ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #3,331 of 12,586
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #3,332 of 12,586
I dont know how to get to em show without downloading aha

Here's your Verite Close without need to downloading it haha. Beautiful wood there! What's the colour of chassis and rod? Blending so well with the wood.

DSC08286-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,333 of 12,586
Here's your Verite Close without need to downloading it haha. Beautiful wood there! What's the colour of chassis and rod? Blending so well with the wood.

DSC08286-2.jpg
Thanks for the help haha I got the chassis and rod in wine! I saw some earlier pics and had to get it with the dark stain.

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,334 of 12,586
Well, just an update on the recent addition of the VC Ironwoods. I am really enjoying the sound now. What a great set of headphones. I had to move up from the flat stock cable, and play with output options on the RME, but the sound is really well defined now, with good soundstage, instrument separation, tonal balance, solid tight bass, with open highs. I'm really enjoying the music right now.

Here is the chain I am using.
Ipad Pro (Usb-c) (Streaming Qobuz) --> RME ADI-2 Dac/Amp --> Purist (PAD) Venustas Rev C XLR Cables --> GS-X Mini --> Norne S3 XLR headphone cable --> ZMF Verite Closed Ironwoods.

I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve the chain (at moderate expense). If you see any glaring weak links, please let me know.
With a headphone as revealing as the VC you will begin to hear improvements( or flaws) in your chain that you may or may not have heard with other headphones.
Source,amps,DACs,power cables,conditioners,USB and RCA/XLR cables, and file quality all can make a difference in the way your system sounds.

Be careful though. Its a slippery slope once you go down the upgrade path. Sorry about your wallet.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #3,335 of 12,586
now for the continued wait for a GOTL to match
Hopefully you're a patient person, because Glenn's wait is much longer than ZMF...
Having said that - both are well worth the wait :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #3,336 of 12,586
Glad to hear that you are enjoying these and I also have a RME ADI pro (just because I actually value the A/D conversion but I'd also suggest your next upgrade path would probably be a dedicated audio source or streamer and that's what I'm looking into now. I had switched from USB to Optical into the RME ADI pro and I think the RME does an amazing job rejecting noise from power lines but if there is noise on the signal you feed into it I think that can affect the sound and when I went from a laptop or any wireless device I think this noise had an impact. I switched to optical into the RME instead of USB from my PC and it sounded significantly better to me but that is because I think I have noisy power (you may have some of this as well and I think we all do to some point but this is something that depends person to person so this may not be a big issue in your system). So I think I would try out different ways to get audio into the RME and then I want to get a dedicated audio streamer that can get clean audio into the RME I feel like if I can clean up that process that is one of the last thing that is really limiting things for me from a noise perspective.
You nailed the 1st most important chain-component; get great headphones. Congrats! Nice headphones!

I really support this comment by @Ciggavelli. Here you can find my story of experimentation on this topic. I tried a lot of different things to say the least. There is plenty to read here and elsewhere on the topic. Getting a good music source/ streamer is > adding de-crapifiers IMO.

Upgraded cables - I am a believer, but I think they have the smallest effect relative to other things. I'd order them last in upgrades.

I know this always comes up (yawn, sigh), but tubes are ideal with these headphones. This is not an inexpensive upgrade, and your GSX-mini should certainly outpace the amp in the RME ADI II. So clearly the answer is; sell your car, kids, soul, etc and get a tube amp :)

Alternatively - do nothing. You have a nice setup - headphones on, feet up, music in - happiness!
A cheap add on that you might like is an Audioquest Jitterbug. Just plug it into the Apple CCK and then plug usb into the jitterbug.
Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm hearing a lot of feedback to improve my source and/or improve the usb input. I don't want to muck up the headphone thead more with my "chain" questions. Please feel free to PM me if you have more suggestions. I did take one step in this direction, but I'll bore folks in another thread with those details and questions. :o2smile:

Obviously, I'm having a terrific time with these fantastic headphones...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #3,337 of 12,586
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,338 of 12,586
Can anyone compare the VC to the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed (A2C)? Especially in the bass region and with dance/electronic music. I have the A2C and it's a great headphone, but I've been eyeing the VC for some time now as a potential replacement.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,339 of 12,586
Can anyone compare the VC to the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed (A2C)? Especially in the bass region and with dance/electronic music. I have the A2C and it's a great headphone, but I've been eyeing the VC for some time now as a potential replacement.
I had AFCs. I listen to basically exclusively electronic music. VC infinitely better.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,341 of 12,586
I had AFCs. I listen to basically exclusively electronic music. VC infinitely better.
Specifically regarding the bass, my biggest issue with the AFCs was (in my perception) overly thin bass. VC does not have this issue - at all.

In fairness to the AFCs, I didn't have a tube amp at the time, so I didn't get to compare with the same amp.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #3,342 of 12,586
I have both, in general A2C are more forward and aggressive, the low end has more impact. VCs are overall more refined but have a more relaxed presentation, kind of laid back.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,343 of 12,586
I've got both and when at home I'm very happy to use the ZMF over the Aeon 2 whenever I can.
I do listen to Pendulum from time to time and I agree with Chrisdrop that the Verite Closed are by far the better headphone.
Can you elaborate on why you prefer the VC? Bass/mids/treble, soundstage, imaging, tonality, dynamics, resolution?

Specifically regarding the bass, my biggest issue with the AFCs was (in my perception) overly thin bass. VC does not have this issue - at all.

In fairness to the AFCs, I didn't have a tube amp at the time, so I didn't get to compare with the same amp.
The original AFC was tame in the bass, very neutral almost boring. However the A2C is far meatier and more enjoyable in that region and sounds slightly elevated above neutral to me.

I have both, in general A2C are more forward and aggressive, the low end has more impact. VCs are overall more refined but have a more relaxed presentation, kind of laid back.
What do you reach for if you're listening to electronic music? How is the VC's treble compared to the A2C? I find the A2C treble to be a little hot so I use the medium filter. And when you say the VC is more relaxed, how do its dynamics compare to the A2C?

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #3,344 of 12,586
The VCs with Universe pads kick like a mule. I’m very satisfied for electronic music!

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,345 of 12,586
Speaking of pads.. I accidentally left home for vacation with the VC wearing two different socks :)

Still sound good..

1595967880827.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back