ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3,766 of 12,586
Does anyone have a DAC pairing that they really like in their chain with the VCs?

I’m considering moving away from my Chord gear and thinking a warmer Dac would go nicely with the VC’s.
If you want a warmer sound with VCs you most likely will want to look into an R2R design. Holo Spring, Denafrips, Audio GD etc...
Depending upon your budget you can also look into Lampizator, although their latest engine is not of a R2R design, it still has a clear, warm, sound with massive imaging and staging. Their older gear are R2R. I believe @zach915m enjoys some older R2R designs as well.

All of that being said, I used to own the Mojo, which is the only Chord product Ive actually heard for an extended amount of time. I found it to be quite warm. Too warm for me. How much of a Chord house sound is shared throughout their line I have no idea.

My Lampizator TRP(Tube Rollers Paradise) can take various tubes so I can adjust various aspects of the sound im getting by tube rolling.

0912202250 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,767 of 12,586
Does anyone have a DAC pairing that they really like in their chain with the VCs?

I’m considering moving away from my Chord gear and thinking a warmer Dac would go nicely with the VC’s.
I have used Metrum Onyx and currently using sonnet Morpheus and both have great synergy with ZMF. In fact in shows Zach would showcase Verite with these DACs. Both are R2R NOS and hence are warm and will definitely fit the requirement that you have.

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #3,768 of 12,586
If you want a warmer sound with VCs you most likely will want to look into an R2R design. Holo Spring, Denafrips, Audio GD etc...
Depending upon your budget you can also look into Lampizator, although their latest engine is not of a R2R design, it still has a clear, warm, sound with massive imaging and staging. Their older gear are R2R. I believe @zach915m enjoys some older R2R designs as well.

All of that being said, I used to own the Mojo, which is the only Chord product Ive actually heard for an extended amount of time. I found it to be quite warm. Too warm for me. How much of a Chord house sound is shared throughout their line I have no idea.

My Lampizator TRP(Tube Rollers Paradise) can take various tubes so I can adjust various aspects of the sound im getting by tube rolling.

0912202250 (1).jpg
Mojo is quite different as compared to other chord DAC. Non of the other chord DAC has that kind of warmth.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,769 of 12,586

I'm finding this synergy ZMF VC/ Blue Halo OTL/ Rockna Wavelight dac to be exactly what I was hoping for ..
Day 6 with the system and it just keeps getting better.

Here's a couple of reviews you might find helpful.

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rock...he information that I,DACs at its price point

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rockna-audio-wavelight-pre-dac-–-followup-by-mike-wright/

I found the direct comparison with a $5500 Briscati M3 and the review chose the $1200 less Wavelight. It punches way above its price.

I hope this helps you with your decision

Cheers

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3,770 of 12,586

Of course, I'll heartily recommend SW1X (another non-oversampling, tube based DAC). The Lampi DACs as MZ mentioned are also pretty sweet.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,771 of 12,586

0912202250 (1).jpg
LOVE the audio rack! Scandinavian Designs, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Seriously though, you used to have a real rack. Did you get rid of it? or is it a temporary setup?

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #3,772 of 12,586
LOVE the audio rack! Scandinavian Designs, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Seriously though, you used to have a real rack. Did you get rid of it? or is it a temporary setup?
The real audio rack has been retired to the garage. The cables were getting all tangled up, and due to size limitations the McIntosh receiver has living up on top, making it very risky to move it around to access the rear.

These pallets have wheels on them, so I can move them around as needed without fear of the whole thing come crashing down. The cables are also enjoying not being intertwined as well.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,773 of 12,586
I have used Metrum Onyx and currently using sonnet Morpheus and both have great synergy with ZMF. In fact in shows Zach would showcase Verite with these DACs. Both are R2R NOS and hence are warm and will definitely fit the requirement that you have.

+1 for R2R NOS dacs.

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,774 of 12,586
I had the R2R Holo Spring Dac for awhile now, and I have not thought about another dac since.

I don't spin vinyl anymore. Every thing is ripped to flac and I have some DSD stuff...so I am all digital.
I find digital a bit more edgier than analog so a warm dac that lends it self to rounding the edges on the notes to keep from being harsh is as good as it get for digital recordings.

I have heard many people describe the GS-X mk2 as a bit bright and edgy... I certainly hear nothing of the sort with the R2R dac.
The VC sounds great with it to my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3,775 of 12,586
The real audio rack has been retired to the garage. The cables were getting all tangled up, and due to size limitations the McIntosh receiver has living up on top, making it very risky to move it around to access the rear.

These pallets have wheels on them, so I can move them around as needed without fear of the whole thing come crashing down. The cables are also enjoying not being intertwined as well.

Amen brother....horizontal is the way to go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Easy access to switching cables , rolling tubes....everything.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #3,776 of 12,586
I'm finding this synergy ZMF VC/ Blue Halo OTL/ Rockna Wavelight dac to be exactly what I was hoping for ..

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rock...he information that I,DACs at its price point

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/rockna-audio-wavelight-pre-dac-–-followup-by-mike-wright/

I found the direct comparison with a $5500 Briscati M3 and the review chose the $1200 less Wavelight. It punches way above its price.

Cheers
My buddy Mikey aka OCD HiFi Guy on YouTube loves Rockna DACs

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #3,777 of 12,586
I had the R2R Holo Spring Dac for awhile now, and I have not thought about another dac since.

I don't spin vinyl anymore. Every thing is ripped to flac and I have some DSD stuff...so I am all digital.
I find digital a bit more edgier than analog so a warm dac that lends it self to rounding the edges on the notes to keep from being harsh is as good as it get for digital recordings.

I have heard many people describe the GS-X mk2 as a bit bright and edgy... I certainly hear nothing of the sort with the R2R dac.

I find the GS-X Mk2 to be the most transparent device I have ever owned. Any flaws in the recording or DAC or headphones are going to be shoved down your eardrums. Pair with a good R2R NOS DAC (I like the Metrum Pavane - there are many others out there) and it is fantastic. Not an amp to mate with a "typical" DS DAC that doesn't handle treble all that well. It will highlight every bit of edge or brightness or whatever that the DS DAC unit falls down on.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #3,778 of 12,586
Well, the day has finally arrived! I received my stabilized Verite Closed today! I haven't been this excited for anything since quarantine started. These have got to be one of the most gorgeous headphones I've ever seen. So far, I like the Universe pads a little more... But after using the Auteur with the perforated Auteur pads for so long, the solid pads that came with the Verite Closed feel a little stiff and claustrophobic. I'm sure I'll adjust though. I'll be back later to post impressions. For now, here's the pics!

IMG_20200911_133508.jpgIMG_20200911_133536.jpgIMG_20200911_161258.jpgIMG_20200911_161313.jpgIMG_20200911_161336.jpgIMG_20200911_161358.jpg

Thank you @zach915m for such an incredible product. They're truly a work of art.

0912202250 (1).jpg

Cheers
+1 for R2R NOS dacs.

Thanks! I’ll check all of those out.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #3,779 of 12,586
Amen brother....horizontal is the way to go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Easy access to switching cables , rolling tubes....everything.
Some of us do not have the room to go horizontal... :angry:

1602118607136.png

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #3,780 of 12,586
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back