ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,426 of 12,429
All bass is lowered some, but mainly mid bass from 80 to 150 hz, subbass is lowered less.
Suede both let's more air through to decrease bass and acts as a filter to smooth out the transients. The filtering smooths the attack and treble a little. So you both get a headphone that's brighter but also with diffused/smoothed treble.

Personally I prefer the sharper transient of lambskin/sheepskin, and our new hybrid pads which will be released soon. A lot of people love the suede pads as their go to.

There's a lot of variances, and this all can change subjectively based on your chain, so I try to have enough pads to accommodate for all that.

Labels incoming on the pads back flaps soonish as well.
Ooh....if you need testers for the hybrid pads....I might know a guy, who is also particular to the color purple....and has two thumbs... :wink: Joking aside looking forward to purchasing a set of the hybrids!

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #1,427 of 12,429
Yes, but without valid comparison, e.g. Stellia.

Sorry, I should have refined ... I am disappointed about the mentioned tonal imbalances and the subsequent need to fiddle around with different pads. The last thing I want to do is trying out different pads to reach different signatures.
I feel like he might just be waaaay too sensitive to the frequencies he complained about, because I don't find anything harsh about this headphone. More forward than the Verite Open, yes, but by no means harsh.

That's why the Verite Open and Closed are perfect compliments to each other.

Also strongly disagree with his assessment of the Verite Open's soundstage. I don't think I've heard anyone else, including myself describe the feeling that their soundstage is narrow. It honestly seems he might not have done his research or listen very long for this particular pair. He seems to be under the impression that only the Verite Open come with the magnesium chassis right off the bat but not the closed, which is not the case.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #1,428 of 12,429

Sorry, I should have refined ... I am disappointed about the mentioned tonal imbalances and the subsequent need to fiddle around with different pads. The last thing I want to do is trying out different pads to reach different signatures.

I agree, if the eikon’s are the best cb he’s heard other than the VC, then you can only view his review in this context. IMO the stellia’s are the only direct competitor performance-wise, followed by ether c, hd820, Denon ahd9200, elegias and for some Hd820, etc. While there are a few insights this review but from the way its structured, lack of comparisons, or mention of partnering equipment, etc it’s as reliable as any other set of subjective amateur impressions and can’t really be viewed as any more than that compared to the other far more thorough reviews that have been posted.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,429 of 12,429
I had a pair of VC (monkeypod) delivered last week and have been listening to them every chance I've had since. As expected, Zach and the team did an incredible job with these. Like others have reported, I'm hearing a more forward presentation relative to the VO. The speed and resolution are real highlights and I'm definitely getting some of that unique, addicting 3D soundstage. I've stuck with the Auteur pads to this point, not yet feeling the need to switch things up. Needless to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of these!

The closed design offers really great isolation and the noise floor is lower than the VO. This is a wonderful attribute, but it will bring attention to any noise issues you might have with your system. I truly love the sound of my ZMF Pendant, but in my system the noise floor is a little high for the VC.

I'm sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but does anyone have recommendations for solid state or hybrid amps that might match up well with the Verite? I'm thinking of something with pre-outs that I could use to connect to the Pendant. I don't think I'll ever take that one out of the mix.

I use both the VO and VC with my Pendant, almost daily. Dead silent amp unless the music is playing. Maybe your noise issue is mains, source or tube related?

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,430 of 12,429
I use both the VO and VC with my Pendant, almost daily. Dead silent amp unless the music is playing. Maybe your noise issue is mains, source or tube related?

I think it's a mains power issue, but I don't want to get into all the details of my troubleshooting efforts. The good thing is that many components don't show any effects at all.

Ive read some good things about the GSX Mk2 matching up well with the Verité... I'm thinking of something like that or maybe an SPL Phonitor X.

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,431 of 12,429
It'll telegraph my full/formal review somewhat, but the Vérité Closed are in my "Top 2" contenders for "best closed-back headphone". They've already ousted the HD820 (which I love, and still own, even if I am in the minority there), and are really just competing with the Focal Stellia for the top spot. And that may just come down to mood, choice of music, and what I've been imbibing at the time.

One thing is for sure, the Vérité Closed are easily the closest-sounding-to-their-open-back-sibling headphones I've ever heard.

If I could only have ONE headphone, and it had to be a closed-back (for isolation), it's down to the ZMF Vérité Closed and the Focal Stellia.

Absent the SR1a, I'm not sure that changes much even if it didn't have to be a closed-back can.

To come at this from another angle ...

I have two pairs of Focal headphones (having preciously owned all six of their audiophile line at once), the Stellia and the Utopia. I have two pairs of Sennheiser headphones currently (HD800S and HD820). I own three pairs of ZMF cans (Eikon in Padauk, Vérité open in Ziricote and Cocobolo) and am only waiting on a final decision of choice of wood to add a fourth.

Again, telegraphing my review ... if you're in the market for a TOTL closed-back can the Vérité Closed absolutely belong on your audition list. And if you loved the original Vérité but want isolation/reduced leakage, the Vérité Closed are a no-brainer choice.

Can you go into more detail on how the Verite closed compares to the HD820? I have the 820 and I really like how it sounds, with one caveat. The seal is not great. If I put slight pressure on the cups with my fingers, then the 820 sounds amazing. The low-end becomes much better, more punchy. But I love the tonal quality of the 820. Everything I listen to sounds great. So I'm interested in a direct comparison between the two if you can.

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,432 of 12,429
Can you go into more detail on how the Verite closed compares to the HD820? I have the 820 and I really like how it sounds, with one caveat. The seal is not great. If I put slight pressure on the cups with my fingers, then the 820 sounds amazing. The low-end becomes much better, more punchy. But I love the tonal quality of the 820. Everything I listen to sounds great. So I'm interested in a direct comparison between the two if you can.

I was more specific in my review of them.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,433 of 12,429
In the midst of all the rave reviews, I'm going to try to be a little more neutral here.

The more I listen, the more the bass advantage the VC has over other headphones stands out. The low frequency transients beat everything else in my lineup (HD800 eq'ed, X00, 650, Aeolus, Atticus, Srh1540). It thumps a lot harder at lower volumes, so you don't feel too much need to crank up the amp. It's also much more of a thump than a rumble. The 1540 also has very good impact, but the bass attack is much different. The VC slaps with drums while the 1540 will shake.

The mids and highs are a bit more complicated.

The Atticus is really dark compared to my others, and the signature ZMF house sound is very prevalent. The 650 'veil' is a consequence of its vocals not being extremely forward, and the Atticus is basically veil x5. I actually don't mind it, and it works well for certain genres. The VC is somewhere in the middle. At least there doesn't seem to be any glaring flaws in the mids, like FR holes. Of course, it still sounds like closed back mids, as there's something to do with free air flow and pressure that allows open back mids to usually sound more natural. I like to call it seashell mids, because closed backs all sound like you're putting seashells on your head to some extent.

The 650 treble is more velvety than the VC, and the 800 treble is much sharper and metallic (bad without EQ imo). The VC treble is both smooth and sharp, but it feels like there's one or two holes in the frequency response. The best way I can describe it is if a headphone's treble is completely smooth, it would go from dull -> smooth -> sharp. The VC sometimes sounds dull and sharp at the same time, but it's not deal-breaking. The 650 probably has my favorite treble response in everything I've tried.

All in all, I'm satisfied. The ironwood comfort is decent with dekoni nuggets, the wood and metal is beautiful, and the bass is TOTL. The mids and highs aren't anything special IMO, but they are competent. They sound less closed than my other closed backs, but still not open. I hope the VC paves a way for headphone designers to not race to the bottom in terms of driver weight. Physical vibration and air movement give the VC its special feel, something that I have not experienced in the planars I've tried.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like the treble peakiness was something to do with the songs I was playing. It's actually very smooth for most tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,435 of 12,429
In the midst of all the rave reviews, I'm going to try to be a little more neutral here.

The more I listen, the more the bass advantage the VC has over other headphones stands out. The low frequency transients beat everything else in my lineup (HD800 eq'ed, X00, 650, Aeolus, Atticus, Srh1540). It thumps a lot harder at lower volumes, so you don't feel too much need to crank up the amp. It's also much more of a thump than a rumble. The 1540 also has very good impact, but the bass attack is much different. The VC slaps with drums while the 1540 will shake.

The mids and highs are a bit more complicated.

The Atticus is really dark compared to my others, and the signature ZMF house sound is very prevalent. The 650 'veil' is a consequence of its vocals not being extremely forward, and the Atticus is basically veil x5. I actually don't mind it, and it works well for certain genres. The VC is somewhere in the middle. At least there doesn't seem to be any glaring flaws in the mids, like FR holes. Of course, it still sounds like closed back mids, as there's something to do with free air flow and pressure that allows open back mids to usually sound more natural. I like to call it seashell mids, because closed backs all sound like you're putting seashells on your head to some extent.

The 650 treble is more velvety than the VC, and the 800 treble is much sharper and metallic (bad without EQ imo). The VC treble is both smooth and sharp, but it feels like there's one or two holes in the frequency response. The best way I can describe it is if a headphone's treble is completely smooth, it would go from dull -> smooth -> sharp. The VC sometimes sounds dull and sharp at the same time, but it's not deal-breaking. The 650 probably has my favorite treble response in everything I've tried.

All in all, I'm satisfied. The ironwood comfort is decent with dekoni nuggets, the wood and metal is beautiful, and the bass is TOTL. The mids and highs aren't anything special IMO, but they are competent. They sound less closed than my other closed backs, but still not open. I hope the VC paves a way for headphone designers to not race to the bottom in terms of driver weight. Physical vibration and air movement give the VC its special feel, something that I have not experienced in the planars I've tried.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like the treble peakiness was something to do with the songs I was playing. It's actually very smooth for most tracks.

---------

Glad to hear about the bass on the VC, ordered on day 1 and waiting to get 'em. I ordered the monkey pod due to the big weight difference, despite the fact that the ironwood looks awesome.

I definitely agree with you about the driver weight / planar issue - I have the Ether C Flows 1.1 and have had long trials with the Aeon Flow Closed and Ether Flow Open. While the Ethers are very clean and detailed, I prefer my ZMFs to all of them due to the body and thump generated by the driver size and air flow. I actually got the Ether Flow Closed 1.1s because they are quite revealing, technically excellent, and easily had the best weight, thump, and energy of the MrS IMO. But I find myself rarely using them since getting ZMF closed backs. On a related note, if anyone is in the market for a used pair of mint Ether C Flows, let me know!

Have you tried the Eikon? From your description, you might like them - they're more detailed (especially in the treble) and do a better job presenting high mids compared to the atticus...the bass presentation is different too, better extended and more detailed but less quantity (still a lot though). Actually, scratch this - it looks like neither you nor I need another pair of ZMF headphones :)

-Felix

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,436 of 12,429
Have you had much burn-in time Bobobobobiy?

Probably only 50 hours or so of usage at this point. I don't burn in headphones passively because I strongly believe most burn in effects are either burning in your own ears, or placebo.

I'm actually not that sure that VC is unaffected by burn in. I feel that there may be burning in the wood itself, especially if baffle vibration is a big part of the transient presentation. I know wood flexibility and stiffness is affected both by time and by use, which is why my archery bows all use some kind of fiberglass support.

The transients were what I noticed first, so it's very hard to say whether or not they've changed since I first got them.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,437 of 12,429
I'm seriously considering selling my LCD-4 and keeping the VC as my main headphone, with just my modded HD800 as backup for when I need (you know, 'need') an open-back. I got these mainly because I wanted to motivate myself to spend more free time away from my desk. Music makes me look for a way to occupy my hands while I'm listening, unless I'm playing it. So I wanted my excuses to involve less bullshitting online and more cooking, making things, etc. and these have more than accomplished that already.

I really think the pad flipping is a huge plus here. No one sound or presentation can do everything or suit everyone. My best guess is if he thought they were harsh, he must have had the auteur pads on. With the auteur pads I hear as much ambient detail as I've heard with anything besides the HD800. Like the HD800, that doesn't work for everything, and track depending it can be a little harsh. But for the stuff it works for, it's amazing. I actually heard some details stand out really crisp that I hadn't heard before with either the HD800 or LCD4. The universe pads take some of that ambient detail away, in exchange for making everything across the board enjoyable to listen to. That said, if the hybrid pads get anywhere near keeping that ambient detail while smoothing the highs on harsher tracks, I'd never feel the urge to take them off.

I'm curious if there's any sort of consensus how advanced the VC is over the Eikon in pure technicalities, as it's been awhile since I've heard one now. I find myself still missing my memory of the sweet tone that it had, but also suspect it might not hold up if I were to A-B it now, like it did when I was comparing it against an LCD-3.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,438 of 12,429
I'm seriously considering selling my LCD-4 and keeping the VC as my main headphone, with just my modded HD800 as backup for when I need (you know, 'need') an open-back. I got these mainly because I wanted to motivate myself to spend more free time away from my desk. Music makes me look for a way to occupy my hands while I'm listening, unless I'm playing it. So I wanted my excuses to involve less bullshitting online and more cooking, making things, etc. and these have more than accomplished that already.

I really think the pad flipping is a huge plus here. No one sound or presentation can do everything or suit everyone. My best guess is if he thought they were harsh, he must have had the auteur pads on. With the auteur pads I hear as much ambient detail as I've heard with anything besides the HD800. Like the HD800, that doesn't work for everything, and track depending it can be a little harsh. But for the stuff it works for, it's amazing. I actually heard some details stand out really crisp that I hadn't heard before with either the HD800 or LCD4. The universe pads take some of that ambient detail away, in exchange for making everything across the board enjoyable to listen to. That said, if the hybrid pads get anywhere near keeping that ambient detail while smoothing the highs on harsher tracks, I'd never feel the urge to take them off.

I'm curious if there's any sort of consensus how advanced the VC is over the Eikon in pure technicalities, as it's been awhile since I've heard one now. I find myself still missing my memory of the sweet tone that it had, but also suspect it might not hold up if I were to A-B it now, like it did when I was comparing it against an LCD-3.

I'm not particularly good at describing the qualities of headphones and have only dabbled in the higher end stuff in the past year, starting with the ZMF Eikon which I have enjoyed a lot. I've had the VC for just over a week now and I think it clearly outclasses the Eikon in pure technicalities. On first listen I thought I heard things in songs that I hadn't noticed in songs before... Went back to the Eikon and those parts are still there they just blend more together and are harder to pick out. For now I prefer the Universe pads on the VC, I find it brings the tone a bit more towards what I like about the Eikon, but the VC effortlessly brings out more detail and sounds less congested without ever getting harsh.

Even though they have a different tonality to them I think the VC is technically better and I would guess most people would prefer it over the Eikon.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,439 of 12,429
Even though they have a different tonality to them I think the VC is technically better and I would guess most people would prefer it over the Eikon.

FWIW I also have both Eikon and VC and I agree with your overall commentary. While they are both lovely, the VC is a real step up IMHO.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,440 of 12,429
FWIW I also have both Eikon and VC and I agree with your overall commentary. While they are both lovely, the VC is a real step up IMHO.

I am in the same boat and this is why I decided to get the VC. I really like my Eikons, but I would want a closed back that keeps the strengths of the Eikon, but is more technically capable. Now I am just waiting for them to get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back