ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #2,416 of 2,544
Is that what the output transformer is for? The amp does have a switch on the back for 8-16 and 4-6.3 ohms, but it seems to be for the speakers, at least that's what the sticker on the back says. Switching the switch up and down does seem to affect the headphone out slightly, the 8-16 setting seeming to be a bit louder. So maybe the impedance is being "transformed" into 8-16 or 4-6.3. The closer the output and input resistances the more power the amp puts out right? So it would make sense if the higher ohm setting was a bit louder. Must be what's happening

I'm getting a pair of aeon flow opens soon, not the closed unfortunately. So I'll be able to compare them a bit to see if the ori's are up to snuff with something similarly priced, even if they aren't too similar sound wise. I found my ori's for ~$550 used, and I'm certainly not disappointed. They feel like quite a step above 6xx's, nightowls, nighthawks, but I'm not sure how they compare with their similarly priced peers.
I owned the AFO (sold it) and currently own the Ori and in my humble opinion, the Ori just smokes the AFO in every way. But that’s me. Curious to see what your take between the 2 are.

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,417 of 2,544
I owned the AFO (sold it) and currently own the Ori and in my humble opinion, the Ori just smokes the AFO in every way. But that’s me. Curious to see what your take between the 2 are.
How did they compare for you? I was looking for something with a more relaxing and less dynamic sound overall to accompany my ori's. I love them, but the bass and treble can be fatiguing sometimes. Though I still want good bass, so the ole 600/650 just weren't going to cut it. I tried the nighthawk/nightowls too, but they are just had an odd tonality (nice for electronica though). I prefer my cheap little emu purplehearts over them.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,418 of 2,544
I
How did they compare for you? I was looking for something with a more relaxing and less dynamic sound overall to accompany my ori's. I love them, but the bass and treble can be fatiguing sometimes. Though I still want good bass, so the ole 600/650 just weren't going to cut it. I tried the nighthawk/nightowls too, but they are just had an odd tonality (nice for electronica though). I prefer my cheap little emu purplehearts over them.

I'm no expert on the AFOs (heard them for 15" at CanJam/NYC in 2018), but the music was quite familiar and I got the sound signature pretty quickly. I own (and love) an ormosia henryi Ori, so very familiar with its sound.

Based on what you post above, you might be the perfect candidate for the AFO. Its sonic profile is roughly comparable to the Ori (ie, slightly warm w/a musical character), but is a little less headphone in many ways: lighter, smaller, though still fitting pretty well/comfortably; bass is quite good but not as concussive as the Ori; I recall the treble being a bit more relaxed than the Ori (hardly a bright headphone); and the soundstaging more constrained than the Ori (despite being an open-back planar vs the closed-back Ori).

Overall, AFO is a bit less dramatic, resolving, and dynamic than the Ori. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,419 of 2,544
I used my Ori for the first time, since getting my Aeolus, and I can safely say, that the Ori hold their own.

The Gumby + Liquid Platinum, are a match made in heaven for the Ori, and are as fun as it gets. The Ori scale like crazy and love some power. Oh man that bass!!!!

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,420 of 2,544
I used my Ori for the first time, since getting my Aeolus, and I can safely say, that the Ori hold their own.

The Gumby + Liquid Platinum, are a match made in heaven for the Ori, and are as fun as it gets. The Ori scale like crazy and love some power. Oh man that bass!!!!

I've had the same basic experience (repeatedly). I listen to some other headphone, am totally impressed...then decide to check out the Ori again, 1st time in weeks/months. Usually thinking, "Well, this can't be as good as X HP." And every time, the Ori puts me right back on my heels w/that amazing bass, big soundstage, and musical sound. "Damn, this thing is good!"

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #2,421 of 2,544

Yep...bass is so damn much fun.

I've had the same basic experience (repeatedly). I listen to some other headphone, am totally impressed...then decide to check out the Ori again, 1st time in weeks/months. Usually thinking, "Well, this can't be as good as X HP." And every time, the Ori puts me right back on my heels w/that amazing bass, big soundstage, and musical sound. "Damn, this thing is good!"

Same thing here!

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #2,422 of 2,544
Yup, pretty much as described and expected. The afo's come with some treble dampening options (which also boost the bass a few db's), and I opted for the most dampening for now, the two notched white filters. I've also removed the grey foam circles in front the the ori's driver and left just the white foam square, which gives you more treble. It's nice that both these companies give you some easy diy options, I do love a little bit of tinkering. But since it's hard to compare two moving targets anything I say should be doubted and shunned. I've been listening mostly out of my elekit tube amp, and a little bit from the ss amp section of my yulong. Both cans do well on both amps, but they both sound better with the tubes.

The ori has a wider soundstage by a good amount (and maybe a little more verticality too?), where the aeons seem to have a bit of a dead zone in the center of the image, scanning from left to right skips a beat in between. The aeons are faster though, and seem to have faster and more precise imaging. I like the ori's presentation better, it's more cohesive and grand but the aeon's is quite nice. A decent step up from 6xx/650 in size too if I remember correctly.

The ori's bass certainly has more quantity, where the aeon's seems to have somewhat better texture/speed. The ori bass does seem better tuned to me though, and feels more percussive and realistic, but certainly emphasized. Again, the ori's win here for my taste, where the aeons again have some more technical prowess.

Ori's have more treble/upper mids overall, where the aeon concentrates more in that splashy cymbal area. Not bad, but it does seem a tad artificial and well, splashy. This reminds me of both the audioquest cans, the treble is relaxed except for some peaks for flavor. But the aeon does it much more tastefully. A little hot sauce on an overall creamy, relaxed set of cans. They are better for it, otherwise they would be boring, and I appreciate the overall laid-back and less fatiguing sound. Comparing mids is a bit beyond me, they both have nice mids. Vocals are great on both, as are guitars. Piano is a bit sharp on the aeons, probably due to that splashy peak.

Comfort wise the aeons beat even the audioquest cans, but aren't quite to the level of my bygone phillips shp9500's. But those always fell off my head, which isn't acceptable for this expensive stuff. The ori's are a level below in the comfort department, but I can't really complain about them. The pilot and lambchop pads do a good job of distributing the extra weight (almost 200 grams heavier than the aeons). The ori's are quite a bit more fatiguing sonically, which is really my only problem with them, even with all the dampening installed. Harsher music was beyond my grasp, and I couldn't listen as long as I've wanted too. The aeons are the counterpart that I've wanted, something for toe tapping casual listening. But I find myself coming along songs that absolutely demand the ori's attention, and I eventually gravitate towards them. If I had to chose, it would be the ori's in a heartbeat, they just provide that sense of awe. But then again tastes do change, and the aeons do have their merit...

Zach when is the new flagship semi-open planar coming out? I'd be a little scared for my wallet if he ever went for the same tuning but with a more technically proficient driver... :grimacing:

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,423 of 2,544
Well, I woke up early to spend the morning, with my old friend the Ori. I absolutely love the thick, powerful, hard hitting, wide and deep sound, with the LP and Gumby. After hearing other people's thoughts, I don't think this sound is for everyone, but it sure is for me. I would like to add, that I listen at pretty loud volumes, and love to feel the music. Once you get loud enough, the dynamics kick in, and sounds explode all around. This sound sig, lets me listen for long sessions loud, without getting fatigued. If you are a low level listener, than the LP w/Brimar CV2492 tubes + Gumby + Ori, might not be for you, as it would be too muddy, and slow.

Happy Friday!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #2,424 of 2,544
Well, I woke up early to spend the morning, with my old friend the Ori. I absolutely love the thick, powerful, hard hitting, wide and deep sound, with the LP and Gumby. After hearing other people's thoughts, I don't think this sound is for everyone, but it sure is for me. I would like to add, that I listen at pretty loud volumes, and love to feel the music. Once you get loud enough, the dynamics kick in, and sounds explode all around. This sound sig, lets me listen for long sessions loud, without getting fatigued. If you are a low level listener, than the LP w/Brimar CV2492 tubes + Gumby + Ori, might not be for you, as it would be too muddy, and slow.

Happy Friday!

After reading many of your post here, I am inclined to believe that we pretty much like the same sound signature.
My guess is that you prefer a sound that leans toward more musical than too much detail and analytical.

I like as much detail as I can get, but still lean to the side of musical....I am also a pretty loud listener and listen to mostly blues...I'd say about 75%
When you listen to the blues you have to feel it more than most music IMHO. So loud is good.

I like detail, but too much and you bring too much brightness into play.
I only play digital files and with a lot of newer music, I feel it is much too bright to begin with.
I love tubes to warm things up.

The Ori definitely provides a sound when amped correctly that is very powerful and most definitely very musical.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #2,425 of 2,544
So late to the party in responding to your question. Well @Pharmaboy basically summed it up as well as I could.

I owned the AFO at least a year ago and giving exact deatails from memory comparing the 2 would be unfair. My recollection to the best of my ability is the Ori suites my preferred sound signature much more then the AFO. The Ori has more meat on the bone, a much fuller sound, extraordinary bass compared to the AFO and a better overall tonality. I thought the AFO was boring to me other then having solid mids and the kick drums were as
Close to “real” as it gets through a headphone. They really excelled there. Even though the Ori is a closed back, I thought it had a more expansive, wide and deep soundstage versus the AFO which I thought was a bit claustrophobic. I’m also treble sensitive but in no way do I think the Ori is sibilant in anything I listen too and to me?...they’re spot on. The AFO doesn’t resolve as well and bottom line, I sold it because the Ori was going to get the headtime versus the AFO. I don’t think the AFO is a bad headphone by any means but it just doesn’t suite my preferred SS because it wasn’t as musical and the bass didn’t hit as hard as the Ori.
The Ori is just so organic, much more musical versus analytical and eats up tubes which is all I use.
Just sublime.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #2,426 of 2,544
So late to the party in responding to your question. Well @Pharmaboy basically summed it up as well as I could.

I owned the AFO at least a year ago and giving exact deatails from memory comparing the 2 would be unfair. My recollection to the best of my ability is the Ori suites my preferred sound signature much more then the AFO. The Ori has more meat on the bone, a much fuller sound, extraordinary bass compared to the AFO and a better overall tonality. I thought the AFO was boring to me other then having solid mids and the kick drums were as
Close to “real” as it gets through a headphone. They really excelled there. Even though the Ori is a closed back, I thought it had a more expansive, wide and deep soundstage versus the AFO which I thought was a bit claustrophobic. I’m also treble sensitive but in no way do I think the Ori is sibilant in anything I listen too and to me?...they’re spot on. The AFO doesn’t resolve as well and bottom line, I sold it because the Ori was going to get the headtime versus the AFO. I don’t think the AFO is a bad headphone by any means but it just doesn’t suite my preferred SS because it wasn’t as musical and the bass didn’t hit as hard as the Ori.
The Ori is just so organic, much more musical versus analytical and eats up tubes which is all I use.
Just sublime.
Well said! Ori is Organic.

On another note, I have been cable swapping for the last couple of days, and the ZMF Silver Michanikos, is a great match with the Ori. The Silver Michanikos, takes the Ori over the top.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,427 of 2,544
Well said! Ori is Organic.

On another note, I have been cable swapping for the last couple of days, and the ZMF Silver Michanikos, is a great match with the Ori. The Silver Michanikos, takes the Ori over the top.

Zach actually calls this cable "brighter" on the web site (ie, than his OCC copper cables). Is that what you hear? Or is it more complicated than just bright/dark?

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,428 of 2,544
edited.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #2,429 of 2,544
It is really hard to put it all into words, and I just started cable swapping, because I can finally tell a difference, since adding the Gumby to my chain. However, I feel the Silver Michanikos gives a bit more treble extension, and overall sharpens things up just a bit. The name of the cable is perfect, and for the Ori/LP/Gumby, is a great match

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2,430 of 2,544
If anybody has an ori with the mark 2 headband (the crummy rubber one) and you use the pilot pad I'd recommend trying to find a spare t50rp mark 3 headband. My mk3 t50's just crapped after one too many mods, so I pilfered their headband and put it on my ori's. Noticeably less clamp, but somehow they seem to be staying on my head just as well. A little lighter as well to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back