ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 29, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #7,441 of 12,586
Hi, I purchased the Aeolus from a fellow here during my long waiting for VC to be made, the plan was to sell Aeolus after receive VC, but now I think I might change my mind, as they sounds quite differently, not as different as Arya vs VC, but Aeolus is just more relaxing and handle bad recording much better, more tolerant to sibilant compare to VC, and both Aeolus and VC pairs well with the tubes. My original plan was to have two audio chains and keep two headphones, Arya and VC was supposed to be the ones I keep, but now after I comparing 4 of them, the decision become so much harder than I expected... I feel each of them shines in their own way, so I might postpone the plan at least for a few months...
Thanks for your input - I guess each of them still bring something onto the table that you value them. Actually after getting the VC, I sold my LCD-X and Topping A90 as they are not getting much usage. Since zmf usually pairs well with tube amp, I wonder if I should give aeolus a try. The fact thay many claims the aeolus is more engaging is really something worth finding out.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #7,442 of 12,586
On Wednesdays in America, today in Germany, Bavaria:

448004A9-430F-4C4B-BAB0-FC970914F4D4_1_105_c.jpeg
88B64B2F-70A4-4C58-883E-E37263A718A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #7,444 of 12,586
Goddamn. I wish I could get a VC with Atticus/Aeolus "fun" tuning, or an Atticus with VC cups, because **** me these look pretty, especially compared to the Atticus which I'm honestly not that big a fan of, visually.

Yeah the VC aesthetics were a significant departure from the Eikon / Atticus. I’m surprised you don’t find the VC tuning to be “fun” though. Yeah the Atticus is warmer overall but the VC is still bass emphasized, and slams way harder.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #7,445 of 12,586
Yeah the VC aesthetics were a significant departure from the Eikon / Atticus. I’m surprised you don’t find the VC tuning to be “fun” though. Yeah the Atticus is warmer overall but the VC is still bass emphasized, and slams way harder.

Oh, I actually haven't heard the VC, can't audition them anywhere here and they're a bit out of my budget right now so I can't just order them and try them that way, either. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd enjoy them quite a lot, too, really just lamenting the fact that I can't get an Atticus (that I can afford) that looks like a VC, hahah.

The smooth finish is just so, so pleasant looking to me. Some of these look like friggin'... toffee or something.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #7,446 of 12,586
Actually I was about to say the same - VC to me is really fun to listen to, accompany with really good technicality. It is just pure enjoyment to listen to it. Again I have not listened to other zmf can and I am sure they shine through their characteristics..

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #7,447 of 12,586
My Atticus with leather Ori pads definitely slams harder than my VC with leather Universe pads (warmest pads). The VC goes lower, and rumbles more, but punch/slam goes to the Atticus for me. It's why i'm selling my VC and keeping the Atty.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #7,448 of 12,586
Goddamn. I wish I could get a VC with Atticus/Aeolus "fun" tuning, or an Atticus with VC cups, because **** me these look pretty, especially compared to the Atticus which I'm honestly not that big a fan of, visually.
i'm with you, i love the VC cups vs the Atticus/Eikon cups. I wish Zach would do a revised Atticus, V2 maybe, and cut the cups like the VC and use side venting if possible.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #7,449 of 12,586
My Atticus with leather Ori pads definitely slams harder than my VC with leather Universe pads (warmest pads). The VC goes lower, and rumbles more, but punch/slam goes to the Atticus for me. It's why i'm selling my VC and keeping the Atty.

I agree with you. Overall, I slightly prefer the Atticus over the VC even if the VC are better technically.

The VC are excellent headphones, but for my tastes they cannot touch the Atticus for the punch, the mids and the musical engagement.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #7,450 of 12,586
I agree with you. Overall, I slightly prefer the Atticus over the VC even if the VC are better technically.

The VC are excellent headphones, but for my tastes they cannot touch the Atticus for the punch, the mids and the musical engagement.
and the Atticus' technical ability isn't that that far behind the VC, which surprised me. i've actually been doing nonstop comparisons of all my ZMFs as i'll be selling a few units due to income changes. i expected the Atty to lag behind the VC on the technical side, and it does, but the gap isn't nearly as huge as i expected. Another surprise was how musical the VC actually is. i tend to give it a hard time as it's the most polite sounding ZMF to my ears. But man it was a riot to listen to, i wish i could keep it. but nothing can stop the Atticus fun train....

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #7,451 of 12,586
I agree the Atticus is a very special headphone, and I will never get rid of mine. However, the VC can be just as musical and then some, with the right chain. Hooked up to my RH-5 with certain tubes, my VC almost have planar like bass texture, speed and impact, that my Atticus just can't beat. As a result, I actually use my VC for bass heavy music and especially Electronica and I use my Atticus for acoustic stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #7,452 of 12,586
and the Atticus' technical ability isn't that that far behind the VC, which surprised me. i've actually been doing nonstop comparisons of all my ZMFs as i'll be selling a few units due to income changes. i expected the Atty to lag behind the VC on the technical side, and it does, but the gap isn't nearly as huge as i expected. Another surprise was how musical the VC actually is. i tend to give it a hard time as it's the most polite sounding ZMF to my ears. But man it was a riot to listen to, i wish i could keep it. but nothing can stop the Atticus fun train....

I agree, the Atticus are not that far behind the VC on the technical side. I'm not trying to say something negative about the VC because they are great headphones, but the Atticus are underrated and much better than what people think.

Aug 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #7,454 of 12,586
High end closed headphones make me a little sad, they're always noticably worse than their open back variants, and the price doesn't reflect that. Just how it is I guess. Trade isolation for sound quality.
I don't agree with that completely. sure some headphones that have open and closed variants have better open models. But ZMF specifically I wouldn't say the closed are worse than the open. The Atticus and Aeolus are very very similar to each other, with only a slight frequency shift to tell them apart. They even stage quite similarly. Same with the VO and VC. The Eikon and Auteur are not meant to be open/closed alternatives, and have dramatically different sound signatures, despite sharing the same driver. Those two you can't really compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back