ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Oct 1, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #2,446 of 2,544
I can only imagine how freaking amazing that combo sounds! That amp and tube set, is as good as it gets, and paired with the Ori, is endgame.

I have only used the EL34 tubes for a few weeks, but yeah, they sound fantastic and deserve all of the accolades that they get.
The Ori scales very well, it is just a really good sounding headphone and a very fun headphone.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,447 of 2,544
I am firmly in the "with all these damn cans hanging off my head, do I really still need my Ori's?" camp. Then when I sit and cozy up with them for a day or so, yeah I do!!!!!

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,448 of 2,544
I have only used the EL34 tubes for a few weeks, but yeah, they sound fantastic and deserve all of the accolades that they get.
The Ori scales very well, it is just a really good sounding headphone and a very fun headphone.

I used EL-34s years ago in big 2-channel amps. Other people went wild for the more powerful KT-88s--but I found EL-34s to be an ideal blend of resolution, soundstaging, that 3D tube thing, and slight (very pleasing) warmth.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #2,449 of 2,544
So the other night I compared the Ori to my friend's Aeolus w/Verite pads. Not the 1st time I've done so...but I needed a refresher.

What keeps amazing me is how, despite the overt design differences here (open vs closed; dynamic vs planar driver), what comes through so strongly is that wonderful ZMF house sound. Both headphones really make music, not just score points on sonic score cards. Bass on the Ori is classic crushing planar bass--but bass on the Aeolus is very good in every way. They both soundstage like champs. They both give lots of goodness in the mids & treble (though the higher up one goes, the less alike they sound).

But the strongest perception is how well voiced they are...how alike and how musical & pleasing that voicing is.

I'm in no danger of ever selling the Ori. I am definitely in danger of somehow procuring an Aeolus.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,450 of 2,544
I'm in no danger of ever selling the Ori. I am definitely in danger of somehow procuring an Aeolus.

Yeah, same here. If this happens, I'm telling my wife it's all your fault!

:wink: :) :wink:

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,451 of 2,544
So the other night I compared the Ori to my friend's Aeolus w/Verite pads. Not the 1st time I've done so...but I needed a refresher.

What keeps amazing me is how, despite the overt design differences here (open vs closed; dynamic vs planar driver), what comes through so strongly is that wonderful ZMF house sound. Both headphones really make music, not just score points on sonic score cards. Bass on the Ori is classic crushing planar bass--but bass on the Aeolus is very good in every way. They both soundstage like champs. They both give lots of goodness in the mids & treble (though the higher up one goes, the less alike they sound).

But the strongest perception is how well voiced they are...how alike and how musical & pleasing that voicing is.

Good stuff and I concur wholeheartedly, as my Ori gets just as much head time as my Aeolus. I am actually listening to my Ori, as I type this. :o2smile:

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,453 of 2,544
When I got the Ori, something about it turned me off. Always found the HD 650's adorned to my head instead and from time-to-time would give them another shot, but the treble did something very weird to offend my ears. Until... The selection sachet bundled with the ether cx gave me an urge to fiddle around and place the 'one-notch white filter' instead of the stock damping material over the driver, and what the actual hell.

How in the world is this even possible.

The WAY in which sound is reproduced is just brilliantly emphatic with the bass peering through the stillness and leaping out with a kind of monolithic brutalism. The whole aura of sound wraps around and feeds you with delicious, smooth sonic richness, leaping out at you but it never, ever reaches you. It's expressive but never bombarding. Very hard to describe and I love every bit of it.

On another note, does anyone have an image of the ear-side of the ori driver beneath the damping foam? I've seen Aornic's treble mod video and it looks a bit different from mine. It may, of course (and as usual) just be my eyes playing tricks with me. Thank you.

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #2,454 of 2,544
Happy Saturday! Rockin with my Ori today, and it's new cable, a Norne Draug 3. I have to say, this is a killer sounding pairing!
20191026_085828_zpsuyejf2of.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,455 of 2,544
I can't get enough of my Ori. :o2smile:
20191103_092233_zpszj47yqrv.jpg

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,456 of 2,544
I can't get enough of my Ori. :o2smile:
20191103_092233_zpszj47yqrv.jpg
Bro, when you posted this along with seeing your pic of the Ori in the post a picture of your headphone thread, it inspired me and I had to get some head time with these as it's been a while. Man, I completely forgot how great these sound. I've basically and solely been listening to the Aeolus non stop but wanted a different flavor. Man these are sooooo good. This is one planar that everyone should own as I couldn't possibly recommend it more then what I am. I highly recommend that everyone go out and at least give them a listen if you know someone who owns them. Once you listen, you'll be hooked and never go back to the dark side. Zach is like Midas, everything he touches turns to gold. Damn!!

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,457 of 2,544
Bro, when you posted this along with seeing your pic of the Ori in the post a picture of your headphone thread, it inspired me and I had to get some head time with these as it's been a while. Man, I completely forgot how great these sound. I've basically and solely been listening to the Aeolus non stop but wanted a different flavor. Man these are sooooo good. This is one planar that everyone should own as I couldn't possibly recommend it more then what I am. I highly recommend that everyone go out and at least give them a listen if you know someone who owns them. Once you listen, you'll be hooked and never go back to the dark side. Zach is like Midas, everything he touches turns to gold. Damn!!
Amen brother! With the right amp and dac, the Ori soar, and are insanely fun. They are my all time favorite, and that will never change.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,458 of 2,544

I know...the house sound stay intact with the Ori & Atticus...it is well worth having a ZMF planar and dynamic for sure...I rotate mine for morning listening every two weeks...this week started the Ori and i am enjoying the heck out of it.

Amen brother! With the right amp and dac, the Ori soar, and are insanely fun. They are my all time favorite, and that will never change.

Yep, they produce great sound when amped nice......and the fun scale is off the hook.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,459 of 2,544
I know...the house sound stay intact with the Ori & Atticus...it is well worth having a ZMF planar and dynamic for sure...I rotate mine for morning listening every two weeks...this week started the Ori and i am enjoying the heck out of it.

Yep, they produce great sound when amped nice......and the fun scale is off the hook.
I often feel like us Ori owners are part of some secret club, and rest just don't know what they are missing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Rock on fellow members!

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #2,460 of 2,544
I often feel like us Ori owners are part of some secret club, and rest just don't know what they are missing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Rock on fellow members!

I think a lot of the people who owned this headphone probably upgraded to another ZMF or another planar.

I am sure there are more than a few of us left though.

I am not sure if Zach still sells any of these or not, but I am afraid if I ever got rid of it..I would miss it too much, especially the way it presents the sub bass....

If I replaced it , I would like to do so with another ZMF closed planar:sunglasses:

I have been giving mine a spin with some new tubes.

There are some killer looking sets of Ori's in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back