ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 9, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #10,876 of 12,549
Hello, I just bought a Verite Closed during the Hot Cup sale, and was wondering what a good portable DAC/amp pairing would be. By portable I mean I would like to be something I can pack when I travel or visit a friends house.

Currently my only DAC/Amp is the iFi Gryphon, but from what I've read the VC is best served by tube or tube like sound, so from a cursory analysis the only portable like options I found were the HiFiMan EF400 R2R DAC/Amp, XDUOO TA-26 or a Woo Audio WA8.

The Schiit Lyr also seems an attractive proposition since it will operate even without tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #10,877 of 12,549
Hello, I just bought a Verite Closed during the Hot Cup sale, and was wondering what a good portable DAC/amp pairing would be. By portable I mean I would like to be something I can pack when I travel or visit a friends house.

Currently my only DAC/Amp is the iFi Gryphon, but from what I've read the VC is best served by tube or tube like sound, so from a cursory analysis the only portable like options I found were the HiFiMan EF400 R2R DAC/Amp, XDUOO TA-26 or a Woo Audio WA8.

The Schiit Lyr also seems an attractive proposition since it will operate even without tubes.
Maybe the EF400 could be considered transportable but, IMO, the TA 26 is firmly in desktop orbit and isn't it just an amp?
The Woo Audio WA8 is transportable and comes well recommended for the VCs. In fact, I would have loved to try this unit but there is no UK distributor. I wasn't prepared to buy from USA with import taxes etc without hearing first.

Out of interest, how do you find your Gryphon with the VCs?
I went with the IFI IDSD Signature and am happy with the sound with my VCs as a portable rig. They both fit in the Seahorse case. I preferred it to the Diablo which I found dry and less smooth. I've never heard the Gryphon but my understanding is that it is tuned similarly to Diablo.
So, the Signature might be worth a look as it's a bit warmer. You do lose the BT of the Gryphon if that matters.
As I use it for watching Netflix as well as listening to music in my campervan, I liked the Xbass and 3D buttons for movies. You lose these with the Diablo.

At home, my Burson C3XR is lovely with my Elites but I wouldn't want to cart it around with me even though it is quite small.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #10,878 of 12,549
Hey! I am waiting on the VC to arrive, assume it'll be two weeks to a month. Can't really provide much comparison between different DAC sound signatures as the Gryphon is the only one I've owned; bought it to use with the Stellias I ended up returning (for some reason they just didn't seem different enough from the Buds 2 Pro to me to warrant the money).

Also noticed Woo Audio has the WA7 Fireflies Gen. 3 which might be an option (transportable, though not portable).

Sep 9, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #10,879 of 12,549
Hey! I am waiting on the VC to arrive, assume it'll be two weeks to a month. Can't really provide much comparison between different DAC sound signatures as the Gryphon is the only one I've owned; bought it to use with the Stellias I ended up returning (for some reason they just didn't seem different enough from the Buds 2 Pro to me to warrant the money).
I would give your Gryphon a try when the VCs arrive. Nothing to lose and it would help to know how it sounds in terms of how it might be deficient for you.
By the way, I have the little xDSD and the Signature was a good step up.

Have to say, if I could have found a WA8 in the UK, I think I might have ended up with that given the comments about its pairing with the VCs.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #10,880 of 12,549
Maybe the EF400 could be considered transportable but, IMO, the TA 26 is firmly in desktop orbit and isn't it just an amp?
The Woo Audio WA8 is transportable and comes well recommended for the VCs. In fact, I would have loved to try this unit but there is no UK distributor. I wasn't prepared to buy from USA with import taxes etc without hearing first.

Out of interest, how do you find your Gryphon with the VCs?
I went with the IFI IDSD Signature and am happy with the sound with my VCs as a portable rig. They both fit in the Seahorse case. I preferred it to the Diablo which I found dry and less smooth. I've never heard the Gryphon but my understanding is that it is tuned similarly to Diablo.
So, the Signature might be worth a look as it's a bit warmer. You do lose the BT of the Gryphon if that matters.
As I use it for watching Netflix as well as listening to music in my campervan, I liked the Xbass and 3D buttons for movies. You lose these with the Diablo.

At home, my Burson C3XR is lovely with my Elites but I wouldn't want to cart it around with me even though it is quite small.
I’ll second the recommendation of the signature as good portable option for the VCs.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #10,881 of 12,549
So, feeling grateful to have scored these and will be going to CanJam SoCal in a week, BUT... anyone have any favorite amp (tube or solid state) or dac recommendations? Thanks in advance!
When I was at the CanJam in Chicago I wanted to audition tube amps (was using MJ2 hybrid at the time). I fell in love with the HA-6A and was able to audition all of the amps there with my VC's. Zach, Bevin and the ZMF folks had a great setup there with 7 or 8 different tube amps. I ended up purchasing the HA-6A after the show when I got back.

I'm still thrilled with the purchase. I use KT88 tubes instead of the EL34 (switch in the back) and ECC802S in the 12AU7 slots. It's very versatile with the impedance options and the ability to switch between triode and ultralinear with the push of a button in real time. I haven't had a chance to listen to the HA-3A yet however. Hope it helps.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #10,882 of 12,549
I've been looking into finally getting a tube amp to pair with my headphones, specifically my VC's (and Atriums in the future).
Anyone have experience with Kenzie OG? I know ZMF bundle Cayin amps with their headphones also. I've been trying to read as many reviews of the Kenzie, the HA-6A and the new HA-3A as I can find. There aren't too many HA-6A and 3A reviews. Feliks Euforia is another option I've been looking into

Lets say I just went with the HA-3A and bundled it with a new pair of Atriums. Are there features I'd be missing out on versus going with a HA-6A, other than sound differences? Would I have the same tube rolling options for both amps?
I have two Kenzies, an OG rev 2 and an Ovation rev 1. They are both amazing with the VC. The Kenzie in general is a slightly warm, euphonic sounding amp. It doesn't lack for technical ability, but it's real calling card is it's smooth, warm sound signature. I personally love the pairing with the VC as I found the VC's upper mids and treble to have just a slightly hard/metallic nature, which the Kenzie tempered perfectly. The overall sound of the VC was by far the best on my Kenzie amps.

Where I found issue was with the Atrium. It's a much smoother, darker headphone vs the VC, and given that's the Kenzie's natural signature, it was a bit too much of a good thing for me. Dark on dark was a bit too dark. It wasn't bad by any means, but I kept longing for a bit more air and sparkle up top. Even after rolling all my available tubes, I could not get the Atrium exactly where I wanted it, hence using an MZ2 amp for it. But for the VC, Auteur, and Atticus, I found the Kenzie sounds best.

Sometimes synergy is tough with ZMFs, you'll get one amp that kills it with one specific set, but not with another. It's a juggling act for sure. But overall the Kenzie amps are awesome, and definitely worth a shot if you own high ohm headphones. I'd only caution against one if you prefer a neutrally tuned amp. There's a natural warmth to the tube types the Kenzie uses so it's on the warmer, more euphonic side of things compared to solid state, or even the Pendant based amps. Another thing to consider with the Kenzie is it's not the most powerful amp for planars. It runs dynamic headphones easily, but it's only good for very efficient planars. Don't bother with an HE6 or Susavara.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #10,883 of 12,549
I have two Kenzies, an OG rev 2 and an Ovation rev 1. They are both amazing with the VC. The Kenzie in general is a slightly warm, euphonic sounding amp. It doesn't lack for technical ability, but it's real calling card is it's smooth, warm sound signature. I personally love the pairing with the VC as I found the VC's upper mids and treble to have just a slightly hard/metallic nature, which the Kenzie tempered perfectly. The overall sound of the VC was by far the best on my Kenzie amps.

Where I found issue was with the Atrium. It's a much smoother, darker headphone vs the VC, and given that's the Kenzie's natural signature, it was a bit too much of a good thing for me. Dark on dark was a bit too dark. It wasn't bad by any means, but I kept longing for a bit more air and sparkle up top. Even after rolling all my available tubes, I could not get the Atrium exactly where I wanted it, hence using an MZ2 amp for it. But for the VC, Auteur, and Atticus, I found the Kenzie sounds best.

Sometimes synergy is tough with ZMFs, you'll get one amp that kills it with one specific set, but not with another. It's a juggling act for sure. But overall the Kenzie amps are awesome, and definitely worth a shot if you own high ohm headphones. I'd only caution against one if you prefer a neutrally tuned amp. There's a natural warmth to the tube types the Kenzie uses so it's on the warmer, more euphonic side of things compared to solid state, or even the Pendant based amps. Another thing to consider with the Kenzie is it's not the most powerful amp for planars. It runs dynamic headphones easily, but it's only good for very efficient planars. Don't bother with an HE6 or Susavara.
Can you share some listening impressions in terms of how the Kenzie OG rev 2 compares to the Ovation rev 1 on your VCs? I am trying to choose between these two amps for purchase. I listen mainly to rock and bluesy country.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #10,884 of 12,549

Really appreciate your input. I'm thinking for my first tube amp I'll probably go with the HA-6A or the 3A bundled with my Atriums (maybe even during this year's ZMF November if I find "the one") when I order them, and do some tube rolling just for the fun of it. Will eventually end up getting a Kenzie in the future Im sure for my VC's because it sounds like what I'm looking for.

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #10,885 of 12,549

What ones did you get?

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #10,887 of 12,549
DAC/Amp or which Verite Closed?

DAC/Amp haven't decided yet but probably going for WA8. Going to see if there's any places that demo here (CO).

As for Verite Closed, the Nightcap.
I meant the headphone! That's funny, Nightcap was my 2nd fav! I got Lexicon. Congrats!

Sep 9, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10,889 of 12,549
Can you share some listening impressions in terms of how the Kenzie OG rev 2 compares to the Ovation rev 1 on your VCs? I am trying to choose between these two amps for purchase. I listen mainly to rock and bluesy country.
Assuming the same output impedance outputs are used (say 300ohm on both), they're very very similar sonically. Same overall tonality, warm and smooth sounding with good overall performance. Where the Ovation pulls ahead slightly is in refinement. Where a note on the OG might have the slightest rasp or roughness to the tone, the Ovation is smoother but also sounding more detailed, if that makes sense. It's overall resolution is higher by a slight degree. Nothing major, mind you, but it's there if you do some critical listening. I think it's due to the better transformers in the Ovation. The Ovation is a beast, it's so much heavier than it looks. The OG isn't light, but side by side you can feel the extra weight of those giant transformers.

Another area the Ovation excels in is flexibility. You have five output impedance taps, from 8 to 300ohm, which lets you fine tune the sound to your preference. The OG only has 2 (either 32/300 or 8/100). I wasn't sure how important the extra taps were, but when I was working from home for awhile and had both amps set up at once, the added taps from the Ovation were much appreciated, especially when using a wide variety of headphones. If you only have 300ohm dynamics, it's not that important. But if you have a wide range of sets you rotate, it's very useful. For example my OG is a 32/300 version, and Focals need a lower output impedance IMO, they sounded a bit underdamped and bloated on the OG. But on the Ovation's 8ohm tap they were awesome. Oddly my Grado sounded great on the 32ohm tap of both, so you really do need to test each headphone individually to determine viability.

If cost and size/weight aren't an issue, the Ovation is worth the extra cost. Especially if you have different ohm headphones. But if cost is important, and especially if it's mainly for 300ohm cans, the OG is super close in performance and plenty good.

PS - the stepped attenuator of the Ovation is a nice upgrade over the regular unit in the OG. It ramps up volume more gradually so you have a more useful range. With my ZMFs I tend to be around 11-12 oclock on the knob, but with the OG I can't even get to 9 without blowing my eardrums out haha. There is no channel imbalance issues so to me it's not important, but it's worth noting.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #10,890 of 12,549
Was looking for something that would match Kennerton Rognir Blue Stabilized so I was between the Windlass and Nightcap. Windlass sadly was sold out so that was that.
My absolute favorite though is last year's blue stabilized.
Very cool! I be that looks great. Seems we have similar taste - I was a fan of Windlass as well. The aged copper with the color mix was ultimately what sold me on the Lexicons though. Huge fan of the aged copper look and I love the way that looks on the Atriums. Don't have a set of those, but would love to see a stabilized Atrium with aged copper.

Curious to hear what you think if you get the WA8! I own the Diablo and it's my only portable, so I'll report back once the VCs are in if people are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back