ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,801 of 2,544
I really thinking as a beginner, a solid state amp might be best for a first headphone amp.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,803 of 2,544
I am thinking Jotunheim with Bimby or Mjolnir 2 with Jumby.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #1,805 of 2,544
I would hardly call those beginner amplifiers. The Jotunheim is still the cheapest balanced amp, sure... but its still $400

I am a beginner with headphones, but not hifi audio. I have always had a floor speaker system before, but cut it back after getting married 17 years ago. As a chemical engineer, I make enough that I don't mind spending more.

I have also have a QP1R that I bought a year ago and have been using with JH Angie II IEMs.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,806 of 2,544
The ori really likes power. You've got an $800 headphone that scales very well. If you make the money , why go with half measures? Get the amp you really want. Do the research. Read through this forum to see what the experienced guys like. The wells audio milo, the Taurus mk2 , microzotl 2, the ifi pro, decwares. Just sayin, I wish I could start over. I have 6 amps here. Could be 2 very nice amps.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,807 of 2,544
The ori really likes power. You've got an $800 headphone that scales very well. If you make the money , why go with half measures? Get the amp you really want. Do the research. Read through this forum to see what the experienced guys like. The wells audio milo, the Taurus mk2 , microzotl 2, the ifi pro, decwares. Just sayin, I wish I could start over. I have 6 amps here. Could be 2 very nice amps.

I have done that and it is basically up to me just making a decision. Mention any of the amps and someone won't like it. I have to make a decision and move on. My budget is about $3000 total maximum and that would also have to buy the JBL 305s and 410 sub. That leaves around $2000 for the amp and dac if I allow a few dollars for cables and incidentals.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,808 of 2,544
I have done that and it is basically up to me just making a decision. Mention any of the amps and someone won't like it. I have to make a decision and move on. My budget is about $3000 total maximum and that would also have to buy the JBL 305s and 410 sub. That leaves around $2000 for the amp and dac if I allow a few dollars for cables and incidentals.

Unless you need an amp right now, I'd wait to see what the ZMF Sonnare is all about. Right in your budget while still allowing for a great DAC and should drive your Ori and the ZMF dynamics both really well.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,810 of 2,544
Unless you need an amp right now, I'd wait to see what the ZMF Sonnare is all about. Right in your budget while still allowing for a great DAC and should drive your Ori and the ZMF dynamics both really well.

I decided on a Jotunheim, Bimby, JBL 305s, JBL 310. That uses most of my budget, but leaves an amount to add to again where I can get an OTL amp. I have nothing now, so my budget has to buy a dac, speakers and amp. I will get an OTL amp later when I don't need to outlay for speakers and a dac at the same time. That gives time for the ZMF amp to be released.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,811 of 2,544
I decided on a Jotunheim, Bimby, JBL 305s, JBL 310. That uses most of my budget, but leaves an amount to add to again where I can get an OTL amp. I have nothing now, so my budget has to buy a dac, speakers and amp. I will get an OTL amp later when I don't need to outlay for speakers and a dac at the same time. That gives time for the ZMF amp to be released.

I'd get the Mimby over the Bimby at this point and save some extra money for a Gumby later down the line. The difference is negligible. Although I hear it's a different story if using some really nice speakers.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,812 of 2,544
I'd get the Mimby over the Bimby at this point and save some extra money for a Gumby later down the line. The difference is negligible. Although I hear it's a different story if using some really nice speakers.

Can I just say that I'm pretty bummed "Mambo" and "Bimbo" didn't take off as the official voweled versions of MMB and BMB?  

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,813 of 2,544
Until I get my desk as clear as possible (dual monitor arm arrives today), I want to verify measurements before I order. The Gumby might fit well as the DAC becomes more future proof. Yggy will never fit.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,814 of 2,544
The SVS SB-1000 is not as tall as the JBL 310s, so it would fit under my desk much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back