ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #196 of 12,512
I told @Torq that I am still perfecting our finish - we may fill the grain a little more, although I always love to feel the texture of the wood if organic and natural feeling. The more quartersawn the wood the more banding and chatoyance it has. That set may be just off quarter, slightly rift, still very very nice!

Was up pondering what 300b tubes I should buy for the Glenn 300b I picked up (really which ones? They are all so expensive I have to pick just one set!) and decided to take some measurements since we just finished our first week making production/review sets of the closed Verite. We didn't really make any tweaks to the sound since CanJam London, but I do think that things are going more smoothly and that the FR is totally set so I wanted to post some graphs.

As usual these are taken with our AP system. AECM206>AP1701>AP515 audio analyzer

EDIT: This is Diffuse Field Compensation

Universe Solid Lambskin (dotted) Vs auteur solid Lambskin (solid)
Hypothetically, the auteur hybrid pads with suede on the earside and lambskin on the other parts, should make the bass very close to flat and retain the treble of the auteur pads. Measurements when I get those done soon!

Universe Perf on Verite (dotted) VS Universe Solid on Verite Closed (solid)

Verite Pads perf (dotted) on Verite VS auteur pads on Verite Closed (solid)

To me - the closed retains the texture and ease of the open Verite, while ofcourse giving isolation, but also being a touch more "alive" as the upper treble is slightly more elevated in that 8 to 10k area. They both come across as very organic sounding, with forward mids and accentuated 3d space, overall the open Verite is a touch more "lush."

The last thing that was holding me up in tuning the closed was making sure that the sense of space and "three-dee-ed-ness" was retained from the open. The 3d space took a lot of airflow, damping, and driver placement changes to get to the final tuning. Ofcourse when I started tuning I thought I could just mimic the driver placement from the open and get the same thing, I was totally wrong! The driver is actually not angled like the open, but the airflow is completely different in where baffle ports and vents are located. Also - the cups are machined to 110mm diameter whereas all our other headphones are machined to 108. I know it may seem like 2mm isn't a lot, but it makes all the difference in a closed headphone.

Excited for everyone to start hearing it in the coming weeks!

I'm glad to see serious care about craftsmanship everytime you make a new design!! The industry needs you!

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #197 of 12,512
I can’t get the Verite C out of my head! I want to listen to it now! Lol... The last time I had this feeling for a headphone was the RAAL SR1A and before that the First time I’d heard a ZMF headphone (it was @Torqs Verite) which led me to buying the Aeolus, and falling in love with everything about that headphone, which led to the purchase of the Verite shortly after! Needless to say, I want my own set yesterday:wink: lol. Hopefully my idea for my Verite C works out, @zach915m likes the idea, and I’m pretty stoked for it! I don’t want to ruin any spoilers...but if you know me...I have a thing for a particular visual... =p

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #198 of 12,512
I can’t get the Verite C out of my head! I want to listen to it now! Lol... The last time I had this feeling for a headphone was the RAAL SR1A and before that the First time I’d heard a ZMF headphone (it was @Torqs Verite) which led me to buying the Aeolus, and falling in love with everything about that headphone, which led to the purchase of the Verite shortly after! Needless to say, I want my own set yesterday:wink: lol. Hopefully my idea for my Verite C works out, @zach915m likes the idea, and I’m pretty stoked for it! I don’t want to ruin any spoilers...but if you know me...I have a thing for a particular visual... =p

Does your idea for the Verite C include a different wood option? :p

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #200 of 12,512
There are a lot of cable upgrade available for the Verite C on ZMF's shop site. Which one will you choose ?

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #201 of 12,512
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #204 of 12,512
Received a shipping email tonight from ZMF. I wonder what it could be?!?

giphy.gif

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #205 of 12,512
Was up pondering what 300b tubes I should buy for the Glenn 300b I picked up (really which ones? They are all so expensive I have to pick just one set!)

You only need one set. :) Takatsuki 300b.

1430974996_ta-300b.jpg

Man I'm still burning my Verite Pheasantwood and you're tempting with Verite C.

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #206 of 12,512
Is it just me or the plain wood looks a bit plain?.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #207 of 12,512
To anyone who's getting these and and has an Atticus- could I please get some quick impressions of how they compare to one another? I use my closed headphones only at work so if I got this I would be replacing them... And idk, as much as I love my Verite open I wouldn't say it's a replacement for the Atticus per se.... Would love to hear what people's thoughts on the matter are though!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #208 of 12,512
Is it just me or the plain wood looks a bit plain?.
I bet they don't look plain, in person. :wink: To really understand the beauty of any ZMF wood headphone, you have to see them in person.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #209 of 12,512
I bet they don't look plain, in person. :wink: To really understand the beauty of any ZMF wood headphone, you have to see them in person.
It's super true. What a lot of cameras fail to capture is the reflective properties a lot of these wood grains have. For example, the teak Auteurs absolutely GLOW under the right lighting however it's an effect that's almost impossible to photograph!

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #210 of 12,512
To anyone who's getting these and and has an Atticus- could I please get some quick impressions of how they compare to one another? I use my closed headphones only at work so if I got this I would be replacing them... And idk, as much as I love my Verite open I wouldn't say it's a replacement for the Atticus per se.... Would love to hear what people's thoughts on the matter are though!

I just received my review set of the Vérité C today, one day early (whoo hoo), I’ll be comparing them to the Vérité, Aeolus and Atticus. Early impressions, with zero burn in is very positive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back