ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #5,221 of 12,524
Thanks. That's helpful. I can see the D90 and the 789 as being analytical beasts. Since the 789 is so transparent, the experience you had could be mostly due to the D90. My guess is that the Bifrost 2 would be better, but until I try it, it's only theory.
I have also paired the 789 with a tube amp with great results. Others MMV.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #5,222 of 12,524
I have recently purchased a 2k copper zmf cable but if I'm to be honest I can't tell the difference Vs the zmf OFC cable on my VC. However I don't regret the purchase as I love the aesthetics of the cable, and actually plan to make a silver one myself, which on that note has anyone tried the DIY cable kit which zmf sells on their website? I'm keen but I have not done it before and I don't think they provide instructions....

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #5,223 of 12,524
I am really intrigued by the THX AAA 789 amp. It's got to be one of the best price/performance amps out there. Has anyone tried to pair it with a Bifrost 2 to drive the VC? I'd like to take this Amp out for a spin to see what it can do.
While I agree it's good overall in price/performance, it did nothing for me with any of the ZMFs so I sold it. Zach has mentioned before that the headphone output impedance is so low that it negatively affects the sound. I had the iFi Micro Black (which cost about the same for me used) and that was just so much better. As others have said, the 789 was just kind of sterile sounding in comparison to my other amps and lacked a feeling of body.

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #5,224 of 12,524
While I agree it's good overall in price/performance, it did nothing for me with any of the ZMFs so I sold it. Zach has mentioned before that the headphone output impedance is so low that it negatively affects the sound. I had the iFi Micro Black (which cost about the same for me used) and that was just so much better. As others have said, the 789 was just kind of sterile sounding in comparison to my other amps and lacked a feeling of body.

I have never heard the 789, but I owned an 887, and I totally agree with my VC it's really cold and flat sounding to my ears , I'm not sure how to explain it nor do I know why, but given they get rave reviews it was easy to sell on in the used mkt. My diy whammy with a fraction of the power sounds so good with the VC, I also have a FA-12 coming in , hopefully it pairs well with my zmfs

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #5,227 of 12,524
I'm tempted to get a pair of VCs but it would cost me 3200 $. Worth paying the extra 500 $ for import taxes ? Or am I better off getting a headphone that's actually worth 3K ?
Can't you buy it from one of the authorized European dealers? Or go to the used market ...

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5,229 of 12,524
Authorized EU sellers :

3330 $ - Poland
3200 $ - Denmark
3333 $ - Netherlands
3332 $ - Germany
3286 $ - France

and so on... My price of 3200 ordering directly from the US also includes a 3rd set of pads...
Speak to Headphone Auditions in Netherlands. That's where I got my ZMF VC Burl LTD from; he's excellent to deal with and will absolutely be cheaper than importing from US.

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,230 of 12,524
Authorized EU sellers :

3330 $ - Poland
3200 $ - Denmark
3333 $ - Netherlands
3332 $ - Germany
3286 $ - France

and so on... My price of 3200 ordering directly from the US also includes a 3rd set of pads...
With local distributor you don’t have to worry about repair and warranty as you can reach out to local distributor but if you buy direct then you have to work out with ZMF directly and ship it to US in case of any repair. Since the difference small so I would pay $100 extra to get it from local seller. just my $.02

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #5,232 of 12,524
Authorized EU sellers :

3330 $ - Poland
3200 $ - Denmark
3333 $ - Netherlands
3332 $ - Germany
3286 $ - France

For myself I like my VC’s better then my Stellia’s, the Stellia’s are 3k in the US plus tax so $3,217. My VC’s were $2,760 with the 3rd pad. Are you able to demo one?

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #5,234 of 12,524
I'm tempted to get a pair of VCs but it would cost me 3200 $. Worth paying the extra 500 $ for import taxes ? Or am I better off getting a headphone that's actually worth 3K ?

I don't think you should buy them directly from ZMF. Try to find them on the used market or from a vendor in Europe. For example, I'm in Canada and if I'm buying the stock version from ZMF, the total cost will be $3600 CAD. Here the resale value for the stock version of the VC is around $2800 CAD, so you lose $800 if you don't like them. I imagine that you would lose around the same amount of money in Europe because of the import taxes.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #5,235 of 12,524
I have recently purchased a 2k copper zmf cable but if I'm to be honest I can't tell the difference Vs the zmf OFC cable on my VC. However I don't regret the purchase as I love the aesthetics of the cable, and actually plan to make a silver one myself, which on that note has anyone tried the DIY cable kit which zmf sells on their website? I'm keen but I have not done it before and I don't think they provide instructions....
I am probably going to order a DIY set but haven't settled on which cable to get to match my VCs. Building a cable isn't hard. Just can be tedious. You'll solder max 8 joints (2 for L, 2 for R, 3 (SE) or 4 (BAL) amp termination). Pin out information is out there on the internet for ZMF/Audeze but iirc 1+ 3- on the mini 4pin xlr to headphone. I recommend a good temperature controlled solder station and a set of helping hands to clamp/hold things for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back