ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Dec 3, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #1,771 of 2,544
Jelt, I consider my amp knowledge to be secondary to your own, you've had the privilege of trying some very cool and obscure stuff I have not. I hope we get to meet one day. I haven't heard many of the amps you offered up for comparison, but I can tell you it whips the respective booties of the Rag, Tarus (and most of the others I'm familiar within that price range). I can't comment on any of the Eddie Current stuff because they are never at shows. I'm certainly curious about it. Anyway, I would be very interested to hear what you think of the Milo.

Thanks for that. Just hoped to establish some common reference! I have to say I dig the looks of this amp, and I do think single-ended is the way to go for headphone amps in general.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,772 of 2,544
Thanks for that. Just hoped to establish some common reference! I have to say I dig the looks of this amp, and I do think single-ended is the way to go for headphone amps in general.

Yeah, Jeff Wells really opened my mind to the benefits of unbalanced designs. I asked him about it directly when I was reviewing the Milo. I'll quote his email here directly. I found his answer to be very interesting.

Me:
"Why did you decide to go unbalanced as opposed to balanced with Milo?"

Jeff:
"All of my designs to date are unbalanced. The original amplifier was an unbalanced design and every amplifier product since is a derivative - they are all unbalanced. I personally believe that there are real advantages to unbalanced over balanced designs. Half the parts count means more money can be allocated for better parts quality. Although balanced designs do not double power into 4 ohm loads, and so look less powerful, that is misleading as the dynamic range is greater in an unbalanced design and unbalanced designs have always sounded less dynamically compressed and strained sounding to me. Unbalanced almost always sounds more effortless dynamically.

Balanced designs have always sounded more "electronic" to me. Maybe because the signal is being manipulated by more parts. And last but not least is that balanced designs are known for the ability to reject common mode noise and have less loss over long interconnect runs. I will concede these facts, but my designs are already known to be among the quietest in the world and dynamic powerhouses. And with headphones nobody I know is running especially long interconnects. I approach the noise issue with different and groundbreaking technology. The unbalanced vs. balanced debate is an interesting one and one that is misunderstood by many audiophiles. Balanced is not automatically better. Some day I am going to add a blog to the website explaining the pros and cons to each."

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #1,773 of 2,544

It is, actually. I did the world premiere review on it. Based on it's incredible synergy with the Omni, Abyss and HE-500, I traded in my beloved Cavalli Liquid Crimson to buy it and some DanaCables. This thing destroys everything under $3k and gives plenty of devices between $4-$7k a run for their money. (For the record, it doesn't destroy the Liquid Crimson, it is just better with the power-hungry Abyss and the Ori, which are my most used headphones).

You can read my full review here (but feel free to ask me anything): http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1216/Wells_Audio_Milo_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

I own the following amps in that under $3K price range, all of which I consider to be great values too, and I've gotten really good feedback from anyone who's auditioned them next to my EC Studio (well, relative prices considered):

Inspire IHA-1
Apex Sangaku
Glenn EL3N
ECP L-2

Can you compare them to some of these? I also have owned Schiit Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus MKII, EC Black Widow, but I consider them a tier below and have sold them- nonetheless if you've heard them I would also love to just establish some common reference points.

Also, you mention it gives more expensive amps a run for their money too. Let's get right to the top, then- if you have ever heard an EC Studio, I'd be curious how it compares.

Thanks in advance!

I am hoping that someday I will be fortunate enough to own one of Glenns EL3N amps.

I have not even looked for another amp for my HD800 ever since I bought my custom OTL from him, and the tube rolling options are off the hook.
The Ori sounds great on it running a pair of Tung Sol 6336B tubes as powers and I know the EL3N amp would make it sing to a new level.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,775 of 2,544
My coffee Zebrawood Ori ships this week. :)

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,776 of 2,544
My coffee Zebrawood Ori ships this week.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do love the look of those, congrats!

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,777 of 2,544
It was supposed to ship early in the December 4th week, but I have no indication it shipped yet. Hoping to get it next week now.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,778 of 2,544
I've had the omni for just over a year. It's the longest time I've ever had a set with out looking to upgrade. Still impressed. Still happy

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,779 of 2,544
It was supposed to ship early in the December 4th week, but I have no indication it shipped yet. Hoping to get it next week now.

All the Coffee Ori's that haven't shipped yet will go out tomorrow.  (12/8/16)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 8, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #1,780 of 2,544
All the Coffee Ori's that haven't shipped yet will go out tomorrow.  (12/8/16)

Thanks Zach! I wasn't expecting a reply. Getting it out today is awesome considering how late I ordered it.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,781 of 2,544
I got my email that my ? Was shipped!

In the email it showed the following as the item shipped:

ZMF LTD Coffee Zebra ?

I guess it is a surprise shipment to me, but I bet I know what is in the package. :)

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,782 of 2,544
I was correct! It was an Ori in the package, LOL.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,784 of 2,544
Isolation is great. Very little leakage. Weight is well distributed. I weigh 150 and never had a problem with my neck

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,785 of 2,544
Leakage is minimal.  I use mine at work and listen at a decent level.  My co-workers (who sit within reaching distance from me) cannot hear my music at all.

As for the weight, you will get used to it.  I went from Denon D2K headphones (very light) to these.  It was a big change, and at first I was concerned they would be too heavy.  But after a few days, I got used to it.  Now I can wear the all day at work!

The only portable amp I've tried with the Omni is my Mini3, and that little amp drives the Omni/Ori just fine!  But since I am only using these headphones at work, I don't need the portability.  In fact, I'm selling/trading my Mini3 portable amp and Gamma1 dac if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back