ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #182 of 12,524
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #183 of 12,524
short impressions from a hangout at @Torq 's place and the Verite C. Really liked it. I actually think I prefer the tonal balance of the C more than the open which I own. Granted the pads were different (Verite C with stock leather pads and Verite Open using BE2 and Suede pads lately) and pads do make quite a big difference in how I hear things with ZMFs. The C sounded quite open for a closed-back -- on par with the Elegia which I used to own and Stellia, which I've tried a couple times now. I didn't listen to Stellia today, but I imagine they are both quite neck and neck for me for best closed back.

The Wood is beautiful. The pads make the headphone stick out quite a bit so it is a weird one to be walking around outside with, but for indoor use, they would be nice.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #184 of 12,524
I love the banding in the wood. It's like looking at the cloud bands on Jupiter. That is what I want for my pair.

I told @Torq that I am still perfecting our finish - we may fill the grain a little more, although I always love to feel the texture of the wood if organic and natural feeling. The more quartersawn the wood the more banding and chatoyance it has. That set may be just off quarter, slightly rift, still very very nice!

Was up pondering what 300b tubes I should buy for the Glenn 300b I picked up (really which ones? They are all so expensive I have to pick just one set!) and decided to take some measurements since we just finished our first week making production/review sets of the closed Verite. We didn't really make any tweaks to the sound since CanJam London, but I do think that things are going more smoothly and that the FR is totally set so I wanted to post some graphs.

As usual these are taken with our AP system. AECM206>AP1701>AP515 audio analyzer

EDIT: This is Diffuse Field Compensation

Universe Solid Lambskin (dotted) Vs auteur solid Lambskin (solid)
Hypothetically, the auteur hybrid pads with suede on the earside and lambskin on the other parts, should make the bass very close to flat and retain the treble of the auteur pads. Measurements when I get those done soon!
Closed_a_vs_closed_U.jpg
Universe Perf on Verite (dotted) VS Universe Solid on Verite Closed (solid)
V_cl_U_vs_v_Ver_U.jpg
Verite Pads perf (dotted) on Verite VS auteur pads on Verite Closed (solid)
V_cl_aut_vs_v_Ver_P.jpg

To me - the closed retains the texture and ease of the open Verite, while ofcourse giving isolation, but also being a touch more "alive" as the upper treble is slightly more elevated in that 8 to 10k area. They both come across as very organic sounding, with forward mids and accentuated 3d space, overall the open Verite is a touch more "lush."

The last thing that was holding me up in tuning the closed was making sure that the sense of space and "three-dee-ed-ness" was retained from the open. The 3d space took a lot of airflow, damping, and driver placement changes to get to the final tuning. Ofcourse when I started tuning I thought I could just mimic the driver placement from the open and get the same thing, I was totally wrong! The driver is actually not angled like the open, but the airflow is completely different in where baffle ports and vents are located. Also - the cups are machined to 110mm diameter whereas all our other headphones are machined to 108. I know it may seem like 2mm isn't a lot, but it makes all the difference in a closed headphone.

Excited for everyone to start hearing it in the coming weeks!

_DSC2787-2.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC2984-2.JPG
    _DSC2984-2.JPG
    631.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #185 of 12,524
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #186 of 12,524
I told @Torq that I am still perfecting our finish - we may fill the grain a little more, although I always love to feel the texture of the wood if organic and natural feeling. The more quartersawn the wood the more banding and chatoyance it has. That set may be just off quarter, slightly rift, still very very nice!

Was up pondering what 300b tubes I should buy for the Glenn 300b I picked up (really which ones? They are all so expensive I have to pick just one set!) and decided to take some measurements since we just finished our first week making production/review sets of the closed Verite. We didn't really make any tweaks to the sound since CanJam London, but I do think that things are going more smoothly and that the FR is totally set so I wanted to post some graphs.

As usual these are taken with our AP system. AECM206>AP1701>AP515 audio analyzer

EDIT: This is Diffuse Field Compensation

Universe Solid Lambskin (dotted) Vs auteur solid Lambskin (solid)
Hypothetically, the auteur hybrid pads with suede on the earside and lambskin on the other parts, should make the bass very close to flat and retain the treble of the auteur pads. Measurements when I get those done soon!

Universe Perf on Verite (dotted) VS Universe Solid on Verite Closed (solid)

Verite Pads perf (dotted) on Verite VS auteur pads on Verite Closed (solid)

To me - the closed retains the texture and ease of the open Verite, while ofcourse giving isolation, but also being a touch more "alive" as the upper treble is slightly more elevated in that 8 to 10k area. They both come across as very organic sounding, with forward mids and accentuated 3d space, overall the open Verite is a touch more "lush."

The last thing that was holding me up in tuning the closed was making sure that the sense of space and "three-dee-ed-ness" was retained from the open. The 3d space took a lot of airflow, damping, and driver placement changes to get to the final tuning. Ofcourse when I started tuning I thought I could just mimic the driver placement from the open and get the same thing, I was totally wrong! The driver is actually not angled like the open, but the airflow is completely different in where baffle ports and vents are located. Also - the cups are machined to 110mm diameter whereas all our other headphones are machined to 108. I know it may seem like 2mm isn't a lot, but it makes all the difference in a closed headphone.

Excited for everyone to start hearing it in the coming weeks!

Those closed Verite look soooo good! Eager to finally audition them on GOTL and GEL3N!!!
ZMFestivus cannot arrive fast enough :wink:

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #187 of 12,524
If the slight rift sawing gives it more of a banding pattern rather than thin stripes, it's what I would prefer. It looks great. Gives it more character in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #188 of 12,524
Got to try the Verite C today! I can confirm for me at least that these are a definite buy! The ones I tried were monkey pod, felt lighter than a Ziricote Verite. They are very similar to the standard Verite, with only a little bit of soundstage loss... I honestly wanted to listen longer! They are fantastic sounding, at least for me, also to note they only had around 56hrs of burn-in time. Now I can’t stop thinking of them lol...

In which way was there a soundstage loss....the width, depth or "three-dee-ed-ness" (I like that term)?

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #189 of 12,524
20190824_133936.jpg

Excuse the mobile phone quality and mess behind the scenes.
@Torq 's loaner Verite C in Monkeypod | My Verite open in Mahogany | @Darthpool 's Aeolus in Ziricote

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #190 of 12,524
So... if they're very similar to the open Verite, with little bit of soundstage loss - why are they a definite buy for you, when you already got the open?!
Asking, because I already have the Verite open...
@Torq nailed it...sometimes I need isolation/I don’t want to disrupt others. Also, they sound fantastic (I don’t know why but I really like that word right now, it’s fun to say out loud too, ha!). I think these are awesome for anyone deciding on a Verite but needing/preferring closed backs, they now will have an option.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #191 of 12,524
In which way was there a soundstage loss....the width, depth or "three-dee-ed-ness" (I like that term)?
Hmm...going from memory but my first instinct is to say width and depth...but I also want to say it wasn’t enough for me to “miss” it if that makes sense... the “3-dee-ed-ness” was still there...I might have to pester @Torq for more head time

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #192 of 12,524
Hmm...going from memory but my first instinct is to say width and depth...but I also want to say it wasn’t enough for me to “miss” it if that makes sense... the “3-dee-ed-ness” was still there...I might have to pester @Torq for more head time
Did you have a preference.....open vs closed? For me I don’t need a high end closed, but thought it might be a nice alternative as long as the sound doesn’t suffer.

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #193 of 12,524
Did you have a preference.....open vs closed? For me I don’t need a high end closed, but thought it might be a nice alternative as long as the sound doesn’t suffer.
If I didn’t have a use case for closed I would go with open back. But I do, so I’m going to have both in my stable of headphones, which is actually going to be shrinking here shortly, as I’ve found my RAAL SR1a, Verite and Aeolus (plus a couple other headphones) cover majority of my listening time/use cases. It will be hard to let some of them go, but better to have them in homes that will use them and not just sitting on a wall =)

Back on topic, I would go with Verite open over Closed generally, but this once again is based off a short listen, on a pair that wasn’t fully baked :wink: (56+- hrs of burn in). But, I would use the Verite C more than my other closed backs I have a feeling.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #194 of 12,524
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #195 of 12,524
I'd be more than willing to rid ZMF or its customers of not one, but any or all, unwanted Verite Closed. So, if you don't want it, just let me know. I'll PM you my address :D.
I have the Eikon for closed-back goodness, and my enjoyment from that headphones' performance compared to the Verite is a beautiful pedigree of aural diversity. Thus, my decision for the next ZMF headphone I purchase (and yes, there will be one) will be something that will massage my eardrums with lovingly luscious tunes in ways that the Eikon and Verite do not.
Can't wait to hear them in Chicago, though! Woohoo!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back