting ahead of myself though – at the moment I’ve only got a Mojo and some low-end DAPs to drive my VCs (Cayin N3 and Fiio M6). Neither the Mojo nor the DAPs are doing much to make the VCs sound great. So I'd like to pick up an inexpensive amp to drive them in the interim before a more serious amp purchase later. I’ll use the Mojo as the DAC for now, into whatever amp I pickup.

To keep costs low (still saving up for the Pendant) I’m looking at low-end SS. One option recommended is the Beyerdynamic A20. Based on reviews and specs it seems the Schiit Asgard 3 should also be a good option – plenty of power available for 300 ohms. Both would fall into roughly the same price range for where I live (in the UK, with the Asgard shipped from the US).

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare these two amps driving Verites? (VC or VO?) Is there an effective difference at all? Or should I just go for the easier or cheaper option?

I just sold mine but the Feliks Echo (their entry OTL amp) pairs very well with the VCs. If you can listen to one with your VCs I’d recommend giving it a try.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #3,859 of 12,521

Congratulations on your new headphones, mine will be arriving in the next couple of weeks. Inexpensive means different things to different people but you should take a look at the Monoprice Liquid Platinum hybrid amp. You can roll the tubes to create the sound signature you are looking, and with the right pair of tubes, the LP punches WELL above it's price. Lot's of great information here about the LP. I have a LP I was going to replace with a new amp being built for me but I have been enjoying it so much am going to keep it and replace my Focal Arche which is 5 times the price.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #3,860 of 12,521
I just sold mine but the Feliks Echo (their entry OTL amp) pairs very well with the VCs. If you can listen to one with your VCs I’d recommend giving it a try.

JM1979 - I appreciate the input. Where I'm based (the UK) the Echo is roughly £500, while the A20 would be £311 and the Asgard 3 a bit less than that. For a short-term solution I'd like to be closer to £300. It would be fun to hear an Echo though - I was reading feedback on those a couple of days ago, and found them intriguing.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,861 of 12,521
The pairing between the Feliks Audio amps and the Verite Closed is superb. Contact Jack @ at the Audiobarn and he should be able to sort out a home demo for you.

p.s. congrats on your VCs!!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,862 of 12,521
Very interested in the Verite Closed. Heard the VO and was impressed by how natural and lively they sounded. Demoing them next to the Focal Clears, the Meze Empyreans, and the HD800s I kept coming back to them. Thinking the Closed might be better for use at home. One day...(or if ZMF November offers a deal I can't refuse!)

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,863 of 12,521
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3KptoLyJk1M

New space looks great, and that’s a nice selection of amps you have. That stratus looks a beaut! Half the shop seems to be for pad rolling ! :darthsmile::gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #3,864 of 12,521
I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following cage fight: Chord Hugo 2 (functioning as both DAC and Amp) VS Qutest with the GS-X Mini.

I would be driving either the Verite Closed and/or the Stellia. Thoughts on the various combos of the above equipment would be very helpful.

I’m weighing different home/office/portable options.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Rich

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #3,865 of 12,521
I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following cage fight: Chord Hugo 2 (functioning as both DAC and Amp) VS Qutest with the GS-X Mini.

I would be driving either the Verite Closed and/or the Stellia. Thoughts on the various combos of the above equipment would be very helpful.

Rich

I’ve never owned the GXmini but have owned variations of what you are asking about.

First, I preferred the Qutest to the Hugo2 as a Dac. They are supposedly the same but I found the Qutest to be warmer and have a more full sound versus the Hugo 2.

I also liked my Hugo 2 paired with a Liquid Platinum vs the Hugo2 stand alone(I also paired a Qutest with the LP and it was excellent) . There is group think amongst Chord owners that direct out and transparency rule all, but more often than not I’ve found a separate amp to compliment the sound quality of Chord dacs more than using a direct output.

So I think the Qutest is a step up from the Hugo2, and I think the GX mini would give you a more full sound than Hugo 2 direct.

Qutest is a hell of a Dac IMO.

Also, I’d think the Hugo 2 would be too neutral/precise/surgical for the VCs. I’d want more body and texture pushed through my chain to take advantage of the VC sound signature.

Edit: I listen mostly to rock, acoustic, bluegrass music. If you leaned more towards jazz/classical, my input might not be as valuable as I find that my likes align to those that like similar genres.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #3,866 of 12,521

Rich
I don't know about the Qutest, but I find the Hugo2 pairing with the VC superb. I'm a big fan of pairing a neutral, brightish source with excellent technical merits with a warmer headphone like the VC. Really tightens everything up without losing the musicality.

Does depend on your preferences, though. Personally I prefer linear rather than forward mids with tight low end and airy top end, but if you want to go full on "euphonic," this pairing might not suit you.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #3,867 of 12,521
I don't know about the Qutest, but I find the Hugo2 pairing with the VC superb. I'm a big fan of pairing a neutral, brightish source with excellent technical merits with a warmer headphone like the VC. Really tightens everything up without losing the musicality.

Does depend on your preferences, though. Personally I prefer linear rather than forward mids with tight low end and airy top end, but if you want to go full on "euphonic," this pairing might not suit you.

Totally agree with Nostoi here. The Hugo 2/VC pairing is excellent and it’s one of the nearest DAC/Amps out there, and you can add the 2Go for streaming.

You could then add a tube amp that would give you more warmth and that tube “openness”.

The VC play well with lots of amps and I think that’s a key strength.

@Richardhoos - what genres do you listen to?

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,868 of 12,521
Does anyone use a DAP for their VC? been thinking about investing in one if it can even remotely be worth it. Would like to move around a bit with them outside of my office. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #3,869 of 12,521
I honestly just pair my VC with my phone if I ever need to move around. Then again, most newer phones don't even have the headphone jack anymore.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #3,870 of 12,521
Does anyone use a DAP for their VC? been thinking about investing in one if it can even remotely be worth it. Would like to move around a bit with them outside of my office. Thanks!
Occasionally with my Lotoo Paw 6K + Romi BX2 Plus, but I don't really feel any of the ZMF headphones are designed for this sort of use. Saying that, I may well try with the portable Cayin tube amp when it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back