ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,441 of 12,527
Hi guys,

Wonderful community and resources here. I'm still deciding between the VC and the focal utopia. Having heard them both, I can say that surprisingly, they have some in common even though one is a closed back and one is open backed.

Both headphones are similar in presentation in that they are direct and intimate. The focals are just a tad brighter. Sometimes I might hear a little more details in the focal, especially in the edges of female vocals.

Reverberations are longer in the vc and works well with string instruments. Perhaps it conveys a more natural tone because of that? Or is it because of the wood used? Mids of the utopia are more subdued and may be what some people call neutral when compared to the VC.

Bass quantity is definitely more on the VC. Hits hard and snappy. Wonderful on tracks with drums like Gogo penguins all res.

I find that with both, I am hearing 'more' music, if that makes sense. Utopia makes me want to follow every instrument line and pick up the little details, while with the VC I'm enjoying the overall presentation. The details are still there, just that I'm focusing more on the overall.

These are my limited impressions after having spent 30 min with each. Apologies if it sounded vague as this is my first time putting impressions into words. What a great time to come back to the hobby. Plenty of good headphones to audition. I'm also going to audition the Verite open next week.

As this will be my first pair of headphones after a long hiatus from the hobby, any thoughts or recommendations on which headphones to try out next are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,442 of 12,527
Hi guys,

Wonderful community and resources here. I'm still deciding between the VC and the focal utopia. Having heard them both, I can say that surprisingly, they have some in common even though one is a closed back and one is open backed.

Both headphones are similar in presentation in that they are direct and intimate. The focals are just a tad brighter. Sometimes I might hear a little more details in the focal, especially in the edges of female vocals.

Reverberations are longer in the vc and works well with string instruments. Perhaps it conveys a more natural tone because of that? Or is it because of the wood used? Mids of the utopia are more subdued and may be what some people call neutral when compared to the VC.

Bass quantity is definitely more on the VC. Hits hard and snappy. Wonderful on tracks with drums like Gogo penguins hi res.

I find that with both, I am hearing 'more' music, if that makes sense. Utopia makes me want to follow every instrument line and pick up the little details, while with the VC I'm enjoying the overall presentation. The details are still there, just that I'm focusing more on the overall.

These are my limited impressions after having spent 30 min with each. Apologies if it sounded vague as this is my first time putting impressions into words. What a great time to come back to the hobby. Plenty of good headphones to audition. I'm also going to audition the Verite open next week.

As this will be my first pair of headphones after a long hiatus from the hobby, any thoughts or recommendations on which headphones to try out next are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Definitely give the Stax 009s and Raal SR1 a listen if you've been out a while. Maybe the LCD4 as well, see how far Planar Magnetic headphones have come too. It's a good time to be in this hobby.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,444 of 12,527
Have you compared your VC with those? What's your impression? Thanks.

I should be able soon. As soon as I receive my VC, I will compare it to me BHSE/SR009s system. VC being driven by my Eddie Curent EC445 tube amp... tough battle...

HiFi Station open.jpg

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,445 of 12,527
Have you compared your VC with those? What's your impression? Thanks.

I wish. I don't have a VC yet. I'm still in the 50s on the list. As long as I get them before NYC canjam, I'll be able to. The Raal is next on my to-purchase list though.

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #1,446 of 12,527
I wish. I don't have a VC yet. I'm still in the 50s on the list. As long as I get them before NYC canjam, I'll be able to. The Raal is next on my to-purchase list though.
SR1A and ZMF (all of them!?!? Lol :wink: but I only own the Verite Opens and Closed, along with the Aeolus) are my current “end game” lol...but seriously, it is hard to get excited for anything else after having the above combos...

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,447 of 12,527
SR1A and ZMF (all of them!?!? Lol :wink: but I only own the Verite Opens and Closed, along with the Aeolus) are my current “end game” lol...but seriously, it is hard to get excited for anything else after having the above combos...

With the Jot R coming, I may move the SR1's back into consideration, although being a bit of a basshead I am not sure the SR1's are quite for me.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,448 of 12,527
With the Jot R coming, I may move the SR1's back into consideration, although being a bit of a basshead I am not sure the SR1's are quite for me.
The Jotunheim R boosts the bass up a little bit, I found the pairing very enjoyable. Plus if you want more bass at the cost of stage, just move the “wings/drivers” flush against your ears and bass response gets more elevated.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,450 of 12,527
After nearly a month, i am still in a state of awe at the sound thats coming out my VCs. This really shouldnt be possible from a closed back, but i'm glad it is and whats more i'm reaching straight for the Hugo2 and not giving tubes much of second thought. Can't believe it's me saying this!! The staging, separation and punch are what have me smitten, everything else is great too its just these elements that have me weak at the knees compared to the Stellias and every other CB and OBs i've heard. Its kid in a sweetshop stuff, but i'm finding i listen to every album i put in end to end and they're breathing new life in to all my 90s favourite techno which hasnt been listened too for an age, this morning its Life Forms, The Future Sound of London's master piece. Sounds like it was recorded yesterday :wink::)

(sorry crappy youtube link, but i cant embed tidal)

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,451 of 12,527
After nearly a month, i am still in a state of awe at the sound thats coming out my VCs. This really shouldnt be possible from a closed back, but i'm glad it is and whats more i'm reaching straight for the Hugo2 and not giving tubes much of second thought. Can't believe it's me saying this!! The staging, separation and punch are what have me smitten, everything else is great too its just these elements that have me weak at the knees compared to the Stellias and every other CB and OBs i've heard. Its kid in a sweetshop stuff, but i'm finding i listen to every album i put in end to end and they're breathing new life in to all my 90s favourite techno which hasnt been listened too for an age, this morning its Life Forms, The Future Sound of London's master piece. Sounds like it was recorded yesterday :wink::)

(sorry crappy youtube link, but i cant embed tidal)

FSOL rules. I haven't listened to that album in forever as well.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,452 of 12,527
I'm working on the pad comparison guys. Blame The Outer Worlds for the delay. :L3000:

Gonna get the hype train rolling, but the Hybrid pads are my preferred pads on the VC. I'll leave it at that for now...

I’m really looking forward to the pad review when you post it. I’ve already got all my bags aboard the hype train and am having a cold beer in the bar car, so please don’t hold back. :)

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,453 of 12,527
I’m really looking forward to the pad review when you post it. I’ve already got all my bags aboard the hype train and am having a cold beer in the bar car, so please don’t hold back. :)
Hope the Hybrid pads also work well with the VO also.

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,454 of 12,527
Hope the Hybrid pads also work well with the VO also.
We will be making some hybrid pads to specifically work with VO as well, they'll just need the perforations in place.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back