ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,871 of 12,524
Does anyone use a DAP for their VC? been thinking about investing in one if it can even remotely be worth it. Would like to move around a bit with them outside of my office. Thanks!
Not a dap, but my ifi hip-dac powers it pretty well for a mobile thingy.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #3,872 of 12,524
Does anyone use a DAP for their VC? been thinking about investing in one if it can even remotely be worth it. Would like to move around a bit with them outside of my office. Thanks!

Focal Stelia might be better for portable use. You will get better sound from your DAP.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #3,873 of 12,524
Hip DAC is good for its price but since original poster already has Mojo so I don’t think Ifi DAC will be of any improvement over it.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,874 of 12,524

Plug the 4.4 mm cable to VC, then connect to Cayin N6 II (E02 preferred) or AK Kann Alpha. A solid transportable set up for travel. Even can use at plane if you don't mind to use big headphone when commute.

Anyway, fun fact of today: VO Pheasantwood sounds more similar to VC Monkeypod rather than to VO Camphor Burl.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #3,875 of 12,524
Doing some rough ABing tonight with VC and Stellia. Obviously both are spectacular for unique reasons.

-I seem to be able to appreciate the Stellia more out of my mojo (compared to VC out of mojo).

-and I give the nod to the VC out of Qutest/GS-X mini.

I think that with the Stellia on Mojo, I’m able to listen louder than I can with the Stellia from the Qutest/Mini. Out of Mini, it can get a little sharp.

With the VC from Qutest/Mini, this set up really is beautiful, tons of detail and slam and able to listen for hours. I’ve had this set up for months and have really loved it. Only reason I was experimenting with the Stellia is ...

Recently with a newborn girl, I’ve only been able to do portable listening from Mojo so I acquired the Stellia to see if it was a better match for the Mojo than the VC (on mojo just felt like something was missing) which indeed from quick impressions, Stellia-Mojo is the better match there.

*listening to the new Future Islands album out of Qobuz stream. A great album btw.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #3,876 of 12,524
This thread needs more camphor burl pics! There must be more out there by now..

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #3,877 of 12,524
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3KptoLyJk1M

This was very cool, wish I would have been able to tune in to the live stream, maybe next time.
Thanks much for the tour of the new shop....looks like a wonderful set up.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #3,878 of 12,524
Doing some rough ABing tonight with VC and Stellia. Obviously both are spectacular for unique reasons.

-I seem to be able to appreciate the Stellia more out of my mojo (compared to VC out of mojo).

-and I give the nod to the VC out of Qutest/GS-X mini.

I think that with the Stellia on Mojo, I’m able to listen louder than I can with the Stellia from the Qutest/Mini. Out of Mini, it can get a little sharp.

With the VC from Qutest/Mini, this set up really is beautiful, tons of detail and slam and able to listen for hours. I’ve had this set up for months and have really loved it. Only reason I was experimenting with the Stellia is ...

Recently with a newborn girl, I’ve only been able to do portable listening from Mojo so I acquired the Stellia to see if it was a better match for the Mojo than the VC (on mojo just felt like something was missing) which indeed from quick impressions, Stellia-Mojo is the better match there.

*listening to the new Future Islands album out of Qobuz stream. A great album btw.

Thanks for this. I am still in denial that I'd like to get a VC. Rationally, it doesn't make much sense since I mostly use my Stellia with a FiiO M15, and you confirm that it was a good decision. But who said that rational decisions are the best :).

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #3,879 of 12,524

I'm using Cayin N6II + E02 to drive VC when on the go and it works really well (60% volume is enough for my listening). It probably sounds 95% of my desktop setup (Hugo2 + RNHP).

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,881 of 12,524
My ECP Audio DSHA-3F amp arrived this past Tuesday and I've been A/Bing against my much much cheaper Asgard 3 for a few hours. While this amp is aimed to pair well with the Focal Utopia, I really wanted to see how it'll be like with the VC. Thankfully the Bifrost 2 can output both the single ended and balanced at the same time, allowing me to swap back and forth quite quickly to discern the differences. Overall I'd say the sound improved slightly across the spectrum. Notice I mentioned the word "slight" a lot, but each of these subtle improvements do a add up to make the overall experience much better (to me at least). It's not an insane night and day difference, but I do enjoy the 3F quite a lot as I have longer sessions with it. So here are my thoughts coming from the Asgard 3 (with EDM music):
  • My unit came with nickel transformers, and I can hear slightly warmer tonality with more weight and texture to the bass. Apparently from most people, the nickel transformers give tube like characteristics, although I never heard a tube amp before, so I can't comment on this.
  • With the slight emphasis on the bass, depending on some songs, I can hear this nice tight and controlled rumble at the end of each kick drum. I definitely enjoy the slam more on this amp.
  • I like how it made my VC slightly less congested, especially in busy passages. It's likely due to the improvement in image separation, and I can easily identify the location each instrument more effortlessly.
  • Because of better image separation, I can hear the vocals slight more opened up.
  • There is slightly more stage depth.
Now I'm trying to find a seller that has the amorphous transformers, where it supposed to enhance the "3D holographic" effects (curious how this will sound like with the Universe pads), brings some air in the treble region and being slightly colder. I find this amp really knows how to fully utilize the driver capabilities, although I'm still quite happy with the Asgard 3 too. I mean especially for its current price point. So yea I think the VC pairs well with either of these two amps. I should really stop unplugging and plugging the cable between the amps back and forth and just enjoy the music though!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,882 of 12,524
Using the Cayin N3Pro with the VO’s and loving it - can’t wait to try a VC
REALLY?! Do you use 3.5mm (SE) or 4.4mm (Balance)?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3,883 of 12,524
Thanks much for the tour of the new shop....looks like a wonderful set up.
Yeah... I hope that one day, when the world gets back to being "normal" (as in: pre-covid behavior), Zach would allow for tours / visits to his new shop.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #3,884 of 12,524
Yeah... I hope that one day, when the world gets back to being "normal" (as in: pre-covid behavior), Zach would allow for tours / visits to his new shop.

That sitting area at the entrance looks awesome for sitting back with a drink and some headphones!

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,885 of 12,524

Attachments

• 7F399D13-10F1-423F-89C0-E5A243FBC41B.jpeg
    7F399D13-10F1-423F-89C0-E5A243FBC41B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back