ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #10,696 of 12,524
@SlothRock nailed it. :)

I can't help but wonder how an Atrium Closed will complement the VC. But, on the whole, I'm pretty smitten with my Blackwood VC's. I use my 800S mostly for gaming, and enjoying some instrumentals. But the VC gets the majority of head time.

I'm chillin in bed with them at this second.
VC + OTL = basically sex.

It's basically the Goldilocks cans for me, and I honestly haven't been bothered by gear acquisition syndrome for awhile now.
Except for when Zach does his magic... $_$
damn now i wanna try an OTL. Currently have ZDT jr (which zach has previously mentioned as a good amp). What's a good OTL amp at low price? I've been thinking about waiting for whatever zmf comes out with but that's gonna be a while and likely pretty expensive?!

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #10,697 of 12,524
@SlothRock nailed it. :)

I can't help but wonder how an Atrium Closed will complement the VC. But, on the whole, I'm pretty smitten with my Blackwood VC's. I use my 800S mostly for gaming, and enjoying some instrumentals. But the VC gets the majority of head time.

VC + OTL = basically sex

It's basically the Goldilocks cans for me, and I honestly haven't been bothered by gear acquisition syndrome for awhile now.
Except for when Zach does his magic... $_$
Oookay then. Just doesn’t get any liquids on the drivers. I don’t think the warranty covers that.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #10,698 of 12,524
damn now i wanna try an OTL. Currently have ZDT jr (which zach has previously mentioned as a good amp). What's a good OTL amp at low price? I've been thinking about waiting for whatever zmf comes out with but that's gonna be a while and likely pretty expensive?!
Bottlehead Crack with speedball or Eufonika H5 with Miflex caps upgrade. Which ever one is easier to get

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #10,699 of 12,524
Bottlehead Crack with speedball or Eufonika H5 with Miflex caps upgrade. Which ever one is easier to get
Second this.

If you can swing the budget, Bottlehead Crackatwoa. Otherwise the Crack w/ Speedball is still one of the best bang for buck amps out there (so long as you have 300 Ohm+ cans). It's also a great complement to a more neutral solid state amp.

Plus, your username (@TjPhysicist) leads me to believe you may very much enjoy the process of assembling a kit. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #10,700 of 12,524
Second this.

If you can swing the budget, Bottlehead Crackatwoa. Otherwise the Crack w/ Speedball is still one of the best bang for buck amps out there (so long as you have 300 Ohm+ cans). It's also a great complement to a more neutral solid state amp.

Plus, your username (@TjPhysicist) leads me to believe you may very much enjoy the process of assembling a kit. :wink:
i was actually gonna go for a used one. I don't know how to solder, i have been meaning to learn...how hard is it to learn by assembling the crack?

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #10,701 of 12,524
i was actually gonna go for a used one. I don't know how to solder, i have been meaning to learn...how hard is it to learn by assembling the crack?
For many (if not most) Crack owners, it's their first time seriously trying to solder. It was my first time (not ever, but earnestly) soldering and assembling together an amp as well. Bottlehead even has a video guide for newbies. You'll figure it out no problem.

Plus, there's a whole lot more satisfaction in DIY audio which you obtain only after building your own components. :D

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #10,702 of 12,524
Plus, there's a whole lot more satisfaction in DIY audio which you obtain only after building your own components. :D
This is very true, plus you can fix it yourself if something breaks and there is great support on the BHC forum, they have seen it all…

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #10,703 of 12,524
@SlothRock

VC + OTL = basically sex.
Borderline TMI :)

I’ve been using the Schiit Folkvangr lately with my VCs. I don’t know if it shares much in common with a typical OTL sound since it’s (I believe) WCF and capacitorless to boot, but I really am impressed how holographic and layered it sounds compared to my transformer coupled SET amp.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #10,704 of 12,524
I will soon take delivery of a pair of Verite Closed headphones out of a need for a closed back headphone to use in my campervan.
I am looking for recommendations for a great transportable DAC/amp to drive the Verite Closed.
I use an Ifi xDSD and this drives my Elites well enough as a portable rig but I doubt it will drive the VCs.
It won't be used on the go but it does need to be compact and easily transported in the camper.
As a point of reference I love the sound of my Elites through my Burson C3XR.
Can I achieve great SQ using the VCs with a more portable amp. My budget is around £1500 - £2000.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #10,705 of 12,524
I will soon take delivery of a pair of Verite Closed headphones out of a need for a closed back headphone to use in my campervan.
I am looking for recommendations for a great transportable DAC/amp to drive the Verite Closed.
I use an Ifi xDSD and this drives my Elites well enough as a portable rig but I doubt it will drive the VCs.
It won't be used on the go but it does need to be compact and easily transported in the camper.
As a point of reference I love the sound of my Elites through my Burson C3XR.
Can I achieve great SQ using the VCs with a more portable amp. My budget is around £1500 - £2000.
VCs are pretty sensitive even though they’re 300 ohms

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #10,709 of 12,524
I know I can probably get volume with the xDSD.
But can I improve the SQ by looking elsewhere?
I have a FIIO M11 Pro that puts out about 88 mW max into 300 ohms compared to the xDSD which puts out I believe around 48 mW into 300 ohms. In my experience the FIIO is lacking in impact compared to my table top amps, so I would be surprised if you couldn’t improve the sound substantially with a more powerful transportable amp.

Based on your budget I’d look at a Cayin C9 or Woo WA11

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #10,710 of 12,524
I have a FIIO M11 Pro that puts out about 88 mW max into 300 ohms compared to the xDSD which puts out I believe around 48 mW into 300 ohms. In my experience the FIIO is lacking in impact compared to my table top amps, so I would be surprised if you couldn’t improve the sound substantially with a more powerful transportable amp.
That's really useful information thanks.
Based on your budget I’d look at a Cayin C9 or Woo WA11
Cayin C9 would mean I need a DAC or would have to buy a player.
What would be advantage of streaming Tidal via my phone compared to streaming Tidal from a DAP?

Will have a look at WA11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back